REX - Went the Day Well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REX - Went the Day Well?

Before I start, I would like to say that I am actually Lawrence of Arabia, the person who coined the term REX, but my screen name got messed, so I got another one. I was planning on doing a long long long article on REX and its advantages/disadvantages. But I did not want to do it if there was no demand for it. So, if you want a long analysis on REX, then bump/punt this thread!

Note: to all threadjackers
    This is a free zone

Yay analysis!
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Go for it! Ill read it.

One thing Ive noticed about expanding (this may be self evident to some):

When expanding its not best to always build settlers. There will be times when you can squeze out a unit or improvement that your civ needs and still pump out a settler at roughly the same time your city goes to 3. Its pointless for your city to waste time waiting for growth on a completed settler.
      "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

LofA,

PLEASE lay out the arguments for REXing. I've gotten OK at early aggression, but have done well as a builder. I've been purposely playing with other styles, and would like to understand this strat.

Please address early city size, btw... I am not sure of the benefits of building settlers as quickly as possible versus building larger towns.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Pythagoras
          Go for it! Ill read it.

One thing Ive noticed about expanding (this may be self evident to some):

When expanding its not best to always build settlers. There will be times when you can squeze out a unit or improvement that your civ needs and still pump out a settler at roughly the same time your city goes to 3. Its pointless for your city to waste time waiting for growth on a completed settler.
          Yes... I often time thing so I build a chariot/a couple warriors then can set work right to a settler. The best way is when you can produce a settler as soon as the city grows to 3. I often set up my cities so they are producing 3 shields per turn when they grow to size 2, that way I get my settler in 10 turns and the city grows in 10 turns too.

As for an analysis on REX, I'm always looking to optimise my expansion and that is just the kind of thing I'm too lazy to do myself (at least until MP comes out).

Comment

yes, please! I've been waiting a long time for a REX-analysis.

eehh....what's REX by the way?

Comment

Rapid Early eXpansion (I think) anyway that gives you the general idea of what REX is about.

Comment

OK Ming fixed me up and got my screenname working.

Thesus: I will address this issue.

For the rest of you, it seems that there is some interest in this so I will write something on it. If any of you want me to address a particular aspect (like Thesus) just tell me and I'll try to do my best to answer it. Who knows? It may be the downfall of REX

Hmmm. Maybe not. =)
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Yes, definitely write the article. Also point out your thoughts about the defending of the new cities and if/how to protect the wandering settlers.

Comment

Alright, I'll write it over the weekend, and then post it up maybe Sunday.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I'm out of school, and now I'm gonna take the rest of the day off (read play civ.) Tomorrow I'll write it and post it Sunday.

Comment

Did you write it, or did I just miss it?
                        "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

Re: REX - Went the Day Well?

Originally posted by Hurrying Heinz

Note: to all threadjackers
                          This is a free zone
                          First of all I want to say that I find the above offensive in the extreme. There is nothing so boorish on the internet as someone who seeks to limit the intellectual response of those who are kindly enough to make their thoughts known. One man's spam is another man's delicacy.

Further, how incredibly arrogant to believe that one could create a thread the content of which is of such value that it is impossible to improve it by branching out into a different direction. I almost always find a jacked thread to be the more interesting for the event.

Now, on to REX and my observations. The key to fueling rapid early expansion is finding food sources and placing on or about those sources as many cities as can utilize the sources for rapid growth. If you find a river with a stretch of flood plains you simply must build a string of cities nearby. It does not matter the spacing, one tile apart is find.

REX is not just building settlers. The expansion includes a military component as well. Cities built near food sources become feeder cities that have two purposes, pumping out settlers and workers, and pumping put military units. The only improvements that are needed in them are barracks and granary.

Use your feeder cities to fuel imperial expansion. Don't get sidetracked and start building improvments in them. You may consider it poor strategy, but if I can find the food source, I'll make my second, third, and maybe my fourth cities feeders and it has never seemed to hurt me that I don't start full development cities until later (playing larger maps).

Comment

REX is about finding a site with a game forest and a cow grassland.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Write. If its 1 thing I suck at its expansion. Speaking of which for expansive trait a good idea would be to have the settlers cost 1/2 as much as they normally do.

Comment

Working...
                              X