No announcement yet.

Anyone set up a slave trade before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, if this is about right, then the 30 gold for a worker would seem like a pretty good deal. Now, if they only work half as fast as a native worker, then there is no advantage other than he is available immediately, which of course is worth something also (e.g., 5 turns of improving).
    That would only be 2½ turns of improving, assuming they are half as efficient.

Speaking of..:
    Last night I captured three English workers, and it seemed to me they were working at different levels of efficiency (i.e. one worked a third as fast as mine another one half as fast). I didn't have time to check it, though, so maybe I'm wrong.

Did anyone else have this experience or was I high on coffee?

(Maybe it's just the English special unit: Civilly disobedient captured workers. )

Comment

It's all about QUALITY

Originally posted by Purest Warrior

Speaking of..:
      Last night I captured three English workers, and it seemed to me they were working at different levels of efficiency (i.e. one worked a third as fast as mine another one half as fast). I didn't have time to check it, though, so maybe I'm wrong.
      No, it's possible if one of them was captured by the English from an industrious civ. Captured workers IMO keep that trait, which is why it's worth keeping industrious slaves when you aren't but not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka II
        Do purchased workers work at the the full rate, unlike captured workers? Are they now patriots or still foreign workers?
        They're considered captured workers: they work a half speed, retain their old nationality, show up on the "Captured Worker" display on the Military Advisor, and cost no gold to maintain. Same as a worker you capture militarily (but without the war).

Comment

I never sell workers. Instead, I add them to my cities where they produce shields and commerce every turn forever instead of one time lump gold bonus.

Best workers to add are those whose home civilization has been destroyed. Then they act just like my own citizens because they can't say "Stop the aggression against our mother country" anymore..

If I am industrious, I usually end up adding all foreign workers to my cities. My own workers gets the job done more quickly anyway and I don't mind the 1 gold maintenance fee per worker. Further, it reduces a bit the tedious micromanagement of workers. Putting them to "auto" just makes them railroad all the useless tundra tiles.

Btw, I also buy workers at the beginning of the game where the expansion is crusial.

Comment

Diplomacy and Workers

Maybe I'm wrong, but one thing I've noticed is when you build your own workers, the AI sees these guys as military units and it helps to strengthen your "power". When I've set up worker factories, the messages "Compared to these guys, blah blah blah" become more and more in my favor. So, I think it would be great to spend only 30 gold and have a free worker (or 1/2 worker speed-wise) for the rest of the game, but it is also good to have a self-made worker boom to encourage your trade efforts and prevent surprise attacks or declarations of war.

I really like the idea of trading early for the workers ... it always pisses me off in 3750 BC when I walk up to the enemy capitol and see 8 or so units mulling around ... I even had Russia bring all of it's military in a stack right into my capitol city once right after I produced my first warrior!!!! That was like 3600 BC, and game over!

One last thought, with a size 6 worker factory, you could see that as 30 gold/turn if you are trading away your workers, if the AI keeps buying them. AND ... is it good for the AI to have workers of your nationality for any possible culture-flipping? Or if they declare war on you do your citizens in their cities get upset? Does anybody know if they add your workers to their cities?

OR, what if you traded alot of your workers to a civ you are planning to conquer shortly thereafter? You would be capturing your workers back, and draining their economy right before the war ... , or helping them pop-rush ... how does the AI handle pop-rushing?

All the best
            - JFB

Comment

I always buy workers from other civs when they are available. I will use foreign workers to pop-rush temples and such in my border cities. If you try this with a size 3 city, make sure 2 of the workers in the city are your own. I have added two foreign workers of different nationalities to a size one city before, pop-rushed a temple and wound up with a size one city with a foreign worker in it.

When there are two continents it seems that only the civs on my continent will offer me workers, however I am able to sell workers to civs on the other continent. Strange. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Polo
                I never sell workers. Instead, I add them to my cities where they produce shields and commerce every turn forever instead of one time lump gold bonus.
                I did that once... once. My one city revolted and went back to their nationalaty side. I had an enemy city right next to my captial. I took it back by force, but I totaly lost on the next turn when that civ (i think it was the russians) ICBM me into next week!

That's why I say use, sell them, or "cleanse" the world from that barbaric civ that started the war!
                I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

another use for workers would be to see how large a city one could make before the game went all buggy. mmmmmm, size 1000. hmmm, if you could keep up a large enough supply of workers from conquest, it might work. and think of the science beakers you could be getting. . . . . . .. heh heh.
                  By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo
                    another use for workers would be to see how large a city one could make before the game went all buggy. mmmmmm, size 1000. hmmm, if you could keep up a large enough supply of workers from conquest, it might work. and think of the science beakers you could be getting. . . . . . .. heh heh.
                    ... or taxmen
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

In civ2 they went up to size 127, dunno bout civ3. The game will probably crash when you get up to 40

Comment

A size 300+ city is certainly possible. Someone did it in one of the Apolyton Tournament games, prompting me to build one myself. The limit is probably going to be a power of 2 (minus 1). Most likely 16 bit (65535). Of course it could easily be 32 bit (4294967295) or any other arbitrary value.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                          A size 300+ city is certainly possible. Someone did it in one of the Apolyton Tournament games, prompting me to build one myself. The limit is probably going to be a power of 2 (minus 1). Most likely 16 bit (65535). Of course it could easily be 32 bit (4294967295) or any other arbitrary value.
                          Civ2 had some artificial limits put into it (like the limit on gold and a few others), but yeah, it seems likely to be a 16 bit variable used to store city size. I'd like to see the size 300 city game, can you post a link?

Comment

I no longer have the save, I have a game with several hundred workers that I am playing now... I'll set up the largest city I can and post it here a bit later.

Comment

I edited the default .bic to set this city up easier, giving workers a population value of 25. Otherwise I would have been spending forever activating workers, moving them to a city, and building. The save game was too big for the 500K limit, even zipped
                              Attached Files

Comment

Judging from the savegame format the limit is a signed 32 bit number. (2^31-1 max)
                                Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                                X