Ultimate Power: a more pragmatic approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nbarclay,

a question: I saw in one of your screenshoots a dialog box asking you about to upgrade ALL the units.

How do you do this? Please help, sometimes I get bored clicking on each sinlge unit...

cheers

cumi

Comment

• IIRC is shift + U. You need to have a barrack in the cities with units to upgrade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Zen

Well, problem is Persia was my neighbor, and I happen to have this "thing" against Immortals so I dediced to wipe them off the face of the earth. (i.e. just to show you I'm a sport, I did not archer rush anyone although the temptation was there )
        No archer rush? Ah, Master Zen, the compassionate warmonger

I'm glad people are having fun on playing other people's games. I'll post my 'American experience' next week, if I'll still have a computer and a house by then. There are up to 250'00 anti-globalization people expected here in Geneva this week-end for the G8, and 40'000 will 'settle' in accomodations not 1 km from my house... Speak about Hippy/Impi hordes...
        The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Sage
          I'm glad people are having fun on playing other people's games. I'll post my 'American experience' next week, if I'll still have a computer and a house by then. There are up to 250'00 anti-globalization people expected here in Geneva this week-end for the G8, and 40'000 will 'settle' in accomodations not 1 km from my house... Speak about Hippy/Impi hordes...
          Oh dear. I hope they remember the rule about Swiss neutrality!

By the way, MS, let me just say that the Swiss make the best elevators in the world. No, I'm not sure what the point of that is, but I really like the elevators.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Sage

No archer rush? Ah, Master Zen, the compassionate warmonger

well, you said this had to be a more pragmatic approach didn't you?

cumi: yes indeed the mass upgrade is Shift-U however you need to have all the $$ necessary to complete the entire upgrade, not just part of it.
            A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

• I actually had to move about half a dozen horsemen out of town before I did the shift-U to upgrade my horsemen to cavalry. I still didn't quite have the gold for all of them. But moving about six out of town was a lot easier than upgrading ninety horsemen one at a time would have been.

Comment

• Originally posted by nbarclay
                I actually had to move about half a dozen horsemen out of town before I did the shift-U to upgrade my horsemen to cavalry. I still didn't quite have the gold for all of them. But moving about six out of town was a lot easier than upgrading ninety horsemen one at a time would have been.
                (silly me, why didn't I think of that )

Yes, sounds logical to pull units out of cities before attempting the upgrade. Thanks for the tip

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

• Originally posted by Nakar Gabab

By the way, MS, let me just say that the Swiss make the best elevators in the world. No, I'm not sure what the point of that is, but I really like the elevators.

In civ3, it's called 'spaceship', but there is no 'Swiss civ'
                  The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Zen

(silly me, why didn't I think of that )

Yes, sounds logical to pull units out of cities before attempting the upgrade. Thanks for the tip
                    I use that to avoid upgrading elite units. I pull out the elites and then shift+U. Works like a charm, provided I correctly remember where my elites are.

I am unsurprised that Nathan did so well with my Carthaginian start, without the aggressive warmongering I used. One thing, though: you wanted leaders from your big Cavalry conquest, right? Then why did you do a "classic RR blitz?" By annihilating the opposition in ~10 turns, you really limited your opportunities for leaders. I'm sure you could have easily sustained a longer war... or better yet several wars in quick succession, with a few turns of peace thrown in while re-positioning/healing your troops.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• I only really "had" to have one leader, for my Forbidden Palace. More would have been nice, but with my tech lead, building wonders the slow way isn't that big big a deal. And railroad blitzes like that are too much fun to pass up. As I recall, I did wait a couple turns between annexing Germany and going after Persia, and probably another turn or so before going after Japan.

By the way, if I didn't get my leader for my Frobidden Palace on my home continent, there were always Russia and the Celts.

Comment

• Yeah, the Russians provided 1 or 2 for me, and the Celts gave me ~5.

Anyway, strange map, huh? At least I thought so. The Celts/Vikings/Aztecs configuration was just odd - cramped on a crappy little continent, but yet there was that big empty penninsula on the main continent. Wacky civ placement - good for the human, though.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• I have fought two major wars an no leader!

I'm building the FP the hard way, fortunately the city site is not bad and I already rushed a Courthouse via forest chops, so it'll be done in ~18 turns (thanks to my Golden Age too)

Comment

• Where are you building your FP, Master Zen?

Hmm.... forest chops... could be out West.

-Arrian

Comment

• Non-aggressive 'Sufficient Power' approach applied to Arrian's Carthaginian game.

First, big thanks to Arrian for posting this game. It's good to have a thread with different strats applied to the same start position. Carthage is a great builder civ - like the French but with a useful UU which you often don't need to use due to its high A/D values deterring attack without needing too many of them.

After sending out a couple of warrior-scouts I soon wondered whether Arrian was taking the peace out of the peaceniks by giving us a continent stocked with Persian, German, and Japanese neighbours. Wow! Three of the most famously belligerent and aggressive civs, with a n-n-nasty UU in each era - Immortals, Samurai and Panzers.

I built a granary and barracks in Carthage, sent out 5 settler/NM pairs to ring the capital, which started on the pyramids. The new cities built workers, temples and barracks. Meanwhile I grovelled and scraped to the Persians and Germans, giving them GPT, cash and generous tech deals to keep 'em sweet. It paid off - eventually they went to war with each other, grinding each other down and leaving much of the continent unsettled.

With the Pyramids I was able to churn out settlers everywhere while keeping the population and economy up, with the industrious workers laying down roads to the west of the continent, with the lone furs the priority. By 230AD I'd REXed the whole of the west, save for one japanese city and grabbed an eastern resource site. After rushing a temple and marketplace, an FP was started out west by hand. Thanks to the commercial trait, it didn't take long.

Map and Powergraph : 230 AD
                              Attached Files

Comment

• The Persia-Germany war finally ended in 500AD. By 700 AD I'd met the rest, courtesy of the Celts who'd built the Lighthouse and settled islands near the main continent. I'd also settled local islands and 2 far-east resource sites (incl a backup iron).

Map and Powergraph : 700 AD
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X