No announcement yet.

Revolutionary Strategy Implications of C3C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have taken recently to playing archipelago maps with ROP's and alliances pushed back to Republic/Monarchy, Communications trading pushed back to Education and map trading to Navigation.

The main effect I noticed is that the AI's can no longer bring each other into alliances so early in the game. This helps the player get a decent military together and means that you can tell one AI to shove their demands knowing that they can't they get the rest to war with you.

The communications trading isn't such a big thing if you have galleys out and about. On a standard map at least, it doesn't take long to explore coastlines (unless you are on an isolated continent but then you're stuck anyway). Even though the AI's could contact each other by galley in most of my games they often don't and I end up selling communications when I get education.

The delayed map trading is quite a big handicap to aggressive players. Basically it means guesstimating how strong your enemy really is and also doing a lot more scouting whilst you invade. It makes early scouting (before the AI's build many cities and establish cultural borders) very important so get those warriors built and out. Definitely important for expansionists and Aztecs.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I think where these changes will be really intersting is playing on something like Marla's Earth with 24 civs. It may give the world more of a feeling of having to explore, rather than just meeting one or two civs and suddenly having a map of the entire planet.
      I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV

The communications trading isn't such a big thing if you have galleys out and about. On a standard map at least, it doesn't take long to explore coastlines (unless you are on an isolated continent but then you're stuck anyway). Even though the AI's could contact each other by galley in most of my games they often don't and I end up selling communications when I get education.
        Even on a large map (not so much with huge maps), two galleys sent to explore in opposite directions can traverse the world in a surprisingly short period of time. That combined with establishing embassies to see where each civ’s capitol lie, gives one a pretty good idea of the shape of the world.

As far as the early era wars goes: the lack of map knowledge not only handicaps one as to the size of an opponent, but it also can blind one as to the size of any potential alliance partner the civ may bring in a war against you. That could be interesting and will require that much more exploration prior to launching an attack. And, depending on how the map is set up (just as an example, imagine civs stacked on top of one another like pieces of paper in a pile), despite the civ you’re attacking having limited contact, it is entirely possible that each alliance partner brings in another, and you are fighting against several civs which you have no real knowledge of strength or size wise.

As a huge/large map player, I like this change. I think it will bring a sense of discovery back into the game and will be more than a little significant.
        "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

and it might even give some sence to the explorer
          - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
          - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

What useful explorers !! is such a concept plausible

I have to agree though it would be nice to have to explore much more.
            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrewolf
              Not when explorers and map trading become available with the same tech.
              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Re: Revolutionary Strategy Implications of C3C

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                Apparantly Conquests includes this earth-shaking modification:

Tweaked Diplomacy
                - Communication trading now comes with Printing Press
                - Map trading now comes with Navigation

That changes everything. The ancient era will no longer be over in the BC period, which will in turn change the shape of the following era. It also makes the expansionist trait into a long-term cartographic monopoly.
                I say thank you.

It limits the human exploiter's ability to rob the AI blind.
                AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

except if _both_ civs would need to have navigation ... but i doubt that...

btw: i didn't mean it too serious. havn't found much sence in the explorer except if resource grabbing and pillaging...
                  - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                  - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Explorers do have a use: pillaging. I use them to cut resources.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Am I the only player who finds the computer's ability to out-trade the human in the ancient era more aggravating than beneficial to the player? I feel so ashamed...
                      You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

It's aggravating, but it's also part of the difficulty level. Part of the fun is figuring out a way to promote your own trading and ways of winning.

Comment

This may be the single unit I've never built.
                          "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rhothaerill
                            It's aggravating, but it's also part of the difficulty level. Part of the fun is figuring out a way to promote your own trading and ways of winning.
                            I guess so. I've gotten better at it. But still, I often start games in primo conditions only to find that the Arabs, Zulus and Mongols are building the Great Wall, Great Library and Great Everythingelse by the time I discover mapmaking. It drives me crazy. So, I'm looking forward to these changes, although I'm not sure if they should be coined "revolutionary" or just "important".

Also looking forward to less expanionists.
                            You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Originally posted by TheArsenal

This may be the single unit I've never built.

hi ,

use it for pillaging

or mod it and give it a one attack point , great for going after wounded units or barbs then , ......

have a nice day
                              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth

I guess so. I've gotten better at it. But still, I often start games in primo conditions only to find that the Arabs, Zulus and Mongols are building the Great Wall, Great Library and Great Everythingelse by the time I discover mapmaking. It drives me crazy. So, I'm looking forward to these changes, although I'm not sure if they should be coined "revolutionary" or just "important".

Also looking forward to less expanionists.

hi ,

, make it so that only civ X can build wonder Y , ......

have a nice day
                                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                                X