No announcement yet.

Bye bye PtW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the "alva trap" too, emperor is not much of a challenge, but deity is not really the fun and entertainment I seek after work. Seems the gap between both of them is too big. In Conquests, there will be the Demigod level between them. Maybe that's for me. And Sid is probably for Aeson. C'mon Aeson, deity is too easy, isn't it?

Comment

You could try modding the game to give the AI some of the additional advantages received at Deity level, but not all of them, at Emperor level. That would make Emperor a bit more challenging.

Personally, I just recently switched to Monarch, found that it wasn't all that difficult compared to Regent, and then tried Emperor. Now, it's doable, but not relaxing. I'd rather play a sloppy, fun game at Monarch, than a nit-picky game at Emperor.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I'd rather play a sloppy, fun game at Monarch, than a nit-picky game at Emperor.
        Me too. Most of the time, anyway.

Sounds like DemiGod will be good for you, SR (and many of the really good players here at 'poly).

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

If Sid level is just higher AI production and starting bonuses, and higher corruption levels for the player, it probably won't be all that much different than Deity is now. Basically, start out in a big hole, pit the AI's against each other, wait till corruption or military action gives the player a big enough economic edge, and then clean up. Deity plays out that way because of corruption and military tactics. The AI handles them both the same regardless of difficulty level.

The starting bonuses get them to the corruption limit much faster, but once an AI is there, it ceases to expand economically, and often will contract, nibbling away at it's income supporting useless improvements and units. If a Deity AI has 40 Longbowmen, it's better for the player than if they had none at all, but the AI will still build more if they can.

The AI looks at a hopelessly corrupt city and may value it more than a core city. It will build units to defend it, improvements that don't help it, and then treat it like an indespensible holding during warfare. The more corrupt cities there are, the more it favors the player. More targets, which the player can discern the value of, take advantage of, and the AI can't.

A player's corrupt cities can be used as settler/worker factories, draft camps, buffer zones, culture bombs, or just misdirection.

Comment

Unless they have done some work to the game, it will have only one AI. That means the new levels will just be about having different bonus than the current levels. It will not play differently at the new levels. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Comment

The 'alva trap'? I like the expression.
              I must say I wholly agree. Playing Emperor is much fun, but Deity is not fun at all. We all know why.
              I prefer to have fun and a (small) challenge than a big challenge and no fun at all.
              Let's see the new Demigod level...
              In the meantime, time to start Sir Ralph's game
              The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Sage
                I prefer to have fun and a (small) challenge than a big challenge and no fun at all.
                That's the spirit I like! Fun is the sole reason why I play this game at all. Some people have fun to press every piece of gold, every food and every shield out of poor terrain and are able to play and actually win SVC games , some need to tinker with the editor to give the AI a better chance, some get their fun out of Ultimate Power type games, some like to play like King Arthur (at peace if I can, at war if I must - that's me for instance, at least most of the time), some like to play like Attila the Hun... Suum cuique! - To each his own!

Now let the games begin!

In the meantime, time to start Sir Ralph's game
                If you do so and start with a new map, don't forget to fix my bugs (Riders and Ansars should be wheeled, I forgot this).

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

If you do so and start with a new map, don't forget to fix my bugs (Riders and Ansars should be wheeled, I forgot this).
                  You're asking too much of me. My computer skills are notoriously below zero.
                  I just picked up your save and started it. With respect to Ansars and Riders I'll try not to cheat too much

As for the game itself, I discovered Carthage existed when I spotted 2 of their warriors heading towards my capitol. Screwed every plan I had. Soon Carthage will be history....
                  By now I thought that some civs would remember how I react in such cases not being able to play a PP game is the worst offence they can commit

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Sage
                    I just picked up your save and started it. With respect to Ansars and Riders I'll try not to cheat too much
                    Both of them aren't at your continent and when you get there (mind you that you can't get there with suicide galleys) they'll be almost outdated, so it doesn't matter much.

