No announcement yet.

Bye bye PtW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Ralph... great setup, and a great read. Thank you.

Well, my new machine could use a game that stretches its legs a bit - so I will crank this one up tonight. I also like Stuie's house rule to balance the game play.

Again - thank you.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Are you still lurking, Soren? What does Russia want, again and again? She does not cease to attack, peace treaty or not. She is backwards, poor and weak compared to me, I can destroy her at will. Actually I can't, because she owns a one-tile island, never thought the map generator allows this. But still... I have played civ a lot and seen many wars, but never experienced a civ as aggressive as this.

I have a save and will upload or send it on demand, but it is >500 kb and Apolyton won't attach it.

Comment

She is backwards, poor and weak compared to me, I can destroy her at will. Actually I can't, because she owns a one-tile island, never thought the map generator allows this.

Maybe the AI knows it can't be killed by you since you don't have Marines so it thinks it is invincible?
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I have only seen something like that when they had an MPP and I was forced to attack their partner.

Comment

Is Russia at war with anyone?
            I have seen this happen when the AI needs to cross my lands to attack someone on the other side.

Comment

No, Russia is at war only with me.

Comment

I've seen this happen too, and it's most likely because she's trying to go sneak attack a different civ on the other side of you. That's what happened in my experience.

Try this: load up the turn where she refuses to leave, give her a RoP instead. I'm betting she sends those knights on through and hits England or France. She's only declaring war because the only alternative you're giving her is to leave (and thus not be able to attack whichever civ she's after - you big meanie! ).

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Well... may be you're right, but my inner cities are undefended and temples, cathedrals, colosseums, libraries and universities aren't exactly quickly rebuilt, if you are wrong.

Comment

I think Arrain means to save where you are and come back to it regardless of how it turns out. IOW just run a few turns where you ask them to leave and not ask and see if they are on a sneak attack against you or some one else. Just for clarification. You could not take that change normally, but this just to satisfy curiousity. If you have undefended cities, I am suspectign they meant to come for them, not some other civ, but who knows.

Comment

My bet is with vmxa1. Try garrisoning those cities, and I bet she stops. Although Arrian and alexman have a good theory too.

Alas, I did not wait for you to start this so I could 'play along'. I didn't know you would be so quick, so I started one last PTW game of my own. I'd have to say I'm having a slightly easier time of it, but then my settings are not as tough as yours. It's still interesting though.

I have to wonder if the PTW generator 'knew' what was up and generated some memorable maps...
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

You have time for at least one more game as 11/5/03 looks like the new date.

Comment

Not at the speed I play.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I played only a couple of turns yesterday, because I had to care for my guests and decided to go to bed early, and not like one day before, when I went to bed at 3:30am, because I wanted to play that famous one more turn. I'm in the industrial age now and got Steam Power for free, woohoo! I sucked Liz dry, she stopped her research, so I have a lead of 2 advances now. The other continent is bombing me with luxury offers. I trade eagerly and pay the difference in gold instead with techs in order to give the AIs the opportunity to level techs with tech-for-luxury trades (they don't have gold anyway, theirs is mine now).

I played one turn with a reloaded game, made a RoP with Russia and it seems, that the "sneak attack another civ" theory is true, because the three knights passed by my undefended forbidden palace city. It's still not very sure, because sneak attacks go often towards the capital, especially when it's undefended. But to be honest, I don't have time and the nerve to check this out. I decided to break Russias spine and reduce it to a powerless vassal with a couple of hill cities.

I can't play much today, because I have a ... erm ... let's call it "evening meeting" with my colleagues, so the epic continues tomorrow.

Comment

Sounds good, SR

I do think Cathy was going after Lizzie or Joany. But maybe Berlin was more tempting... either one is possible.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Sir Ralph, its odd you mention the one tile island, as I have one in my game with this scenario. I ran standard, 70% continents, rest random. There is a one tile desert island off of my coast.

I dont remember seeing one before.

Im playing Mongols, but no horses

There isnt as much open space as I was expecting. The land hungry AI will happily place a city on a hill surrounded by desert. There are tracts of unsettled forests, but as borders expand, and citys are squeezed in then these will be chopped.

Thanks for the mod, its superb.
                                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
                                X