Spies...who needs them?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minke19104
    Except for Americans. They converted to Monarchy in my game instead. Which is pretty damn funny when you think about it.
    They seem to do that often, actually... perhaps emulating their real-life affections?

Does anyone here ever sabotage production?
    You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

I've done it once or twice for wonders. Mad expensive though... It can go up to 7000-8000 or higher when they are near completion...

Comment

Originally posted by minke19104
        I've done it once or twice for wonders. Mad expensive though... It can go up to 7000-8000 or higher when they are near completion...
        But did it work?

Comment

I just use spies to see what the AI is doing. I don't even use them strategically, much. I'm just really nosey.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I don't know... I'm just not willing to spend 2453 gold on Sanitation... especially if there's a dim chance I might not even get it, and start a war...
            Actually I could get same price for let's say Computers, while buying it from AI would be 5000gp minimum.

Comment

I used Espionage in one of my games.
              I had RoP with a civ and gathered my units near their cities so when RoP expired I started a war. I wanted to smash the civ within one turn so I had to know how many units do I need to counqer each city. So I used "Investigate City" about 30 times. It worked
              Iroquois was kicked out of the planet in a SINGLE turn

Comment

player1: re: computers...

wow! that cheap? maybe I should give it a shot again...

epics: 30 TIMES?!? Didn't that cost you a pretty penny?

Comment

Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth

epics: 30 TIMES?!? Didn't that cost you a pretty penny?
                  I think 2000-2500. But I'm sure not more than 3000

I had 1000 per turn so...

Comment

And, um, how did you get 1000 per turn? Were you selling all your valuable techs or what?

Oh well, I guess that's a subject for a different thread. Since in most of my games by the espionage era I'm averaging about anywhere from 150-450 gpt, and new techs every 4 turns (except Ato. The. and Electron. of course), I'd hate to blow my hard-earned money on simply investigating. I'd rather use it to buy temples and courthouses in my annexed cities (democracy for me, thanks!)

Comment

In my current emperor difficulty game, I have a net income of 600-700 gpt, before having built any stock exchanges or the Wall Street (I've just got the tech), while researching a tech every 4th turn, and selling off a tech only every 10th turn or so. I expect the income to pass 1000gpt when I get stock exchanges around everywhere.

So it is not too difficult to rack up large amounts of gold when you get a good empire up and running. The only problem is that this is when you don't need espionage missions.
                      If you cut off my head, what do I say?
                      Me and my body, or me and my head?

Comment

Hmm, well, I guess I need to balance the books a little better, but this is a topic for another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                          Having a spy in an opposing civ so you see their army strength in the F3 is usually not necessary, but it IS interesting and "entertaining". I prefer to do it that way, though I rarely use the other espionage functions.
                          This is normally the only reason why I get myself a spy. Or to provoke the AI to declare war. But I don't put espionage high on the priority list when deciding the research path.
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

It seams to me that spiess are useless; It seams like I can never plant a spy in a civ I am with war with, and with the civs i'm at peace with I can only plant a spy successfully about 25% of the time.

Comment

Bounty hunters...we don't need their scum.

I mean, er, spies. Yes, don't need them spies.

Comment

Of course, I just came to realize recently that in the 2-4 turns after a failed spy mission, any mission you launch against the same target civ is bound to fail.

Well OOPS.

Comment

Working...
                                X