Strange lights seen near my cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange lights seen near my cities

Sometimes these strange purplish dust cloud things appear in terrain squares near my cities... Not usually within the city radius, but nearby. (Maybe I'll do a screen capture...)

They show up for a turn (or so?) and then they are gone. I can't make any unit interact with it, nor does it affect production in any way. Terrain info shows nothing out of the ordinary.

Got to be aliens

-Bob
    Semper ubi sub ubi!

Ding ding ding. You just asked the question everybody asks.

The strange lights are fireworks. The citizens are celebrating WLTK day. See your manual page 118.
    Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Naw. Ironikinit is from the Air Force.

It's aliens.

Salve
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Pay no attention to the loony. The lights are really the planet Venus.
        Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

The lights are signal flares from enemy spies in your cities, signalling enemy attacks to be launched when your citizens are drunk because of celebrating WLTBD.

Steele
          If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

dont listen to them its the 'king of the day' in that city. They are fireworks.
            or so Meier would have us believe...
            "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Of course they are really UFOs piloted by Aliens from Alpha Centauri. If you build the "Roswell" wonder you get two free tech advances from the Aliens.

Comment

Depends on the Age as to the cause.
                Ancient -- The Gods
                Medieval -- Witches
                Industrial -- The Devil
                Modern -- UFOs.
                In all cases the citizens of the city below the cloud are bedazzled into producing less corruption.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I used to think they were clues to the locations of strategic resources, but now know that they are used by Iroquois spies to relay information about your city and civ back to their compatriots. A careful study of each puff may help you decipher if the smoke signals being used are recommending a sneak attack.

Comment

I Like that one bout the Iroquois

but nobody mentioned the obvious: It's just smog from your crowded dirty cities
                    "Where I come from, we don't fraternize with the enemy - how about yourself?"
                    Civ2 Military Advisor

Comment

ooooooh! pretty smog!
                      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

wltk day! what bonuses does it have again?

Comment

Originally posted by embermage
                          wltk day! what bonuses does it have again?
                          Check out the last paragraph of the WLTKD section in the manual explains it. Page 119 in the US edition (last thing in chapter 11).

Comment

Originally posted by SanPellegrino
                            but nobody mentioned the obvious: It's just smog from your crowded dirty cities
                            Actually if you play as England. Your city is actually rolling thru the opening credits of Mel Brooks' Men in Tights. Everytime that movie plays they burn down the same village.
                            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by steelehc
                              your citizens are drunk because of celebrating WLTBD.

Steele
                              We Love the Beer Day? I'm movin there.

Salve
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X