X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by notyoueither

We Love the Beer Day? I'm movin there.

Salve
    Naw, that's just when you play as Ireland .

Everyone now:

We're gonna...
    DRINK & FIGHT & DRINK & FIGHT & DRINK & FIGHT some more!!!
    (proud fan of the "Three Trolls in a Baggie" band!)
    Go download the the song A Dublin Lullaby!
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

jaybe

Check out the last paragraph of the WLTKD section in the manual explains it. Page 119 in the US edition (last thing in chapter 11).
      while I am a big fan of RTFM and Firaxis. I do wish Firaxis had put a little more effort into WTFM. Not the worthless 200 page horse pill mind you, save the printing costs, but there is no excuse for the Civilopedia to be so lame.

The last paragraph explains the benefit of 'Prolonged' WLTKD. (decreased corruption) I have yet to find a write-up as to the 'Government Specific' benefits hinted to on page 118.

Personally, I like the new corruption model. I like the concept of empire wide improvements that are not highly visible in each city. I like the concept that none of the problems can be completely elimainted by a magical building. But don't tell me a courthouse helps corruption, which it does, and then have the effect so small that it's impact is not visible in over half the cities that have one without telling me why. I think a lot of the whining going on is because people can't RTFM because there is no TFM to R

Comment

I almost hate to say it but one reason I like the Civ manuals, all of them including 3's, is that I've read the Europa Universalis manual. I think I took a permanent hit to my ability to express myself reading that useless Svedlish book.
        Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

I actually liked the EU manual...

Most manuals you take with you for quick fixes when you can't play the game. Rather quickly, there is nothing new left to find with a re-reading. With the EU manual, well, shoot, I bet I can still find a bit of information or two that I have missed...

One distinction I'ld like to make... at least the information was there in the EU manual. It may have been hidden in some anectdote about the lives and loves of Jan Sobieski, but it was there, well, except for how the victory points were counted...

I loved the CIV 1 manual. But this latest rendition looks to me like they wrote it once they got the screen mockups completed and so worded everything so that they wouldn't have to change anything when they finally built the game and knew how it really worked.

I mean, I'm a consultant and I write my design docs the same way, but my online documentation is highly detailed and accurate.

Comment

Re: jaybe

Originally posted by ShuShu
            while I am a big fan of RTFM and Firaxis. I do wish Firaxis had put a little more effort into WTFM. Not the worthless 200 page horse pill mind you, save the printing costs, but there is no excuse for the Civilopedia to be so lame.

The last paragraph explains the benefit of 'Prolonged' WLTKD. (decreased corruption) I have yet to find a write-up as to the 'Government Specific' benefits hinted to on page 118.

Personally, I like the new corruption model. I like the concept of empire wide improvements that are not highly visible in each city. I like the concept that none of the problems can be completely elimainted by a magical building. But don't tell me a courthouse helps corruption, which it does, and then have the effect so small that it's impact is not visible in over half the cities that have one without telling me why. I think a lot of the whining going on is because people can't RTFM because there is no TFM to R
            [RTFM: Read The F'king Manual -- (I had to look that up)]
            Actually, I preferred the idea of the printed manual to a PDF file, though the expensive printed manual was out of date in some areas when the game went gold, and especially after the v.1.16f patch.

Re corruption: Hey, they SAY 'minimal', 'problematic', 'rampant', etc. Isn't that good enough for you??

Overall, it is just obvious that Firaxis did not have a great 'Documentation Expert' on hand. OTH, it does take a lot of effort to document well how a computer application works, especially one as massive as Civ3. Also, how would you get 'specific' if the game was being tweaked until the last minute? It would be really nice if we could get some algorithms from Firaxis to see how many events are arrived at (e.g., corruption). Now, a PDF file of THAT could be exciting!

--
            Meanwhile, those "strange lights seen near my cities" sometimes seem intermittent enough that I would prefer an indicator by each city in the Domestic Advisor screen. Please?

Comment

We agree...

... but just to be argumentative ... Check out the MOO III website. I mean, I haven't been there since November, but uh, talk about details to drool about...

Here's hoping we get that geeks paradise pdf, minimal corruption and all, with the next patch...

Comment

Working...
              X