X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking advice (PBEM strategy q's)

Ok, I'm looking for advice.

The Situation:

I'm playing a PBEM game with my best friend and my girlfriend. Monarchy level, standard across the board except for sedentary barbs. My gf is apparently stuck on a mediocre island, and is thus not a concern (at least for now) but my friend Tom and I are both on the main continent.

He is Egypt. I am China.

The Ottomans are between us, but he warrior rushed them and took down Istanbul. They have 2 other cities, both of which I plan to hit relatively soon.

While he was doing that, I researched pottery, built a granary, and started pumping settlers from my capitol (not an "ideal" settler pump, in that I am only at +3 food/turn, but still pretty solid).

I have 6 cities built, with a settler team on the move (3 turns until new city built) and a settler under construction (3 or 4 turns to go). It looks like Tom has 4 cities, plus Istanbul = 5 (istanbul is pretty crap, though). My terrain is nice. His looks good, but not as nice.

The Greeks are on the other side of me (I'm almost exactly in the middle of the map). They are weak, due to poor location. Tom will meet them shortly. So, from North to South (with a little East to West orientation as well) it's the Greeks, Me, Ottomans, Egypt.

Tech: Tom and I both have: masonry, warrior code, the wheel, bronze, iron, pottery, alphabet, ceremonial burial, mysticism (I think). I have writing, and so do the Greeks (Tom doesn't). I have been trying to sell it to him for cash, but that deal hangs in the balance while his exploring warrior nears Greece. If he gets much closer, I am considering gifting all tech I know to Greece, to prevent Tom from buying it on the cheap.

Resources: I have two sources of iron within easy reach. I do not have horses. Tom has horses, and they're already hooked up. I don't know about iron (none hooked up as of embassy build, and my exploring warriors have seen none on the outskirts of his territory, but that proves nothing). The Ottomans also have horses next to what is now their capitol. That city lies directly between Tom and I.

My plan is to upgrade some vet warriors to swords and finish of the Ottomans, thus gaining horses and spices (they beat me to a city spot by 1 turn... I built next to it, but they control the tiles for now... I'm not wasting time building temples as China. Well, I'm building one, but nevermind that ).

Luxuries: I have ivory hooked up, wine will be connected next turn. Spices within reach, I just have to whack the 2nd Ottoman city to get them. I know Tom has wine.

Geographical setup: The western 1/2 to 2/3 of the part of the continent that lies between China and Egypt is jungle. Good for me: no war chariots. The eastern 1/3 to 1/2 is mostly flat... desert, with some hills & a mountain next to the Ottoman capitol. That concerns me, of course. Tom's homeland has mountains up north (good cover for a sword invasion), but flattens out down by Thebes.

Miscellanious: I'm gaining 14 gold per turn right now, researching code of laws at 10%. I was going to do that with HBR, but feared getting it too soon (need time after capturing the Ottoman capitol to build some chariots for upgrade). I think I have about 45 gold right now. If Tom agrees to the writing deal, I stand to receive somewhere between 100 and 150 gold (his offer, my counter). *prays for upgrade cash*

Early on, Tom and I made a tech deal (Alpabet + 20 gold for Ironworking) which included a "non-agression" agreement until 500BC. I fully expect all hell to break loose in 500BC.

So, how do ya'll think I ought to proceed? I'm leaning toward shooting for an initial warrior -> sword upgrade of 8-10 units. I would then divide them between the two Ottoman cities, provide the mini-stacks with 1 spear each, and go whoop some ass. This would give me horses.

Meanwhile, my main opponent has his War Chariots, which are cheap. If he gets his grubby paws on iron, he can use all available cash for sword upgrades. I either have to eat the 50% extra cost of building horsemen, or do a chariot -> horse upgrade at 20 gold per unit. Fighting him, which is so going to happen (either I start it, or he will, no doubt about it), will involve a GA for him, with 20-shield 2/1/2 units available. Ouch.

How do I beat that? Do I try strategic defense, until I bleed him dry? Or do I attack? I'm inclined to attack, but if it fails, I'm probably dead. High risk, high reward.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

My main thought would be that you need to be able to take down War Chariots and that means attacking them with horsemen so they can't retreat. You need the horses, otherwise your friend will dictate combat in open terrain with his fast units.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

My opinion:

Build your mini stacks of Swordsmen, and make sure that you have a road network running all the way up to the Ottoman empire. Take the two cities, praying for 0 casualties. Have a couple of workers ready to hook up the cities and horses.

Let your Swordsmen heal, and then send them along toward Egypt. Try and stick to high ground and just do some recon.
      Keep a look out for your friend preparing to attack you.

Build your chariots and prepare to upgrade to horsemen. If you can, try to send them out in waves, so that you have some in reserve for a mobile defense if you fear an attack by WCs.

