No announcement yet.

Proposal: Summer Epic Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Count me in, as this should be really fun. But at 250x250, the 512 city limit will probably be reached sometime in the game. With 230x230, I'm sure we would be OK. It's still pretty huge. What do you think?
    Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
      Why do you need to send me a generic map (I can generate one on my computer just fine)? Just wondering if I'm missing something here.
      My scenario wouldn't have a map in it; just the setting changes for world size, OCN, starting distance, research rate, and so on. (I'd kind of like to tune those myself.)

Comment

Ok, that's fine by me.

Just make sure all the players know what kind of tweaks you've made (I know you know this, but felt the need to say it anyway). You planning anything drastic?

Dominae
        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Konquest02
          Count me in, as this should be really fun. But at 250x250, the 512 city limit will probably be reached sometime in the game. With 230x230, I'm sure we would be OK. It's still pretty huge. What do you think?
          A lot depends on whether we want there to be deserted islands (and deserted tundra, desert, etc.) or not. If we want the entire world settled, even 220x220 would go over 512 cities by the time you count coast. 250x250 would run up against the number of cities limit a lot sooner, leaving areas no one gets around to settling in a timely manner deserted (and likely requiring relatively aggressive players to raze or abandon cities in some places in order to settle cities in others).

Opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
            Ok, that's fine by me.

Just make sure all the players know what kind of tweaks you've made (I know you know this, but felt the need to say it anyway.) You planning anything drastic?
            I'll probably just scale everything up in rough proportion to how it's done on the existing map sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
              250x250 would run up against the number of cities limit a lot sooner, leaving areas no one gets around to settling in a timely manner deserted (and likely requiring relatively aggressive players to raze or abandon cities in some places in order to settle cities in others).
              Opinions?
              I'm up for this. I dig playing the similar sized Ultra-Gigantic Map in one of the CTP2 mods. I imagine though, having unsettled space on the map would definitely give a different feel to the game. I also imagine with 24 civs you would have to destroy a handful just to make diplomacy manageable.
              "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

This is actually very close to the Civ3 SPDG we are doing now. We are the vikings. Togas and BFM did a custom map, where there will be lots of water action. We are playing Deity. There are all 24 civs. We are at 900 BC right now. Join in. We have had very low participation and the more that can join in the better. All are welcome. Elections will be held soon also, and so far I don't think anybody is running yet.
                If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

GodKing, I actually find that DGs are more time-intensive than SP games, if you put a reasonable amount of effort into them. Therefore I'm out.

Nathan, I'm ready for the scenario shell whenever you're finished. What to do about civ choice? I could make it more interesting by placing civs, but then that means the human player would have a restricted set of choices.

Dominae
                  And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

My current thought is to reserve a small set of civs for the human player to choose from and have the ones not chosen among those assigned randomly among starting locations relatively far from the human player (unless everyone wants to be the French ). The idea would be that the civs likely to be met before Navigation will be the same for everyone, but which civ is where after that would tend to vary.

So the question is, besides the French, who wants to play what civ?

Comment

I'm up for this. I'm not sure why, but the max water maps turn out to be fun games a large portion of the time.

By the way, in case I've never done it before, I want to thank you guys for all the effort that goes into setting up these games. They have kept my interest pretty high especially considering the declining attention span I have for most other things!
                      Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Map Borders

Just a heads-up:
                        Those Civs at the periphery of the map will have a defensive advantage compared to those in the center of the map area since they will have fewer threat axes. Additionally, the center civs will have earlier contact with their neighbors. Just an item for consideration....

Comment

I'm in, I like HUGMONGOUS maps unlike the bulk of Civ3ers who appear to despise them.

Comment

I've never played anything bigger than the unmodded huge map. I'd play it for the experience. Don;t really have a civ preference.

That said . . .

Originally posted by Nor Me
                            It's not the wait between turns that takes time; it's more that at some stages of the game you can double your income just by trading world maps thoroughly. Having to talk to most civs every turn or risk losing out in tech does make it very slow.

[. . . ]

I'd be worried that you'd end up with the same diplomatic or spaceship victory whatever happened. It's relatively easy to trade up to the front in tech if you are behind especially there's a spectrum of AI positions. Then it's hard to get ahead of the AI's at all even if you sucessfully conquer a few civs. The game is decided almost entirely by superior human trading and building wonders and SS parts faster. You might as well play a normal OCC which has the advantage of being slightly faster.
                            My expectations are pretty much the same as Nor Me's. I probably won't have the patience to trade maps relentlessly, nor to check trade deals often enough to avoid missing juicy opportunities. So be it. Regardless, I would still expect (hope?) to win, and would also expect to win just as Nor Me predicts -- a diplo or SS win. I just played a large map random game and resolved to win via domination or conquest (even though the other conditions were enabled) - it honestly got quite boring moving all my units each turn when the result was a foregone conclusion. Same thing can happen with a strong diplo / technology position.

Catt

Comment

OCC would be epic for me given the amount of free time I have.

Comment

Is this a single or multi-player game? If it's single I'm in. It will be my first attempt at an AU game. I've been reading along with the AU208 reports and it seems like lots of fun. Also never played a map larger than the un-modded huge maps, so this should be an experience. Can't wait!
                                "These rocks, he thought, are here for me; waiting for the drill, the dynamite and my voice; waiting to be split, ripped, pounded, reborn; waiting for the shape my hands will give them". -Ayn Rand , The Fountainhead

Comment

Working...
                                X