Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can units in armies generate great leaders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 99% sure Soren posted that Armies cannot create GLs.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

No Leaders From Armies

Mike B. (Firaxis) confirmed over at CFC that units in an army cannot generate leaders. Soren may also have said the same thing elsewhere.

[Units in armies can still be promoted to veteran or elite, though.]

Catt

Comment

Here is the link to Mike B's post, halfway down the page - was looking for a link here at Poly, but can't find one to any official Firaxis response on the subject.

Comment

Too bad we can't take units out of Armies, but that would make the game too easy. Just build a ton of Armies and keep the units updated, the AI would be toast.

One way to make it interesting would be to reduce a unit's level when it entered the Army. In other words, a veteran unit would become a regular unit. That would give some balance to the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bambul
            I wish armies were changed so they became the "lowest common denominator" of the units used to create it. Currently it works like that for movements (eg. 2 cav and 1 tank army moves 2/turn), but if all units have blitz then the army should have blitz, if all units can amphibious assault thenarmy shouls be able to aswell.

A marine army could be very advantageous in my mind....
            I haven't actually played the game that much, so I haven't yet had the opportunity to put units with special abilities into armies. I naturally assumed that an army would inherit any ability common to its units; it sucks that it doesn't.

Incedentally, I assume that an army with 3 units would take up 4 "spaces" in a ship. I haven't tried transporting an army over water yet either, but I know that the army itself and the units it in are considered separate units for purposes of martial law, so the same principle should hold, or so it seems to me.
            "God is dead." - Nietzsche
            "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

John, you are correct regarding the army transport space.

Comment

Marines are weak enough as it is. Marine armies would actually give you a shot at a succesful amphib assault. I think if Firaxis thinks about this they will change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bambul
                  I wish armies were changed so they became the "lowest common denominator" of the units used to create it. Currently it works like that for movements (eg. 2 cav and 1 tank army moves 2/turn), but if all units have blitz then the army should have blitz, if all units can amphibious assault thenarmy shouls be able to aswell.

A marine army could be very advantageous in my mind....
                  wait, don't they already have blitz ability? It seems like as long as my cavalry army can move, they can still attack.
                  Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
                  Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                  "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

Yes, armies can blitz. You can give them the amphibious assault function as well, but then all armies of any type would have that ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                      Yes, armies can blitz. You can give them the amphibious assault function as well, but then all armies of any type would have that ability.
                      By this do you mean the blitz flag is on by default, or do you have to mod it?
                      Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
                      Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                      "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

The blitz flag is on by default. I think it was 1.21f where this change was made.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                          The blitz flag is on by default. I think it was 1.21f where this change was made.
                          Actually, it was 1.17f. I remember that korn469 called it 'a small victory of the blitz mod'.
                          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

So:
                            If Armies can't generate GLs, and
                            Elites can only produce one GL, and
                            If the unit can no longer upgrade, then
                            Elites that have produced a GL are idea for Army duty.
                            Q.E.D.

Props to kring for the additional premise!
                            Last edited by Barchan; July 26, 2002, 09:27.

Comment

True, if the unit can't upgrade. If it can upgrade, then it can once again create a leader, after the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X