Ducki went Regent... How'm I doin'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Konquest02
    looks like you have a Roman city hidden behind the minimap on your last screenshot. You really should settle this land before they can use it against you. If your culture is good (you gotta love the Egyptians' cheap temples!), you might be able to flip it before it gets too big.

--Kon--
    Yes, there's a Roman town there, and 3 Greek towns further down.

Well, there WAS a Roman town, it's mine now.
    Screenie and SAV coming up.
    "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
      ducki, I can see at least 4-5 sites in your existing territory where I would lay down towns... cheap temples, and you become a culture / financial monster.
      There's one desert tile nearly in the middle of the map I WAS going to settle, but (again) I got caught up in the arms and wonder race and just never got around to it.

Once I post my post-Roman war screenshot and save, I'd love to hear where you'd drop towns, considering current FP placement and current and planned Palace placement.

Here's the save, screen on next post.
      Attached Files
      "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

A few turns before Chivalry came through on the Library, I moved all my horsemen to barracks towns and waited.

The same turn I got Chivalry, I upgraded everyone to Knights(about 12 or 18), upgraded border towns to Musketmen and declared war on Caesar. Hispalis flipped, the town behind the minimap mentioned by Konqueror fell a bit less easily than expected, and I picked up my future Palace site and two other cities.

I think I need a town on that peninsula to the west, just south of Rome and maybe one in the desert between Thebes and the inland sea.

But I'm currently at war with Alex - he wanted some of the Roman towns, I guess, and trespassed and wouldn't leave. /sigh An evil overlord's work is never done.

Planning to move Palace to Veii once culture is a bit better OR I get 2 leaders. I used one to rush Sistine and leave Greece with a huge shield loss. Now I need an army for the Epic and a leader for the palace build.

What do you guys think? And where, besides south of Cumae should I drop a city? (I forgot I already took Rome.)
        Attached Files

Comment

It does not matter to me if you do or do not put a city there. I say that because as long as my border covers the ground, no one is going to be settling there. A city would not be required, unless you care about the score. I would just be for 1- eliminate Rome so the cities of theirs I have will never revert or complain. 2- get rid of all greek cities except the ones on the top of the land mass. Those, I may let slide to prevent WW. I do not want them behind me or on my flanks.
          With those two done, you can concentrate your force on the last Greek border.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
            It does not matter to me if you do or do not put a city there. I say that because as long as my border covers the ground, no one is going to be settling there. A city would not be required, unless you care about the score. I would just be for 1- eliminate Rome so the cities of theirs I have will never revert or complain. 2- get rid of all greek cities except the ones on the top of the land mass. Those, I may let slide to prevent WW. I do not want them behind me or on my flanks.
            With those two done, you can concentrate your force on the last Greek border.
            Great stuff, vmxa1, thanks!

I originally hoped to wipe out Rome, but I underestimated the size of the force required and the quickness with which War Weariness overtook my citizens...which is why I had to satisfy myself with 5 conquered cities and one "flipped" city.... for now.

Greece had Archers and Bowmen wandering around my newly acquired cities, enough that I started to worry...so I demanded he leave or fight. He chose to fight, so now I'm stuck in a second war. Fortunately, HE declared, so War Weariness shouldn't be such a big deal, right?

Also, this gives me a chance to take those cities on my flank and gives me something to produce until another tech comes along. My core(s) are unbelievably productive, so I hope to have them fully developed by the time I move my Palace to the North...I dread the loss of the productivity of Thebes and Heliopolis.

Anyway, you were definitely right about those cities being a staging area...fortunately, Greece is missing something for Knights - Horses, I think, and in my Roman War, I disconnected Rome's Horses and a luxury - they are badly crippled, I think.

Greece, however, is still rather strong. Hopefully I can end this war and take my SW peninsula quickly, before there are too many Musketman defenders.

Thanks again for the insights, keep 'em comin', guys!

Comment

You are still playing below your level IMO

move up
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Before I was dragged off to the mall and luhch, I played some of the game. Grabbed those Greek cities on the edges and the first big one the NE. I saw horses, but they were not hooked up. Will accept peace after the last flanking Greek city goes down. Upgrading to cannons. You are correct to take a breather for WW. That is what I would do next and then try to get Rome to come after me.