Comment

• Wow SR, this looks incredible. I may have to give this a go, as one of the Asians.... we'll see, we'll see. It certainly wouldn't be as exhilirating as your endless war against the Russians I'm sure but I think the other continent deserves some attention.
                      You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Zen

Damn

you know any other sneaky way to get certain plains not be carrier-based?
                        Oddly enough, the "footsoldier" flag is the key to this. Set your carriers to "Carry footsoldiers only". Only aircraft that you have set to be "Foot" units will be allowed on the carriers.

I thought this was common knowledge on 'Poly, I'm certain I nicked the idea from one mod or another here.
                        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

• Now that's one sweet idea.

Comment

• "alva trap" indeed.

But I still say Arrian's ready for Emperor. Especially with granaries and a *slight* willingness to adopt tighter city spacing.

SR, when C3C comes out, let's spend a little time comparing what's new, what you've done, and the AU Mod.

I've always felt that the AI is sub-optimized on purpose, and that we should be able to modify difficulty through tweaks rather than just starting resources and conditions.
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• I'm out the Ancient Age now. Germany is no. 1 in techs and growing quite well, thanks to a C-T-T-C spacing. It's been peaceful until now, except for a short war against the Babs, which netted me their land north and a GL (Pyramids).
                              Just note that I tried to get 6 GL with my 4 Archers, but failed miserably. I'm really no good with computers.

Now I'm trying to build Sun Tsu and Leo and possibly the Sistine. Once I get the first two, it's a massive update and a war against the English (they are no. 1 overall) and later on against the Russians.
                              I'm researching at 40-50 turns and still manage to be on the lead (I researched IW, then went the Monarchy path), which I find a bit strange.
                              Sir Ralph, did you experience the same?
                              And before somebody asks me, I will post the game on my 'Emperor games' thread when I finish it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Theseus
                                "alva trap" indeed.
                                So we have a new thing named after one of our posters?

But I still say Arrian's ready for Emperor. Especially with granaries and a *slight* willingness to adopt tighter city spacing.
                                He sure as hell is, he's just lazy to do the extra micromanaging, can't wave goodbye to his precious ancient/med wonders for growth's sake and as you mention, can't be arsed to do a CxxC spacing. Am I right, Arrian, lazy git?

In a way I can understand him, though, I seek myself an alloy of challenge and fun, that's why I never got appealed by deity (which is 90% challenge 10% fun), but don't play monarch anymore (90% fun 10% challenge).

SR, when C3C comes out, let's spend a little time comparing what's new, what you've done, and the AU Mod.

I've always felt that the AI is sub-optimized on purpose, and that we should be able to modify difficulty through tweaks rather than just starting resources and conditions.
                                In my mod my target was to playtest some tactical changes mainly in preparation of a tactical PBEM mod. What good are new combat conditions or clever tactics in SP, if the AI doesn't use it? So my goal (increasing fun in MP) is not the same as the goal of the AU mod (improving the AI in SP) and I don't know how both can get together. But I will gladly share my experiences.

By the way, I worked hard the whole weekend, to get a new scenario together. It replays the RP epic Ultima (which I'm a big fan of). Highlights are a limited timespan from swords to muskets (and thus stretched research), no exploring (well, everyone knows the map of Britannia), no city building (each of 8 tribes has 10 prebuilt cities at the "historical" locations, settlers are disabled), and large unsettled forests, mountains and swamps for sweet warfare. Luxuries are replaced by magic reagents (mandrake root, spider silk and alike). Each tribe has an UU, additionally out of basic units with the help of these reagents can be made "magic" units, like the Blackrock Swordsman, or the Spellthrower (Archer with range 2 bombardement). Chariots and War chariots will be able to transport foot and bombardement units (and have their attack taken away).

It's designed to be replayable scenario (like a pre-set gameboard, each game will turn out different) mainly for MP (PBEM), but also playable in SP for each tribe.

It's far from completion, though. Here's a screenie of the map. It's height is stretched 200%, because the map view stretches the width (width of tiles is twice their height).
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X