OCC Victory: Cultural Win in 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC Victory: Cultural Win in 2006

I just finished my first OCC game in civ3, winning via cultural domination in 2006 ad. Has anyone else attempted this, achieved this? What are the records? What other methods of winning?

I'm sure I didn't take the best approach, i was never a great OCC player, even in civ2, but it was always a fun challenge.

I played as the egyptions, and had build the following city improvements and wonders:
    palace (of course)
    temple
    library
    cathedral
    university
    colosseum
    Great Pyramids
    Hanging Gardens
    Great Library
    The Oracle
    Copernicus' Observatory
    Shakespears Theater.
    Iron Works.

I was 1 turn away from building Issac Newton's College thing when the romans got it, and 3 turns away from J.S. Bach's cathedral when the greeks got it. Also, universal sufferage would have completed building in 2007 (the next turn).
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Good job! What difficulty level?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

oh yeah, warlord.

like i said, i'm not a great player, and it was my first attempt at OCC in civ 3, so i wanted to back it off a little bit, from my usual civ3 level of regent.

a better player than i could do it much faster and a higher level, but hey, i'm happy with my win.
      -connorkimbro
      "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Any level is good to win with OCC. I don't think it would be possible past Regent, hence the lack of discussion.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

even warlord was pretty tough.

OCC in civ3 is definately much harder than it was in civ2. Heck, if i didn't know better, i'd think civ2 was DESIGNED to be played as occ. almost every game mechanic favored it in really odd ways . . . just had to know how to twist the system.

Civ3 doesn't have those twists, and if it does, they havn't been found yet.
          -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Or rather, it was designed to close the loop holes.

They are certainly closing the loop holes as they go for non OCC.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

i'd think a diplomatic OCC win should be easier even than cultural victory. perhaps i'll try a regent game next, and aim for diplomatic.

my strategy will be, play nice with the other boys and girls, and get to fission first. lol
              -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

That would be among the only hopes.

Be nice and prebuild that UN.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

hah, prebuild the UN, and hope that every other civilization chooses to vote for ME, the weakest, smallest civilization on the planet. lol.

perhaps it won't be so easy
                  -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Being able to build Iron works did help I guess
                    lucky break :still, congrats

P.S.: you build the Pyramids??? other then culture points, It must have been really usefull
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

i built the pyramids
                      1) because of the GA
                      2) because of the culture points
                      3) because i didn't need to build anything else at the moment.

iron works did help, but it came rather late in the game, and i probably would have won anyway, though a bit later. i was lucky (to say the least) of getting coal and iron in the same city radius, the only one that i happened to build. i really did have a GREAT start point. right by a river, 2 hills, a mountain, a few plains and some grassland. there were forests over some of the grassland, and there was a furs luxery nearby as well.
                      -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

OCC means OneCityChallenge ???
                        You have only one city and you can win the Game???
                        That you was lucky then with being able to build Ironworks is VERY VERY TRUE...I just finnished a game on a huge map yesterday, conquering the last city on Pangea and only NOW it would be able for me to build ironworks when i dont need anymore (i have now about 300 citys....)
                        Ah, one more question: How big is this city and did you had much wars? How much units do you have???

Comment

Do you have a screenshot of one of your last turns?
                          (your capital)

(btw: this is NOT an 'I don't believe you until you come up with a screenshot' type of question

Just want to see what you city and surroundings look like.
                          Actually I have never done an OCC (always want to, but for some reason...)

Btw2: what were your settings (pangea,.....)
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I don't think Regent Diplomatic OCC is possible. Yes, you can be real nice and prevent them from attacking you (even though, the AI on Regent is less friendly). But then, you'll have the lowest score of all civs, and you'll have to get everyone else to REALLY love you to win the vote.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

OCC means OneCityChallenge ???
                              You have only one city and you can win the Game???
                              That you was lucky then with being able to build Ironworks is VERY VERY TRUE...I just finnished a game on a huge map yesterday, conquering the last city on Pangea and only NOW it would be able for me to build ironworks when i dont need anymore (i have now about 300 citys....)
                              Ah, one more question: How big is this city and did you had much wars? How much units do you have???

Lucky to get iron works? Sure. Lucky to win? Not really, it wasn't too hard.

i had a few early defensive units, but never even bothered to upgrade them. i never fought any wars, though it might have been useful to fight some wars with distant enemies.

Do you have a screenshot of one of your last turns?
                              (your capital)

(btw: this is NOT an 'I don't believe you until you come up with a screenshot' type of question

Just want to see what you city and surroundings look like.
                              Actually I have never done an OCC (always want to, but for some reason...)

Btw2: what were your settings (pangea,.....)

Sure, i can get a screen shot. it will be in my next post.

Settings were standard map size, archipelligoes, 80% water, 8 civs, temperate climate, 5 bil years. roaming barbarians.
                              I don't think Regent Diplomatic OCC is possible.

i'll never know till i try
                              -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Working...
                              X