This forum rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This forum rocks

Well, I've spent a nostalgic day surfing the Civ3 Stories forum. My reaction: whoa.

This forum is awesome.

There have come and gone so many magnificent writers. Looking back only to the time when I first started reading the stories here, I can recall the "big guys" who posted so often and wrote such masterpieces. People like Hawaii Five-O, Grundel, Kramerman, and WTE-OzWolf haven't been back since the end of summer.

I also realized that it's been six months since I joined the forums - July 1st, 2002. Wow. That was a while ago. With nostalgia, I can remember the first post I made - in one of Grundel's last stories before he left. Maybe soon, if the forum picks up even more, and regains its former glory, the new posters will see the current posters as the "big guys" - ChrisiusMaximus, vovan, scratch, and all the others.

I revisited the greatest stories I've read - Chronicles of Imhotep, World at War, Epic Tale of Navalon, everything by OzWolf. The masterpieces. If only I had more drive, my own stories might equal theirs. My first story was driven - I knew where I was going, and it worked. I got there. And the "big guys" read it.

I don't know what I really gained from today's forum-surfing except an immense sense of pride that I was here to vote in the old story contest. And I have that sense of awe and wonder caused by reading the greatest Civ3 short stories ever written.

You know Guitarist your stories are equally worthy of being in this place of talent. It was your first story that provided me some inspiration to have a go so although I agree that you are right in what you have said I think all the stuff here is special.

Special because its freely given for all who care to read to enjoy, that is the spirit of this forum.
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

read some of cbraund's and metaliturtle's
      Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals....except the weasel -Homer
      Who's up for some scroungin'? -Homer

Comment

Oh of course, cbraund and Metaliturtle deserve mentioning as well, but I wasn't listing all the great authors I'd read - I was just giving a few examples. I really loved Metaliturtle's stuff - CGW had me in stitches.

Comment

long may this forum live!!
          Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; December 7, 2002, 19:05.
          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

You said it, i didn't.

I do agree this forum rules, if only some people can be a bit more friendly...

-Mellian

Comment

Nice to see you poke your "queenly" head out of your AE hole every so often, Mellian. Just be wary of giant birds of prey swooping down upon you.

Comment

Doesn't matter, i make sure i carry around my shotgun.

-Mellian

Comment

I hope that shotgun back-fires on that nasty fellow.

Guitarist, its ironic that you'd make a thread like this just as I was thinking this forum really isn't worth coming to anymore. My reasons are (1) I've had 7 pop-up ads so far on this visit (2) only one person bothered to read the last episode I wrote which took a good deal of time to cook up (3) the nes problem is getting out of hand and the nes writers have no interest whatsoever in our stories so the logic of why they hang out here escapes me (4) most of the writers on this forum have degraded themselves to nesers

Sayonara
                  Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

...I remember the old stories...The Hunting Season...What willl you trade for iron(y)? (or something like that)...that cartoon strip Bored with Twenty Nukes in teh Arsenal...WTE_OzWolf's stories...cbraund's stories...and many many others...

Comment

Hmm... Maybe we should compile a list of the best stories somewhere, and top that thread? Of course, there is the "history of story competition" thread, but then there were a lot of great stories that didn't win a competition. Maybe we could somehow make a list of the best of the best all-time?
                      XBox Live: VovanSim
                      xbox.com (login required)
                      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                      Spore page

Comment

that's been done vovansim, the truth is, there are more great stories than terrible ones, and some of the best stories on here were overshadowed by better ones during the same contest. Also, everybody has a different image of which is "best," like for me, the best story is the funniest, and CGW would win hands down, but for people who don't like funny stories, or would prefer more dramatic ones, then Cbraunds or WTE-Ozwolfs would be better.
                        Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals....except the weasel -Homer
                        Who's up for some scroungin'? -Homer

Comment

Ah yes, I remember alot of good old storys, and good new storys. Though I think my favorites are probably some of WTE-OzWolfs too.
                          "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

My personal favourite was "The Cost Of War" by Oz, does any one know where he got to? Hes not posted here for ages.

Comment

Does anyone know where all the great storytellers of the past went to? They just seemed to fall of the face of the world

(I mean in this forum)
                              I am the second place man!

Comment

Working...
                              X