Time for AU 204?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for AU 204?

I'm a bit busy for the next couple of days, but expect to have some time available over the weekend and next week -- is it time to launch another AU game?

I have the most fun with Civ when I play with all-random variables. The early game, and early decisions, seem to say a lot about individual approaches to the game when the early game starts in a vacuum. What is my research strategy? What do I focus on? Where to expand to? I think a "blind" AU start might be interesting. Perhaps our strategy and tactics might converge as the game progresses, but wouldn't it be interesting to see how our starts differ? Along the lines of Theseus' and Vel's "Winning Early" thread, putting our best foot forward in the early game would seem to offer very important lessons. Any support for a completely random AU game with the core lesson plan focusing on "taking stock and playing to one's strengths from turn one?" (I could generate a random start and then convert it into a sceanrio playable at any level, but with the same map and civs, or at least an almost "random" start ).

Is it time to start another? Other ideas for an AU 204?

Catt

I'm in... been very busy, but I keep playin'. Working on Dominae's "Dark Side Challenge" but ready for more.

I'll leave it up to you guys to develop 204.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I'm definatly game for the next AU. But as it's my first I'll leave it up to the experts to decide what AU 204 is gonna consist of.

BigD
      Holy Cow!!! BigDork's Back!

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?

Comment

I'm ready

Comment

The early part of the game is my favorite as well.

Perhaps we could generate a random map with fixed opponents, and have everyone select their own civ as "random". This would show how each one of us takes advantage of his different civ traits or play style for the same map.

Our AAR would include a detailed timeline up to 10 A.D. (for example), so we can see the differences in early strategy. The nice thing about having everyone play a diffferent civ is that the AARs don't get as repetitive, so even people who finish after a whole month (such as yours truly) can have something new to add.

Comment

Proposal: Mercenary Menagerie

Here's another suggestion for an AU session -- actually, a rather bizarre one I have been kicking around in my head for a little while.

I've been contemplating structuring a varient game based in some way on the concept of using luxuries to hire mercenaries to do most of my war-making. And at the same time, I've been following the progress of the "Menagerie" succession game over in CivFanatics (where any civ can build any UU).

A link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=39756

A combination of these two concepts might be fun to play.
            Specifically, a game could be set up in which:
            1) any AI civ could build any UU;
            2) the player civ could build one type of each UU for each luxury he managed to draw into his territory (e.g., get control of wines and you can build immortals .....)
            3) the player civ would be able to attack or defend in his territory with vanilla units (e.g., spearmen), but would be able to engage in any military activity (including pillaging) only with UUs when in foreign territory;
            4) only wonders could trigger a golden age.

In the CivFan version, most of the pre-play discussion revolved around the upgrade chain. My suggestion would be to cut off upgrades altogether.
            Instead, the player would have to buy UU mercs with luxes. (Think: the late stages of the Roman Empire, descending into decadence.) The (human) player would only be able to build a new type of UU when /f he had control of a new luxury. That is, one type of UU allowed for each luxury controlled. Once you've built a type of UU, you can't switch the luxury/UU assignment for that lux. And if you lose control of the lux, you can no longer build that UU.

Obviously, this would take some work with the editor. Work that, frankly, would be beyond my (limited) skills.
            I figure the player (as well as the AIs, of course) need to be given access to all UUs. (The mercenary rule would have to be observed by the player in his build choices.) And I assume, all UU-triggered golden age activity needs to be switched off.

Is this a loopy idea? Wouldn't it be fun, though, to field an army of immortals and numean mercs and ..... ?
            The strategic implications would be tricky, too: when to "spend" a lux on a particular merc assignment.

If anyone is intrigued, and willing to undertake the editor work - - I'd love to play this out.
            aka, Unique Unit
            Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

Robber, while the concept has merit, I don’t think it fits in with the AU philosophy of limiting the changes to the feel of the game.

Comment

I'm up for the random game... and now to admit to one of my ignorances... what do you mean by AAR? I've searched all I can but I can't find an explanation of the term.

Comment

AAR = After Action Report, as far as I can tell. May stand for something different, but hey, the gist is there. It's basically your report of how your game progressed, different strategies, AI behaviors, et al.

Comment

I'm ready for an AU game. GO! But please include AU for 1.29.

AAR = After Action Report
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                      Perhaps we could generate a random map with fixed opponents, and have everyone select their own civ as "random". This would show how each one of us takes advantage of his different civ traits or play style for the same map.

Our AAR would include a detailed timeline up to 10 A.D. (for example), so we can see the differences in early strategy. The nice thing about having everyone play a diffferent civ is that the AARs don't get as repetitive, so even people who finish after a whole month (such as yours truly) can have something new to add.
                      This sounds pretty interesting to me. How to exploit the inherent advantages of any given civ from a fixed location; or how to play to the strenghts (even if not necessarily the optimal play strategy).

Do others find this interesting / worthwhile? It would be nice to get one going no later than the weekend.

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Catt

This sounds pretty interesting to me. How to exploit the inherent advantages of any given civ from a fixed location; or how to play to the strenghts (even if not necessarily the optimal play strategy).

Do others find this interesting / worthwhile? It would be nice to get one going no later than the weekend.

Catt
                        Sounds fun! Just hope I don't get, say, England.

Comment

Originally posted by Catt

Catt
                          I like this idea too. Plus if you get a bad start you can play again as a different civ and not suffer from de-sha-vu (I can't spell in English so don't expect much from my French)

Comment

i like alexman's idea as well and i would love to participate
                            "Cogito Ergo Sum" - Rene Descartes, French Mathematician

Comment

Yep, time for another AU.

I like alexman's idea, but there is problem that some of us might get "stuck" with a pretty common civ (Americans for me, Romans for nye, Chinese for Arrian, and Egyptians for everyone else!).

To address this and force most people to really change their usual play habits, maybe we could disable all Industrious civs. For those of us who play MP, I'm sure this will be a breath of fresh air.

Dominae
                              And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Working...
                              X