Free Palace Jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Palace Jump

After weeks of testing I have found the exact palace jump formula.

When the capital city is razed or abandonned, each city in the empire scores
    • 1 point for each of your citizens
    • 1/3 point for each foreign citizen
    • 1/3 point for every neighbor town (1-6)
    • 2/3 point for every neighbor city (7-12)
    • 1 point for every neighbor metropolis (13+)
    The city with the most points is the new capital!

Only your civ's cities within 8 squares (a 17x17 area) count as neighbors. The old capital does not count at all.

If there is a tie for the most points, the palace jumps to the first city in the database, which is usually the oldest city. After some old cities have been razed the database gets out of order and it's impossible to tell where the palace will go in a tie.

(Edit: Now takes foreign citizens into account)
    (Edit2: Now takes cities and metropoli into account)

Example

I finished the Forbidden Palace in Antium a few turns ago, now I want to jump my palace far away to Kyoto. I add my road-building crew to Kyoto, bringing it to size 5. Then I abandon Rome.

(5) Kyoto
    (1/3) Ravenna 2
    (1/3) Pisae 3
    (1/3) Tokyo 5
    6 points

(4) Neapolis
    (1/3) Cumae 3
    (1/3) Veii 4
    (1/3) Antium 4
    (1/3) Pompeii 7
    (1/3) Tokyo 7
    ( 0 ) Nara 9
    ( 0 ) Pisae 9
    5+2/3 points

(4) Veii
    (1/3) Antium 3
    (1/3) Neapolis 4
    (1/3) Nara 5
    (1/3) Pompeii 5
    (1/3) Cumae 7
    ( 0 ) Tokyo 9
    5+2/3 points

So Kyoto is the new capitol!

The southeast settler could have built a city, giving Veii and Neapolis another 1/3 point and causing a 3-way tie. Kyoto would still win because it was founded in 4000 B.C.

Comment

After weeks of testing I have found the exact palace jump formula

Great job!

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Great job! Thank you!

Your formula definitely agrees with my experience.

Comment

Nice work Dave! Definately helps the peaceful approach. I can't believe nobody else had searched for this yet (including me). This is very useful info.

Comment

Very nice formula to know. Thanks for putting in the time and effort (weeks?!?). I assume you tested for effects of Culture as well? If so, it is really quite surprising that it has no effect (from personal experience, not from a game design perspective).

Dominae
            And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
              I assume you tested for effects of Culture as well? If so, it is really quite surprising that it has no effect (from personal experience, not from a game design perspective).
              Yes, most of the work was eliminating things that have no effect like culture, distance from old palace, and continents.

Comment

Let me add to the chorus of

Great work and thanks for sharing the info.

Catt

Comment

Maybe those folks over on CFC would like to know as well, Dave
                  badams

Comment

Great work, Dave.

This info is also very good to have when capturing enemy cities. This way you can predict where the capital will jump and use it to your advantage.

Comment

Now I just hope I can remember this when playing. But I rather use a great leader, as I normally want to keep the old capitol city even after the palace is moved.
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Thanks for this! I can imagine it took long to test...

DeepO

Comment

Brilliant!

I'll have to remember that one.
                          People want to know why I do this, why I write such gross stuff. I like to tell them that I have the heart of a small boy... and I keep it in a jar on my desk. - Stephen King

Comment

Sounds like a hell lot of work!

Excellent job, thank you very much!

Comment

Really interesting DaveMcW

I think most of use took the "formula" for granted, not bothering to actually discover what it was. It's glad to know people like you dwell deep to find what appently looks like the most basic things.

Good job
                              A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Working...
                              X