No announcement yet.

Time for AU 204?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds good and thanks Dominae for setting up the game!

Originally posted by Dominae
    Other than Catt, I know of very few players who truly enjoy random games.
    Really? Am I largely alone on that? I kinda thought everyone had favorites but played random as often as not (except Arrian).

If you get a civ you play all the time, you can just start over (but try not to start over just because you think the Koreans suck!).
    And a good, simple solution. I am just finishing a quick small-map game as the Indians, and even though I don't play them often, I'd probably just restart for a fresh civ if I was assigned the Indians.

Catt

Comment

I've taken to playing random Civs of late. More enjoyable IMO. Also resulted in my playing (and doing quite well) with some Civs I had not used previously... like the Zulu and the Indians.

Of course, I think it was a comment by Catt in another thread that inspired me to try it out.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

The last time I played all random starts..... I started on a flood plains 4 times in a row and lost population to disease the turn before my first settler was done EVERYTIME. In spite of that experience I still enjoy all random games the most.

Comment

since we all have different favourite civs, we should enable ALL civs IMHO

if you get to play a civ that you always play, you can still reload (you shouldn't cheat though )
          "Cogito Ergo Sum" - Rene Descartes, French Mathematician

Comment

Catt, you are not alone in playing random games. I play with everything random which is possible to have random, all the time. The exceptions is the barb settings whihc is always the next hardest, and the odd AU game.

(btw, is there any others that see themselves as warmongers that actually truly hate playing the zulus? I don't know why that is so, but they just don't seem to work for me, despite that everyone else seems to love them.)

Comment

Originally posted by BRC

Don't think. Don't ever think. Kill. That's the way they [Zulus] were meant to be played.
              Yes, I know. But as a builder, the zulu are a civ I never took and it would force me to change my playing style radically.

I think what we want to prove in this AU game is how you used the strengths (UU, traits...) of your relatively poor civilization to help you win.

I enjoy a all-random game once in a while but I like to choose my game usually...

--Kon--
              Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

I'm having a bit of trouble setting up the game the way we want it. I cannot restrict the human player's civ options without restricting the AIs' either. If someone can find a work-around, I would love to hear it.

If not, there are two alternatives:

1. Set the restricted list of civs as mentioned, and put that AI civs choices to 'Random'. This means I cannot tweak the scenario to get some Killer AIs. It also means that you'll be facing the least popular civs as well as playing one yourself.

2. Unrestrict all civs. This basically means that you could end up with Egypt, which goes against the "skewed random" feel we want for this game.

If most players agree to only accept a civ they rarely play, the second option is the best one, I think. Until I hear otherwise I will proceed with it as a default.

Dominae
                And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Why, you can modify the start positions on the map to be real civs instead of Player 2, Player 3, etc. Leave the Player 1 civ untouched and set "playable civs" to what was chosen above. It represents the human player. Should work, IMHO.

Comment

I tried that Sir Ralph, and it's a no-go: the editor refreshes all the civs when you change the playable civ list. Too bad.

Another thing: since we're supporting Civ3 1.29 versions of our scenarios, we cannot use expansion civs as AIs unless they're randomly determined. Or else we can just use different bad guys (sorry peacemongers!) for the PTW and standard versions, but that would make the AARs confusing.

I'm going to go ahead and stick with stock Civ3 AIs, but I'm not happy about it (we'll never get to face the Ottomans!).

Dominae

Comment

Sorry everyone, but I have to leave for a couple of hours. The little bug I mentioned above means this is taking longer than I expected. I'll have the game up around 9-10pm tonight. Again, sorry for the delay.

Dominae

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                        I tried that Sir Ralph, and it's a no-go: the editor refreshes all the civs when you change the playable civ list. Too bad.
                        Set the playable list first to the AI civs plus the choosable human civs, then change the start locations to the AI civs. Worked a charm for my cruisades scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Konquest02

Yes, I know. But as a builder, the zulu are a civ I never took and it would force me to change my playing style radically.

I think what we want to prove in this AU game is how you used the strengths (UU, traits...) of your relatively poor civilization to help you win.

I enjoy a all-random game once in a while but I like to choose my game usually...

--Kon--
                          I also have never played the Zulus (Sorry Dom, doesn't look like I'll have time for that Zulu game). I think one of the most important things in this game is how you adapt to the changing scenery. The way this game works (or should work), you will never have as strong of a civ if you build with the Zulus than if you fight.

I also like to choose my civ, but someday you could get involved in a situation that you can't build your way out of. Then what? I understand if you don't like real in-depth games, especially with school on your mind. (School is on your mind, right?) I try to use my UP games as training for the rough ones. I can't stand too much stress from Civ.

Comment

Double Post. My fault fellas.

Comment

For those of you who are waiting patiently by your computer for this game to come up (yeah right), I'll have it up in a few minutes now.

Thanks Sir Ralph, I forgot that once a civ is assigned it is removed from the list of randomly available civs.

Dominae

Comment

Working...
                              X