Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with spies

Can someone tell me how spies work?

I got thde intel agency adn put a spy into persia, but I never got the option of an espionage mission.

Also, my military advisor tells me we need a spy in persia to view their troop locations.

Then, I tried to plant another spy, but the option for persia wasn't there.

How do you control spies?

What's going on?
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Do you see that E button on the right of the box in the bottom right?

Comment

You plant just one spy in each of the civs at a time. Their planting may fail, or (rarely) they may be caught. Use the 'E' button on the info box in lower right or 'Shift-E' for the espionage screen (espionage screens are different in Civ3 and PTW). The existence of a spy in a civ lets you see their forces in the F3 screen.

When your F3 told you you need a spy to view troop locations, he was speaking in general. If you already have a spy, the troop locations is a special (Espionage Screen) mission and its effects only last one turn.

Comment

You get to know how many and what types of units the civ has once you plant a spy. If you want to know exactly which ones are where, you need to run a mission to gather that info. If you have lots of cash, this can be fun and useful.

Comment

Espionage missions are quite useless btw- don't waste your money in that
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

DF:

Stealing plans can be useful at times, but otherwise, I agree.
            Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

I've heard of the following primarly uses of Spies:

1. # of their armed forces in all types. (F3 military)

2. Status of their space ship.

3. Occansionly investiagting a city during war.

4. Planting spies and/or attempting action in hopes that the AI will declare war on your Democracy and give you a happiness bounce.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to know the AIs entire troop locations at once, the AI doesn't use their forces efficently enough for this to be useful.
              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

the problem i have with spies is that i can't plant them where i want to. i've got spies in all the small weak civs, but they don't really help there too much. i would prefer them in the large ones. i'm the most powerful civ in the game but everytime i try to plant a spy in Russia or France for example they always get caught.

Comment

Emma,
                  Having lots more culture helps but is definitely no guarantee. Also, in PTW you want to wait 2-3 (3-4??) turns between plant spy attempts because they have tweaked it so that if you don't wait, it will just fail again.

Comment

I can think about only ONE useful way of spies (plan stealing) but they are automatically deleted after a cpl turns- forget about spies! Burn and cover their land with salt!
                    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                      Espionage missions are quite useless btw- don't waste your money in that
                      Actualy steal tech missions are quite good in modern age (and maybe industrial).

You can steal tech for 2500gp (safe option), while otherwise you would need about 15,000gp to buy it from AI.

Of course in ancient and medivial age steal tech is just BAAAD (way to expensive).

Comment

double post,
                        DIE!

Comment

If you can't afford to pay all that money, you can always use the gpt option- btw if you NEED to desperately steal techs, you're playing wayyyy bad

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Nothing desperate there.

It's just much easier way to become first in tech (compared to legal buy).

Comment

I reduced the cost of planting spies and investigating cities as I do both of those (but no other espionage options). I find the most useful thing about spies is knowing what forces the AI has from the F3 screen (if you have the patience to scroll through). Where they are is not very significant.

I always wait five turns before trying to plant a spy after an attempt fails. It can fail again so you just have to be persistent, and be prepared to risk provoking a war with strong AI's.
                              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                              X