Comment

I think those horses you saw are the ex-Roman horses I pillaged. Or maybe I'm thinking of different horses.

And as soon as I get Metallurgy, I'll build more cannon and not worry so much about musketmen.

Thanks for taking a look at it!

And alva, this is my very first Regent game. I've yet to play a game truly to completion - I play a lot to where I am sure I'll win. Or until I'm sure I'll lose. Either way, this is going to the end no matter what. I have to finish a game, dammit!

And then I'll try my favorite Civ on Regent. THEN maybe I'll move up.

Comment

Yeah, they were next to Antium, the NE city I mentioned and are now in the city culture. Rome is gone. 1525 Physic is 3 turns and that is the only tech the AI has for a lead. Calv walked over Rome, the last city on an island did not even have a defender. Lib and Uni going up, so stick a fork in it. You were in fine shape.

Comment

Hehe, I'm still a little worried about India, but I'll deal with them when the time comes.

Here's another save.
                      I've caught up with India and China techwise by going for Steam and trading that for Nationalism.

I've had a Second Roman War and a Second Greek War, cleared up that problem to my SW and trimmed Greek some more. Rome is a single city on an island and I can't be bothered to wipe him out just yet.

I'm working on an IronWorks in Giza and am 2/3 of the way done building my palace. Only having 2 leaders is hurting, and I've been "careful" with my elites, they just aren't producing.

Anyway, here's the latest save for anyone interested.
                      Forgot to take a screenshot, sorry. Things are going well, now I just have to build railroads over the top of my roads, I guess.

Attached Files

Comment

Ducki, I had a quick look at your IROnworks.save.

1. No need for medicine yet, IMO you've should have gone for industrialization(factories). and you are prebuilding on several locations , so you can easily take womens suffragettes and the other wonders (even without leaders)

2. No one has rifleman yet, so this is the time to hurt the AI or even to take them out. Get rid of the Romans, the Greeks and get a foothold in the other continent by terminating the japanese

3. build a few more workers(some of your cities are beginning the get maxed-out anyway(size 12)). Get those RR going(don't sell this tech btw)
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

You know what, I 'm gonna play your game and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
                            Ducki, I had a quick look at your IROnworks.save.

1. No need for medicine yet, IMO you've should have gone for industrialization(factories). and you are prebuilding on several locations , so you can easily take womens suffragettes and the other wonders (even without leaders)
                            I was beelining for Electronics. Ghandi's been out-researching me in a bad way all game. I only just got parity at the end of Middle Ages when I bumped my research, built Copernicus, and went for Steam.
                            2. No one has rifleman yet, so this is the time to hurt the AI or even to take them out. Get rid of the Romans, the Greeks and get a foothold in the other continent by terminating the japanese
                            I only just sued Greece for Peace, Weariness was killing me on taking the lower portion of my continent and denying the horses. I'll have to wait a little while to war again, other than to destroy Caesar.
                            3. build a few more workers(some of your cities are beginning the get maxed-out anyway(size 12)). Get those RR going(don't sell this tech btw)
                            More than the "horde" I have now? That seems like an awful lot of workers.

And it's too late...I traded Steam for Nationalism and 100 gold or so - I wanted Rifles and mobility, because I think Mao is preparing to invade me - he offered me 87 GPT for Steam when he only had 80 in the bank.

On the building of rail...is it better to build one big long rail from North to South, connecting cities to the central rail along the way, or to play Connect-the-Dots with my cities?

Or should I connect AND develop a city as I go, and then move on to the next one?

Thanks in advance, and I hope you enjoy the game! I'm just glad someone's even looking at them, much less actually wanting to play..

I'd be curious to see how your game turned out different from mine from 4000BC, but I don't expect anyone to spend that much time "just to see".

Thanks again!

Comment

forget the worker suggestion , didn't spot all of them first time around.

some other things though:
                              1. you really don't need universities in a size 4 city
                              2. the palace you're building is it for the FP? , because it has no market, library, ...
                              3. don't use the buildcue to much, you need to evaluate and reevaluate often, until your more then strong enough.
                              4. more micromanagement
                              5. you really don't need all the luxuries in the world. your core cities don't gain all that much being in WLTK. But you're helping your competitors too much this way. don't spoill them too much

I played for about 10-15 turns

Comment

here is my save,

btw: evil overlord???
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X