• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vmxa1
    replied
    Re: Emperor level advice

Originally posted by Myrddin
    3 War wariness made staying in Republic very difficult - is Monarchy a much better choice?

At 2050 I had worked my way up to second place, but found it hard going as I had no options - always behind in tech and so nothing to trade, few luxuries and resources and so nothing to trade, boxed in by a much bigger civ, making military expansion impossible. Is there something else that I should be trying?
    Republic is fine for war, IF you either end it quickly or they declare on you. Of course you still want to not go on for long periods of time.

One of the problems with the score at emperor is that if you do not get any of the early wonders, it will suffer. Those early wonders generate culture and add up over time. It can be hard to get them without conquering, if you do not aim for one or two at the start.

Given that you had trouble with conquest and research, it makes sense that the score would be hard to raise. You really should/must take the tech lead by the ToE at the latest.
    This can be done with a solid empire and proper use of you workers. A few timely wars will round it out.

IF you had a very poor start, that is going to make it much harder.
    You will need to keep a close eye on happiness and therefore get those lux amd , market places going.

Leave a comment:

• Myrddin
    started a topic Emperor level advice

Emperor level advice

Coming back to Civ3 with Conquests due, I made a first attempt at Emperor with the Iroquois. I found it much, much harder than Monarch and found myself behind in everything.

1 It seems to me that I need to be more aggessive, especially in the ancient age. Given that the AI starts with extra units:

If I try an archer rush, how many should I have before attacking?

If I wait for Mounted Warriors, what is the minimum number of cities and units?

If I am attacking at relatively even techs eg knights/pikemen, cavalry/riflemen at what ratio of military strength is a successful attack feasible?

2 Trying to generate culture and research seems useless - should I concentrate on military and cash only?

3 War wariness made staying in Republic very difficult - is Monarchy a much better choice?

At 2050 I had worked my way up to second place, but found it hard going as I had no options - always behind in tech and so nothing to trade, few luxuries and resources and so nothing to trade, boxed in by a much bigger civ, making military expansion impossible. Is there something else that I should be trying?
Working...
X