Size: Standard Map
    Ocean coverage: 70%
    Land form: Continents
    Climate: Wet
    Temperature: Cool
    Barbarians: Raging
    Civilization: German
    Level: Monarch
    Opponents: 7 (Greece,Rome,Russia,China,Persia,America,England)
    Huts: Removed
    Victory types allowed: All
    Version: 1.16f
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

rules:
    - no re-loading
    - no use of external programs
    - use autosave
    - submit the last saved game, zipped
    - name the saved game and the zip file as your login

- if you want to replay the game, feel free to do so and post a game here, but state it clearly! such submissions will not qualify for the final results.
    Attached Files

Comment

alternative download

starting position
      Attached Files

Comment

Download Help

Thanks for the tournament!

I'm new to the world of PC's and don't know how to instal this game to my system. My OS is Win2000pro and I have WinZip(if required).

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank You

Comment

I'm having trouble downloading the file. It doesn't appear to be a vaild zip file. I see its been downloaded 10 times already. Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: Nevermind, just had to add the ZIP extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloan
            I'm having trouble downloading the file. It doesn't appear to be a vaild zip file. I see its been downloaded 10 times already. Anyone else having this problem?
            All works at my PC. May be it fails, because the downloaded file has the default name "attachment" (w/o extension); just rename this to "something.zip" and all should unpack and work fine.

Comment

In case anyone would have helped

I've figured it out. The zip extension tip helped to narrow the trial and error search for the answer. Thanks

Ignorance is a temporary state of mind, not a perminant state of being

Comment

Aggh! What an awful looking start position! No grassland or plains in sight, mostly zero-yield tundra. Until you get Map Making, a city starting there would be limited to size 3, tops. That'd prompt me to restart if I got such a position playing normally.

Odds are at least one of the computer positions isn't this badly handicapped.

- Gus

Comment

Rough start

After to viewing the starting position, I've decided to send the worker to the East and the Settler to the West. Gambling a couple of turns on a better position. Time will tell if that was wise.

Comment

yeah, the start is rough, sorry(i think )

should i reveal how many other civs are in the same continent?

Comment

You really had a ball picking this starting location, didn't you? It's cold enough for superconduction. This may well be the first game I'll build walls.
                      If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Comment

Are complete restarts allowed?

First I'd like to give congrats to MarkG for finding a very challenging but still fun starting position; this scenario really forces you to think hard about about city placement, research prorities, short-term goals...basically everything that makes RTS games fun.

Second, I was wondering if there's any rule against starting the scenario over completely (as opposed to just reloading a few turns back). For those of you who haven't played the game yet, DON'T READ ANY FURTHER because I'm including SPOILER INFO. I originally built a city on the starting square. After a few turns I realised my mistake; without a a square producing more than 1 food in the city radius, the city couldn't grow higher than size 2, meaning I couldn't build a Settler to expand (unless I waited to get Harbors, which would have taken a LONG LONG time). I tried in vain to conquer the Russians with the couple of units I had, but it's near impossible. I realised the better play is to move the settler NE so that I gets the Game, or SW into the nice patch of Grassland. So I restarted. My question is: Is this allowable? Obviously restarting gives you an edge, and some people might not think this is fair.

I know this is all for fun, but I really want to play by the rules...

Dominae
                        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho
                          You really had a ball picking this starting location, didn't you? It's cold enough for superconduction. This may well be the first game I'll build walls.
                          I am thinking about inviting MarkG, so he can take a look how Germany really looks

Dominae: If I remember clearly, restarting is considered the same as reloading the 4000bc savegame. Your only chance to remain correct was, to build the settler, disbanding the city. But this is at this poor position unacceptable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho
                            You really had a ball picking this starting location, didn't you?
                            actually, you cant set a specific starting location for the human player via the editor. you get a random one from the 8 locations when you start the scenario. but i did check(as always) to see if everything in the game is ok(any huts still there, all civs starting normally) and the location seemed... interesting, so...

Comment

Mark, did you notice my post in the other thread re tournaments, or are these terrain / environment settings just coincidence?

Haven't seen it yet, but sounds interesting.

(By the way, having figured out how to zip files (duh), I might still be able to submit my saved game from tournament 1, if I still have it. Technically it's way late, so if not, let me know and I won't bother looking!)

Aloha.

Comment

Working...
                              X