AI opening embassy. Sizing me up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI opening embassy. Sizing me up?

It may be my imagination but when an AI establishes an embassy with me they then seem very prone to attacking me. If I open the embassy it is O.K. but I have found that if it is the AI who established the embassy then I seem to regularly get attacked by them within maybe 20 turns or so.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I imagining things?

It does seem to be an aggressive tactic for the AI. I haven't noticed them declaring soon after, however normally this happens to me where it is my largest rival from half a world away, where they can't do anything against me... yet.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Haven't noticed it in my experiences. Perhaps it happened and I attributed it to other factors. Do you play at the highest levels? That might make a difference. When I play at emperor or diety I'm way too busy trying to minimize my eventual defeat that I've no time to notice things like that.
      "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

I don't recall this happening to me. But I really wonder, what are the factors that determine whether someone will set up an embassy with me ?

Is it my land area, relative power, culture, or simply some Civilisations are more "prone" to setting up embassy than others ?
        C3C ISDG Final Round : Actively Lurking

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_S
          When I play at emperor or diety I'm way too busy trying to minimize my eventual defeat that I've no time to notice things like that.
          Genius!
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I just finished Warlord Rome Standard game. I didn't open any embassy (avoiding mpp) after I destroying Egypt and Greek, and made me the only civ on a second biggest continent. Iraq, US, GR, UK and Aztec shared the largest continent.
            1. After I met Aztec and bought some tech and contact, he opened embassy at my capital (don't know the reason).
            2. US Opened embassy at my capital (looking for the maps, US was under attack with UK, Iraq and Aztec).
            3. GR opened embassy right after he joined the war against US (and after destroying Iraq).
            BTW I was the strongest, since I got no enemy and own a large continent alone.
            Any clue ?

Note : I opened embassy to UK after I decided to destroy GR who was the strongest on the other continent (to do trade embargo against GR)
            Game is just for Fun. Dont play the game if its not fun for you - binyo66 :)

Comment

Rob_S

How does this 'open embassy' stuff work anyway? Are embassies one-way only or do they work both ways? I rarely see AI open embassies with me but as I open embassies with the AI quite aggresively it may indicate that they work both ways.
              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Yes, they work both ways. I always consider it saved money when they open with me. :-)

Must admit I haven't noticed higher aggressiveness in civs that found embassies with me.
                "'Lingua franca' je latinsky vyraz s vyznamem "jazyk francouzsky", ktery dnes vetsinou odkazuje na anglictinu," rekl cesky.

Comment

I always assumed that the AI eventually gets round to opening an embassy when it has the spare cash to do so.
                  Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                    I always assumed that the AI eventually gets round to opening an embassy when it has the spare cash to do so.
                    this is what i thought, but if Peters theory is true i suppose it would be so they could spy on your cities to see what units you have where.

Peter, the other explenation would be that the AI opens the embassy for other reasons, but when they do they discover how weak your military really is and then decide to declair war (i am pretty sure this has happened to me).

Comment

Yes, but it's often quite nice to know what the AI is building in his capital, especially when you are in a wonder race. I will often do this. Kind of a first investigate city... However, if you let the AI establish the embassy, you don't get that sneak peak. In SP, it's not that big, but in MP, it can be quite an advantage...

--Kon--
                      Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

I haven't noticed any increase in agressiveness after embassy openings, but then I usually don't pay attention to them much.

Comment

I haven't noticed any extra aggressiveness either. Maybe it's the level i play on (Warlord). It's probably the level i play on.

I always establish embassies first. Usually if I don't establish the embassy then it wouldn't get established in a timely manner.

I always thought that the AI establishing an embassy was a sign that they weren't going to attack me. Why spend that money on someone your gonna attack soon.

Comment

To see how well defended your capitol is, and if they are willing to part with the cash to spy on your other cities.

But it could also be likely that an AI wants to offer some treaties and needs an embassy to do this. I have seen this only twice in my single player games, where X AI opens an embassy with me and then calls me up to sign an alliance against some other AI.
                            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Forget about the AI using an embassy to spy on your cities! It doesn't need to. One of the few cheats the AI use is that it is not bothered by fog of war so it will see where your units are no matter what.

ChrisiusMaximus , you're rigth. some treaties are only possible when you have an embassy
                              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Working...
                              X