No announcement yet.

A soldier's arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really cool retelling, Lazarus. Bravo, bravo.
    Overworked and underpaid C/LTJG in the NJROTC
    If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?
    If fail to plan, then you plan to fail

Comment

I've just read that a movie version of Thermopylae is being planned. IIRC, it'll be directed by Michael Mann, so it should be worth watching. I expect all of you who read this to be on the lookout for historical inaccuracies.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Yes. It is based on the Gates of Fire novel by Steven Pressfield. I read Bruce Willis wants a part.

Comment

I just finished reading this story. Well done.

I bet after the dude and some others hid in that gruesome pile of splattered bodies, whenever another fell from the cliff after that, the pile must have seemed to get up and move over to avoid having more people land on them. And what if some persians fell as well and survived? They must have had their own little rumble down below to sort things out.

I like Michael Mann's goods so I hope he makes that movie.
          Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

Unbelievable. The writing talent I constantly find in these stories is amazing.

“The American people have now spoken, but it’s going to take a little while to determine exactly what
            they said.” — President Clinton

Comment

Well, what can I say?

I come from Greece, and this is one of the best recited stories I have heard for our history.

I just loved it. I hope you have the time to also write for the naval battle of Salamina (is it Salamis in English?) as you definitely have the skill and talent.

Keep up the good work man!

PS. Maybe you could include some Greek dialog in as well, just for taste. I could help you if you wanted with the translation. Just a thought...
              We few... We very few...
              We band of BROTHERS!!

Comment

I just read this... fantastic.

I had the same reaction to Gates of Fire.... Laz, great great job at portraying the dirt, muck, and comradeship that grunts face!!
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Wow! Outstanding story!!! I loved the way you depicted the battles! Totally different then I'd ever imagined. Also loved the way the "hero" of the story was such a regular guy. Absolutely drew me in!

Comment

Since we seem to be bumping up some classic stories, I decided to include this one.

"A soldier's arms" is Laz's best work IMHO, retelling the battle of Thermopylae in true-to-life detail. Infinitely more realistic than the published versions of this historic battle, this is one of my personal favorites.

If you haven't read this, I definitely recommend it - if not for the superb quality of writing, then for the historical aspect of the story.

An excellent piece.

Comment

Wohoo, our prayers have been heard! The guitar dude is back! Will you write for us, will you write for us?
                      XBox Live: VovanSim
                      xbox.com (login required)
                      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                      Spore page

Comment

I expect all of you who read this to be on the lookout for historical inaccuracies.
                        Well Greco-Roman wine was a lot different than modern wine, really thick gummy and sticky (with a higher alcohol content). Not easy stuff to "gulp."

That's all I saw.
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I just read this, my first foray into this forum.

Absolutely incredible, Laz. I am speechless.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Well you see you dont know what you have been missing Guynemer, this is a fantastic piece by Laz and you will find hundreds of other superb stories archived here.

If you change the forum display setting to the beginning theres pages and pages of stories here going right back to the release of Vanilla civ 3
                            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Working...
                            X