I think that your swordsmen should mass outside of one of his cities and prepare to attack at 500 B.C. Even if it's not the greatest, it will make him rethink his plans when he sees your stack. Use this stack to hit his worst defended cities. Your waves of horseman should come straight up the middle and hit his units that pop out. Try and stay outside of his road network, or your horsemen may be slaughtered. Use these as a frontline defense. Keep turning out units at home and send them to reinforce. Keep an eye out for a sneaky counterattack.
      Keep your stack of Swordsmen alive.

If this doesn't make sense, just assume that I didn't picture the map correctly, and ignore it.

Comment

That's for certain. I just hope to hell I have enough time to take down that Ottoman city before he decides to, thus denying me the horsies.

I know he has a barracks in Thebes (thank you, Mr. Ambassador, sir!), but I don't think he's built that many attack units. The initial warrior rush gave way to some settler builds, obviously. If he's unwilling to blow his GA to take that Ottoman city, he will have to do it with Swords (archers highly unlikely... he hates 'em, and they really are a waste of shields at this point).

My military is starting to get set up. I have 1 barracks built, another set to complete in 2 turns, and my capitol just started one too. That means pumping out the required vet warriors will go quickly. Cash is more of a concern. The next town I build will put iron w/in my borders. I still have to road to it and road the tile itself (it's due east of my capitol, so not far).

I am well below the "allowed units" number, so I can build units without harming cashflow for a bit. At least that's not a worry. So I'm considering building more vet warriors than I can possibly afford to upgrade anytime soon. I can connect the iron, upgrade those I can afford, and hit the Ottomans. The remaining vet warriors can hang out awaiting more cash.

Perhaps I should switch research to HBR now, and forget about CoL. CoL has high trade value... later in the game. But now? I think I may have made a mistake there. Luckily, I think I've only blown 2 turns of 10% research on it.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Crosspost w/BRC.

That's pretty much what I want to do. Except for that "waves" thing. Holding a horseman or two in reserve for mobile defense is one thing. But when I attack, I'm going to want just about all the hitting power I've got with me.

-Arrian

Comment

One thing is for certain:

This is going to be an ugly fight. I have to admit I'm quite worried I may lose.

I guess "winning" isn't really necessary. If we get into a slugfest, and stalemate, that benifits me. His GA is blown fighting me, and I still have my Riders to look forward to.

-Arrian

Comment

That's pretty much what I want to do. Except for that "waves" thing. Holding a horseman or two in reserve for mobile defense is one thing. But when I attack, I'm going to want just about all the hitting power I've got with me.
              You know best. Get him.

I guess "winning" isn't really necessary. If we get into a slugfest, and stalemate, that benifits me. His GA is blown fighting me, and I still have my Riders to look forward to.
              This is what I was trying to say. Just make him feel like he is pressured and take advantage of any opportunities that arise. If there are no opportunities, then just hold. Good luck!

Comment

I would set up one huge swordman/spearman SOD and march straight for his core cities. The goal is to force him to fight WC vs. Spearman, a fair fight if you have some horsemen to pick off redlined WCs. Be sure to have a steady stream of spearmen reinforcements.

If your swordmen get to his cities unscathed you have won the game. If not, he will still have blown his GA fighting in his own territory.

The key to pulling this off is to have a bigger army than him when the war starts.

Comment

I thought WCs were 1.1.2.
                  Or did your 2.1.2 assume a cheap upgrade?
                  "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Cs are 1.1.2

WCs are 2.1.2

Comment

Were WCs always 2.1.2?
                      I must be losing my mind.
                      "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Dave:

That makes sense. Nothin' fancy, just go for the jugular.

The big thing is getting my attack stack up into his northern mountains before he can hit it with WCs.

So I guess I need lots of spearmen: enough to absorb the WC attacks until I can reach the mountains.

-Arrian

Comment

ducki,

Yeah, always 2.1.2. It's an awesome UU.

-Arrian

Comment

Arrian:

Nutshell: fight for a stalemate with Egypt over the dead body of the Turks. Then go for a massive Rider upgrade.

Too bad its the Greeks on the other side. Anyone else but them (or Carthage) and you could have tried to gain some size on Egypt with your horsemen you were building up for the Rider upgrade.

Is the continent big enough to max out your productive cities?
                            Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

Brizey,

I have a good chunk of good terrain. There is a large jungle to my southwest and another smaller jungle due east, between me and the Greeks. I have the best terrain on the continent. Egypt has the next best terrain. The continent overall is plenty big enough (though it will take some work to clear the big jungle) for a powerful empire.

Even if it wasn't the Greeks to my East/NorthEast, I wouldn't fight that civ, for fear of being hit from behind by Egypt. Frankly, I intend to buy an alliance w/Greece vs. Egypt. Even though they probably won't provide much help, I cannot afford to leave them neutral. My friend is smart enough to buy their services.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X