Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the feedback!

here are the most important points you raised

A couple of Ancient units jumped out at me: WCs and MWs are overwhelming for the era, although, not, of course, across eras
    I will take a closer look to see what i can do about these two units in particular, I feel that the GS is fine, my main concern is all UUs being on par moreso, so if jag Warriors, Impi's and Immortals all are about 30% better than their base unit I want the WC and MW to be the same

The best ancient defender I saw in there was the Numidian, with a 4 defense. Then the Hoplite at 3, and everything else has a 2 defense. Against a 5 attack, 2 move unit? That should be a slaughter

but it means there's no place left for Spearmen, Pikemen or anything else. The whole idea behind defense in Civ3 is that if you a player is willing to sit there and do nothing, he's going to be more difficult to beat up on. With your mod it's all offense.
    I don't think that it is the slaughter you think it will be. I'm not sure if you put all of the changes together, but now grasslands for example will provide a 0 defensive bonus instead of 10%, however when you fortify a unit it now has a 50% defense bonus instead of a 25% bonus, and towns now have a 25% bonus, so a regular swordsman versus a regular spearman would come out so that the swordsman would win 59 to 41% of the time, however, it costs 50% more than a spearman...

Scout: Hidden Nationality, Invisible, and free upkeep can really screw up the AI. Seems to me like you can just park your Scouts on every resource available and the AI will never do anything about it, unless they have some other reason to move a military unit onto that tile
    scouts and explorers can no longer pillage, so their is nothing they can do to interfer with the AI...one cool thing about being hidden nationality, invisable, and zero attack or defense is that as long as you aren't at war with an AI it can move its military units across even on top of yours (ie: they have a unit in the same square as your scout at the end of the turn)

i'll also take another look at fascism and comunism

David

while too many cooks may ruin the broth, two (or more) heads are better than one, I don't want to overlook something, and having other people point out the flaws is helpful...it at least gives me something to think about

Comment

scouts and explorers can no longer pillage, so their is nothing they can do to interfer with the AI...one cool thing about being hidden nationality, invisable, and zero attack or defense is that as long as you aren't at war with an AI it can move its military units across even on top of yours (ie: they have a unit in the same square as your scout at the end of the turn)
      Wow, didn't know that.

Also, I confess I didn't look closely enough at the defensive bonus stuff (I saw the zero bonus on grass/plains, but didn't see the increased fortification bonus). Going back to the CivII fortification bonus, eh?

Anyway, so a fortified spearman in a town = 3.5 defense, then? 5.2.2's are still going to mow them down, but it isn't as bad as I thought initially.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Anyway, so a fortified spearman in a town = 3.5 defense, then? 5.2.2's are still going to mow them down, but it isn't as bad as I thought initially.
        an average spearman in a town would be 3.5 cost 20 shields
        an average spearman in a town with walls would be 4.5 cost 40 shields total
        an average spearman in a city would be 4 cost 20 shields

hopelite in a town would be 5.25 cost 20 shields
        hopelite in a town with walls would be 6.75 cost 40 shields
        hopelite in a city would be 6 cost 20 shields

nm in a town would be 7 cost 30 shields
        nm in a town with walls would be 9 cost 50 shields
        nm in a city would be 8 cost 30 shields

GS cost 50 shields
        it has a 1.43 attack advantage over a normal spearman in a city, yet it cost 2.5 times as much...so if you bring 4 GS against 10 spearmen in 4 towns for example, you might have a tougher time weeding them out than what it seems at first

Comment

Working...
        X