The "Disband and Rush" Trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Disband and Rush" Trick

One trick I'm using in my current game (the mini-tourney game) is that if I want to rush improvements back to back in the same city, I can disband an old swordsman or longbowman to start work on the second improvement so I can rush it at normal cost instead of double cost. That's not the worst use in the world for obsolete, excess units that happen to be lying around if your numbers are high enough you can do without them. (I'm playing a democracy, so keeping obsolete units as police is pointless.)

Nathan

Re: The "Disband and Rush" Trick

Originally posted by nbarclay
    One trick I'm using in my current game (the mini-tourney game) is that if I want to rush improvements back to back in the same city, I can disband an old swordsman or longbowman to start work on the second improvement so I can rush it at normal cost instead of double cost. That's not the worst use in the world for obsolete, excess units that happen to be lying around if your numbers are high enough you can do without them. (I'm playing a democracy, so keeping obsolete units as police is pointless.)

Nathan
    That's a very good strategy. In recently conquered cities, disbanding units will allow you to rush the required improvements in as many turns. For instance, rushing the temple, airport and barracks in a beachhead invasion.

Comment

After infantry and tanks roll in, I usually build whole lot of buildings in my distant, highly corrupted cities by disbanding most of my now obsolete cavalry.
      "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

I knew that disbanding a unit in a city gave a production bonus, but I never thought to use it in such a manner. I'll have to make a mental note of this. Thanks.
        "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
        --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

I hadn't really thought it through before my current game, but building and disbanding units is a much more efficient way of transferring production from one city to another than building wealth and using gold to rush build is. (Of course it's still grossly inefficient, with 75% waste minimum.) Building newer units and disbanding older ones can serve the double purpose of modernizing one's armed forces and transferring some production where it's needed at the same time, assuming the army is already as big as you want it. Of course I prefer not to disband elite units unless I know they've already produced a great leader, since I never know which elite unit might have a leader waiting to emerge.

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
            I knew that disbanding a unit in a city gave a production bonus, but I never thought to use it in such a manner. I'll have to make a mental note of this. Thanks.
            After nationalism, you can also DRAFT a citizen and disband the conscript unit in a distant corrupt city.
            A mech inf will give you 22 shields. The trade-off is increased unhappiness in the city, but as long as you have the usual happiness improvements there seems to be few problems with this. I do it a lot and have not encountered many problems yet.
            John Heidle

Comment

Originally posted by heidlejohn

After nationalism, you can also DRAFT a citizen and disband the conscript unit in a distant corrupt city.
              A mech inf will give you 22 shields. The trade-off is increased unhappiness in the city, but as long as you have the usual happiness improvements there seems to be few problems with this. I do it a lot and have not encountered many problems yet.
              My math is 22 for infantry and 27 for mech inf.

I think I may have just found a chink in the game design. If drafting and pop rushing produce equal unhappiness (and I've never tested whether or not that's the case), once infantry become available, draft-and-disband is actually a better deal. Further, draft-and-disband is available to monarchies, republics, and democracies, so unless the happiness penalty for drafting is greater, those governments actually have as much pop rushing potential as despotism and communism do late in the game (as long as the right resources are available).

Nathan

Comment

Disband and cash rush is tremendously effective. Post-1.21f, one can make even the most remote cities productive, if fully built out.

Draft, disband, and rush is a reason NOT to bombard enemy cities down to 1 pop and into the stone age... I'm developing a technique for effectively capturing large cities, considering flipping, drafting, rushing, and adding "pure" workers. It's hard, but worth it.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Drafting and disbanding is a wellknown trick. There has been a thread on that some time ago. I have tried it a lot and the unhappiness it brings is not something you can't handle.

Some players consider it an exploit though. I usually build courthouses and factories in corrupted cities (ok and temples too). Then at some point far away cities become productive.

-

Comment

Working...
                  X