Help needed - no iron or gunpowder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raghnall
    The key behind Longbowmen is ... numbers.

They can take out Musketmen and Musketeers. Heck, If you have enough of them, they can take out riflemen. The key is to be prepared to lose > 1 (like 2 or 3) to take out 1 defender.
    Don't you think it's the right time to utilize catapult ? Instead of letting your Longbowman die attacking healthy musketeer, you could bombard them before sending your Longbowman. Besides, your catapult will also augment your defender when attacked.

I won't care about destroying city improvement, since my goal is to take the resource in the city.

Comment

All right: no buying, but attacking with MASSES of Longbowmen AND Catapults.
      Yours,

LionQ.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilopediaCity
        Your masses of longbowmen and catapults will have a defense strenght of 1. Your best defense unit is the spearman and has 2. Your attack will be received with musketmen and knights, and the counterattack against your cities will come with knights and they will bust your spearmen very easily.

Not good idea, dont folow his advice.
        Vini, Vidi, Poluti.

Comment

Don't forget to bring enough defender! Catapult will only augment defense with its autobombard which isn't lethal. The attacker will eventually fight with your defender.

Also try to move your force behind rough terrain cover, therefor enemy's knight will be forced to stop near you before attacking. They're vulnerable to bombardment that way.

With ratio of 1 attacking knight (70 shield) versus 3 catapult + 1 spearmen (80 shield) fortified on and behind rough terrain, the knight will recieve 6 salvo of bombardment before it meet our spearmen.

Also watch your coast in case your enemy smuggle their unit behind you.
          Last edited by Ekanata; September 25, 2002, 03:51.

Comment

More good tips, but more bad news - No Coal! Also, some minor cities that I built to try and culture flip some invading cities, have themselves been culture flipped. Aargh.

Comment

And let the fun begin.

Comment

ANQ (another Dumb question)...

I have been in the position of not having iron or coal. My biggest concern was around not building railroads. I had the thought in one game that, since I had iron, that once I had oil I could build RRs. That was NOT true!

The question... in the absence of coal, is there some point in time where I will be able to build RRs?

Carlos

Comment

In a word no. You will need to trade or take any missing resources. They have to be in your strategic box to allow contruction according to the doc.

Comment

Originally posted by XOR

Your masses of longbowmen and catapults will have a defense strenght of 1. Your best defense unit is the spearman and has 2. Your attack will be received with musketmen and knights, and the counterattack against your cities will come with knights and they will bust your spearmen very easily.

Not good idea, dont folow his advice.
                    Good critical! But I he stays in the environment of Hills and Mountains and Forests the Units will be OK with a guardian like a Spearman.
                    Yours,

LionQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergus Horkan
                      More good tips, but more bad news - No Coal! Also, some minor cities that I built to try and culture flip some invading cities, have themselves been culture flipped. Aargh.
                      Stop the Game!
                      Yours,

LionQ.

Comment

Stop the Game!
                        Best advice so far! I tried a couple of sneak attacks on riflemen with my riders, and had very little success. I could not be bothered to try and build 100 longbowmen and watch them get mowed by cavalry! So chalk another one up for the AI.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergus Horkan
                          Best advice so far! I tried a couple of sneak attacks on riflemen with my riders, and had very little success. I could not be bothered to try and build 100 longbowmen and watch them get mowed by cavalry! So chalk another one up for the AI.
                          Hey, could you post your save? I think it'd be an interesting challenge… I'd like to see how I fare in the situation I try to put the AI in. I'm sure we'll be running into it in PTW.
                          Reality is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Comment

Originally posted by jabberwockysr

Hey, could you post your save?
                            I'll try, but two questions:

- which save do you want (I doubt if I have the 4000BC file), but I could post either my earliest or latest saves

- how do I do it?

Fergus

Comment

If you could zip it, then in the reply screen click on Browse…, then you should be able to select the file from wherever it is stored.

I'd rather a file from around when you discovered you had no gunpowder, but any time after that would be good.

I think this would be a good addition to the AU…
                              Reality is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Comment

AU?
                                Yours,

LionQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X