Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the end game screen shot of my capitol
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

oops. here it really is
      Attached Files
      -connorkimbro
      "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

and here is the city view screen
        Attached Files
        -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

and the culture advisor
          Attached Files
          -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Your army was one spearman? Must have been a Killer Spearman, if it got you through the ages

I suppose you paid every tribute ever asked for...

Comment

Lucky you didn't end up with "spearman gum" ..... groan...

Comment

I have won a OCC on warlord or regent, (can't remember which). The win was by culture around 1900 something. It was on a tiny map with 3 opponents. There were no luxuries at all on the entire map for some unknown reason. In the end of the game, the whole world was in MPP with each other, and the other civs were gratious with me.

I've also tried OCC on higher levels, but failed miserably
                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Whoa... that's one crowded map! Rome is only a stone's throw from your capital!
                  Lime roots and treachery!
                  "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Hey, i figured if those damn spearman can kill my tanks, they'd been good enough to defend my city.

Except for barbarians at the beginning, i was never even attacked. A few of the civs demanded tribute a few times, but never very much, and i was more than able to make it up from selling techs.

Crowded map, lol, you bet. Standard map size, and so 7 civs, but tons of water and lots of islands, so not much land space.

It actually might work better on a pangea continent, that way the other civs would fight with eachother more, as well as getting contact with them much sooner in the game.

BTW, those damn spartans (the city right below my capital) kept wanting to join up with my civ. I wonder why? I kept having to tell them NO. LOL. I think they tried to join my civ like, 5 times, before the greeks started putting much culture into it.
                    -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Well I just tried a OCC, Regent, Egyept, small map, islands. Won by culture 2004.

Started at a moderate site, grassland, forest, some jungle, one hill - it could easily have been better. No river or bonus food. I moved my settler to the coast and found a fish and built my base in range of two furs (+1 shield).

The fish and two forest furs did provide good production and I got the following wonders:
                      Collosus
                      Great Lighthouse (used it to make some slightly profitable trades..)
                      Great Library (Saved some cash buying tech)
                      Sistine
                      Shakespheare (+8 culture!!!!!)
                      Copernicus' Observatory
                      Issac Newton's College
                      Universal Sufferage

I made a killing selling tech in the industrial age, after building the two +100% science wonders i was getting tech every 7-11 turns and could sell it for tech or GPT deals, or prefferably both.
                      At my richest I was sitting on 8000 gold.

The Americans were by far the most powerful, reaching tech every 4 at the end of the medieval age, I had to steal several tech from them because it was cheaper than buying. I funded this stealing with the GPT deals I got from them, the romans and the Aztecs.

I got attacked once by my only neighbour, Rome. I hate Romans. I had a few units and they fought off the Roman invasion and the Romans left me in peace for the rest of the game.

I was lucky enough to have Iron and Coal in range of my city (not in radius tho), I had to use a colony for both, and wouldn't have had either if Roman cities didn't flip to me (I immediately disbanded them).
                      I traded for rubber and upgraded all my units to Infantry. Had a standing defense of 4 infantry and 4 artillery.

At the end I was 3 turns away from building United Nations.
                      (I proceeded to play a few more turns and nuked and invaded the romans with the help of my American allies)

I had a score of around 160, rank Worthless. Making the cultural victory seem all the more hollow.
                      I'll post screenies next time I am in Windows.
                      Last edited by Blake; September 1, 2002, 22:52.

Comment

good job, blake! from my experience (and from reading yours) winning OCC is all about that very subtle diplomacy early in the game . . . that's the only way to stay on top tech wise, and so the only way to have a chance at building the wonders. I've had one winning game (a rather easy win) and one losing game (was really close at the beginning, and then had no chance towards the end. it could easily have gone the other way) but my games were at warlord, so the fact you did it at reagent is awesome.
                        -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Other OCC Victories

Hi Connor and folks,

A few months ago, there were a couple of other threads about OCC games. Here's a link to one of them:

[URL=http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39296&highlight=quest]

Playing the Persians and Greeks under Deity could produce some excellent OCC spaceship victories. I've never tried an OCC Cultural game under any level, but it might be fun.

What patch level are you playing under?

My successes were with 1.17 and under. I don't think I've had an OCC victory since 1.21 and 1.29 game out and tech-whoring went away.

Talk to you later.

- TT

Comment

Hi all,
                            I just finished to win the game with diplomatic victory in 1874 in Difficult level . It was a hard stuff. I am a little disapointed by the points obtained : 2 675.
                            The best point is to spending not so time to play ;-)
                            Nice play anyway.
                            Is someone wins the game in an upper level ?
                            Gandhi II

Comment

Good job, lemu, what were your strategies? How'd the game play out?

ToeTruck: I'm playing under 1.29, and didn't use any exploits, just played straight up.
                              -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Hi Connor,

Getting an OCC victory under 1.29 is a major accomplishment as far as I'm concerned. No matter what level and no matter what conditions.

I'll give English Glory shot. Trying for OCC using a Commercial/Expansionistic civ sounds like a big challenge.

- TT

Comment

Working...
                                X