Overall Style/Preference of Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall Style/Preference of Play

Just wondering what others like in a game. Very general question, I know, but curious about such various aspects as mods, choice of map, number of restarts, peaceful/warlike choices, level of difficulty, etc.

Recently got into playing large world, 16 civs, raging hordes, monarch, map & civ totally random, and sticking it out until all hope is totally lost or victory. Having good results w/ the American game I'm playing, struggling valiently in the French one.
    "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Ok, here's my input:

My map preferences vary. I play huge maps now (finally my new hardware allows it ). Sometimes 16 civs/continents, sometimes 9 civs/pangaea, but this preference is often broken by the map generator. My current huge/9 game had the preference pangaea too, but has ocean separated continents. Playing on huge maps is best with expansionist civs, so I concentrate on those. My overall favorite are the Iroquois, but I am gaining experience with other expansionist civs as well.

My difficulty level varies between Monarch and Emperor. I strive to be the biggest fish early, so I concentrate on settler building, but keep a decent army. Since on huge maps (especially with only 9 civs) the civs are far each from other, I avoid early conquests. My ancient wars are rather destructive, I weaken the AI, what helps to achieve the "biggest fish" goal. I raze cities (most are size 1 without culture anyway), but I keep the cities I gain in peace negotiations.

My game style is warmonger-builder, I also call it "snake style". That means, I build up till no space is left. Then I make space for further growth by attacking my neighbors. After this, I build up the gained space again, but at the same time attack the next victim. Since I mostly have more than one neighbor, I more or less am constantly at war.

I don't use mods far from Sn00py's excellent graphics. I also refuse to change settings in the editor.

Comment

I general33 playz small or tiny mapz on deit33, altho I've played bigga, I wouldn't b33 1337 if I couldn't. I like pang33a on smaller mapz, on bigga mapz I tend to goz continentalz. If j00 want yo s33 my stratz check out my stratz thred.

Comment

Originally posted by I-iZ-1337
        I general33 playz small or tiny mapz on deit33, altho I've played bigga, I wouldn't b33 1337 if I couldn't. I like pang33a on smaller mapz, on bigga mapz I tend to goz continentalz. If j00 want yo s33 my stratz check out my stratz thred.
        How many civs? Any mods? guess I should check out your strat thread closer. Sorry if I said anything disparaging on your thread. Didn't really mean it that way, though it was a rough week. Anyway, I'll have to go back & see. Modding is the best part of this game.
        "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

I playz the gamez without modz, coz I d00 it az practize for MP (when mozt ppl will j00ze the game az out the box with no modz). I playz with the standard number of civz on the mapz, unless I am tezting new stratz when I uze tiny mapz with 1 other civ.

Comment

Ok, reread your strat thing, missed that one civ strat test thing. Doesn't that skew things? I mean, I see what yer doing, but...I just hate missing out on the grand politics of the thing. 16 civs on a large map gives a chance to develop. Do you ever play that type game? Don't know if I'll go MP, like modded game too much. Maybe I'll get my a$$ in gear, list all the specs for my mod and post it here. Man! I spend way too much time on this stuff.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

i play standard maps and am doing regent level. barbarians on roaming, continents with medium water, wet (so i can at least have one river somewhere!), temperate, medium rockiness. i don't remember how many civs; i think 5 others...? two less than the max. i play mostly builder style and try to research really fast. i try to take over the AI "border towns" (as in, on the borders of MY continent) through high culture instead of military action. i'll usually only get into a war if somebody's REALLY pissing me off or if i need more land (unless i decide to go monger some war just to be evil). i get more satisfaction out of making my culture, money and tech the highest, although i do enjoy a good war. if somebody decides to declare war on ME, i usually try to have enough money to fund a big huge army and kill kill kill!!! when not at war, i make sure i have a large enough defensive force (uh, and workers ) that my military advisor tells me we have a strong military compared to "these guys." like i said in the "reload" thread, i usually only reload if the AI demands something. i always have to tell him to shove it just for the fun of it before sighing, restarting and then giving in to his bribe. stupid AI. i have no qualms about restarting a game if, after exploring for a few turns, i realize that 2 other civs are right up my @$$. i've never used the editor to change anything. i try to expand quickly, but keep making the mistake of not building towns on the borders of my continent! it makes me SO MAD when i see the settler of another civ suddenly building a retarded little town on the borders of my continent, in the jungle or tundra! i HAVE to just bite the bullet and do it myself next time.
              drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

Kool avatar, Bella...

i like ibble blibble

Comment

_throws confetti_

Comment

haha, thanks, you too!
                    drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

playstyle...

Well, mainly continents on large. Middle option for Age, Temperature and Wetness. I've never been a sea-going man so I never play on the Arc maps and I find Pangea a little claustrophobic. How ever many civ's is the standard, i never change that. I try to mainly build up to 15 or so cities with at least 3 def units each and maintain peace for a bit. Try to hit for Great Library and Leonardo's Workshop at least. If I can stay ahead Scientifically, I usually use Gunpowder as my attacking point trying to take our 1 or 2 civ's and pruning another. For some reason the one Civ I usually buddy up with always becomes the red-headed step child that just gets beat up so I try to keep them technologically advanced and protect their borders a good bit. After I successfully take out one or two civ's I rebuild defenses at all new cities and strike out anew with technology as it comes.

Comment

My weakness is that I tend to stick to two map types. Either I play on medium continents/large map or small archipeligos/large map. I max out the opposing civs and play on regent. Never enable diplo victory. Other than that everything else is set to the default.
                        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Mods: I play my own mod as this:
                          - no Factories
                          - no Power Plants
                          - no MFG Plant
                          - Hoover Dam = Hospitals in all Continental Cities
                          - Synthetic Fibers require Recycling

Level:
                          Regent

Map:
                          Standart with everything on Random.

Number of Restarts:
                          I ALWAYS play the game, even if there's nothing but Tundra around me!

Style:
                          I try to play the way that seems to be most efficient... In my actual Game I had an early war vs 2 Nations... I did not loose much but I was thrown back in Developement and had to keep peace until some turns ago... Now I am assisting the French and the Russians to kill the Germans. I don't think I can win the Game since the French have the largest and best developed Nation.

Comment

Originally posted by AIL
                            Mods: I play my own mod as this:
                            - no Factories
                            - no Power Plants
                            - no MFG Plant
                            - Hoover Dam = Hospitals in all Continental Cities
                            - Synthetic Fibers require Recycling
                            Is this b/c the AI never builds these?

i like ibble blibble

Comment

Not never but very seldom...

Comment

Working...
                              X