No announcement yet.

So very cold (of the map generator)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting map... what were the settings?

Sort of bizarre that by the time you have Panzers the entire map is still unknown.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Yeah... the last time I had an army of over 400 units, 250 were offensives, I think.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

BTW, if anyone reads it, what would Aeson do if at the time other civs had Cavalry (and he was still defending by spears) someone decided to conquer him? I mean, the AI can just decide to betray you, it won't care much.

Comment

When MP comes out, I want to be teamed up with Aeson!
          Janitor, janitor
          scrub in vein
          for the $h1t house poet
          have struck again

Comment

Solver -

There are a lot of ways to try and keep the AI from posing a threat to your homeland(s). First is to not try to cut deals too closely. Let the AI have a bit of extra, never bleed them dry, and keep them happy if at all possible. In this game I was able to keep MPP's with my closest neighbors when at my most vulnerable (getting the Zulu lands developed). Anyone attacking me would have had to go through my allies, or make a seaborn assault, which the AI is notoriously bad at.

I also stayed within reasonable tech distance, so when the AI had Cavalry I could have built Musketmen and Knights if I had to, and had plenty of gold to rush them with. Also Military Tradition was one of the last techs in the Middle Ages that the AI got, there were only 5-10 turns before I could have gotten Riflemen if I absolutely had to.

If I had gotten on the wong end of the alliances, things could have turned ugly really quick still. In this type of game diplomacy is king.

------------

As for MP, I probably wouldn't be that good of a teamate. I had the lowest rating of anyone in AoE while I was playing... Then they changed the abandoned game rules once I quit and quickly everyone with half a mind to do so could beat my rating.

I just don't care much for PvP type games. I like figuring out patterns (read: AI) and dislike making sense of chaos (read: Humans).

Comment

Hey Aeson, good job. I learned alot just be readin the thread. If you have time, could you post summary's of some of your other games.

anyway, good job

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                I just don't care much for PvP type games. I like figuring out patterns (read: AI) and dislike making sense of chaos (read: Humans).
                In the future, humans may seem predictable to AI rather than the other way around.

Personally, while I really like Civ III as it is, I prefer multiplayer precisely because human players are so "chaotic". After a while, you learn all of the AI's tricks, and beating it becomes easy. As you've demonstrated. Humans are harder to beat because they're actually smart, as opposed to just acting in ways that superficially seem smart, but are actually pretty simplistic. Multiplayer is a challenge.

By this point, it should be clear that if you really want to make the game hard, you should try to make the AI smarter. For this, see the thread "The key to AI greatness", which suggests a good place to start.

Perhaps someone would like to try taking on the challenge of creating an AI that could actually beat Aeson. (Not that this could necessarily be done. ) Here I'm talking not about changing a civ's characteristics (e.g. industrious, religious) or special unit, just the way they make decisions. Anyone out there up to building a Civ III "Deep Blue"?
                "God is dead." - Nietzsche
                "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Thanks for explanations, Aeson! You a former AoE player? Well, at least you would probably beat *me*.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                    Interesting map... what were the settings?

Sort of bizarre that by the time you have Panzers the entire map is still unknown.
                    Huge archipelago

80% water

Everything else standard.
                    Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
                    Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                    "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson

------------

As for MP, I probably wouldn't be that good of a teamate. I had the lowest rating of anyone in AoE while I was playing... Then they changed the abandoned game rules once I quit and quickly everyone with half a mind to do so could beat my rating.

::aheh::BS::ahem::You'll learn to love MP once you start destroying other players. Humans do have tendencies, how often they act on it is a whole different story.

Yep, I agree with trickey, some of us want to learn some more.
                      Janitor, janitor
                      scrub in vein
                      for the $h1t house poet
                      have struck again

Comment

• I never said I wouldn't be any good at MP, just that I wouldn't be a good teammate and don't like MP/PvP type games regardless of the outcome.

MP certainly is more challenging, but difficulty has little to do with why I play computer games.

Comment

• What version was this? You really cannot get away with 100% tax for tech trading anymore.
                          Wrestling is real!

Comment

• I think Aeson played it with 1.17f patch... and this remains the most difficult civ 3 challenge - mind you, not an Editor created.

Comment

• (bump)

i have an idea.

why doesn't the community make a very very difficult scenario (isolated, no resources, raging barbarians, agressive oponents, etc.) on a high level and let geniouses like aeson try to solve it? it could be something like the game of the month.

of course it should be solveable, otherwise there's no sence in it

would you civ3-gods rise to such a challenge?
                              - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                              - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

• IIRC, there is a game (4000bc) on one of these pages, and a pretty though one!!pffffffff!!

I tried it, made one (rather ) big strategic error, and that was it, game over!!!!
                                off-course, i'm much better player nowadays yeah right

still one of the best threads I've seen so far
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X