No announcement yet.

Free Palace Jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate to spoil the fun, but look at this screenshot.

The sneaky Greeks stabbed me in the back while I was busy fighting the Russians and quickly took half of my empire. This included my capital Paris, which they razed (with Sistine Chapel and everything ). According to the new jumping theory, my capital should have jumped to Zimbabwe, which at size 11 and 10 cities within 8 tiles should get 11+10/3=14 1/3 points. But the capital instead went to Orleans, size 9 and only 7 cities within 8 tiles (9+7/3=11 1/3).

The red dot marks the place Paris used to be. The red line shows cities within 8 tiles of Orleans, and the white line cities within 8 tiles of Zimbabve.

Note that Zimbabwe also has more culture (201 against 168), so that can't explain it.

Any ideas why this happened?

This is on v1.29f.

Comment

Do you have an autosave before you lost Paris?

Comment

Yeah, here it is. Note that is it at the beginning of my own turn, so you need to move some units into Orleans, otherwise it will be captured before Paris. In this case, however, Avignon becomes the new capital.

Maybe the fact that Zimbabwe isn't originally French has something to do with it? Zimbabwe has only 1 french citizen, while Orleans and Avignon both only have French citizens?
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to work out the formula and sharing it with the rest of us.

Comment

Whatever happened with Hurricane's counter-example? Does the formula need revision after all?

Dominae
            And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

The formula certainly needs revision, since we have an example of where the formula doesn't predict the palace jumpå correctly. It may be that cities originally founded by another civ are treated differently.

From DaveMcW's post it didn't look like he had tried with cities founded by other civs - only with foreign citizens, so it may easily be that foreign-founded cities have a lower priority.

I hope you find the anser Dave.
              If you cut off my head, what do I say?
              Me and my body, or me and my head?

Comment

Sorry for taking so long.

I confirmed that foreign citizens only count for 1/3 point, but there is another factor I haven't identified yet. Possibly foreign neighbors.

Comment

Formula works good enough for my needs. Good work.

Comment

Hmm I tried this and it didn't work either.

I poured a bunch of settlers into a new city I wanted to be my new capital..I bought it up to pop 11.

My next highest cities were only pop 5.

my new capital ended up being a city right next to my old capital with a pop of only 5.

Thier were foreign cities around my pop 11 city..

So I think Dave is onto something. Foreign neighbors bordering a city might negate some pionts from it or something to that effect?

It is the only explanation I can come up with.

The initial formula definently does not work though.

I hope a new formula can be found.

Comment

Just a wild guess (I still believe in the foreign pop&neighbor theory): Maybe the period you have owned the city has an effect? So that a new city will have less points than an old city? This will be hard to prove in a test scenario, and might therefore easily be overlooked.

Comment

I was thinking that foreign pop in your city doesn't count or is reduced for the calculation. My city had about half forigners in it..I added a bunch of captured settlers to bring it up to 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane
                          Yeah, here it is. Note that is it at the beginning of my own turn, so you need to move some units into Orleans, otherwise it will be captured before Paris. In this case, however, Avignon becomes the new capital.

Maybe the fact that Zimbabwe isn't originally French has something to do with it? Zimbabwe has only 1 french citizen, while Orleans and Avignon both only have French citizens?
                          Hurricane, that's it right there. According to the formula, foreigners only count 1/3. So if Zimbabwe has only 1 French citizen, then instead of counting pop 11, it would only count 1+10/3=4 1/3. That would be enough to knock Zimbabwe out of the running.

Comment

Originally posted by HolyWarrior

Hurricane, that's it right there. According to the formula, foreigners only count 1/3. So if Zimbabwe has only 1 French citizen, then instead of counting pop 11, it would only count 1+10/3=4 1/3. That would be enough to knock Zimbabwe out of the running.
                            Yes, DaveMcW adjusted his formula after my post.

Comment

Palace jumping brought to the top.

I was wondering if someone had come up with a formula for this and viola! I found it. Could we add this to Theseus's must read thread? Thanks
                              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

All those cities in such a small peninsula

Good job
                                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Working...
                                X