My first experience with monarch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first experience with monarch

With only a high score of 2900 from playing regent, I set out to defeat an AI with a slight edge above me. I knew I could defeat them with the Chinese. Right. Until this game, I never knew how people could get 6+ leaders in a single game.

But now I know that the AI NEVER wants peace! I never imagined that they would be so warlike! I tried an early war with 1 of the AI to slow him down. It succeeded, but I made enemies with the rest of them. Now, every turn is a war. Fighting 2 or even 3 of them at the same time is normal. I could do it in the middle ages, but it is so difficult to face them in the ancient era outnumbered 3 to 1.

I am behind in the tech race. It isn't even A.D. but feudalism (and pikemen!) are already here. I am fighting 2 other civs, and I have no navy at all. It seems to be a stalemate, but at least I have more elite units than I can imagine. I don't know if I should use my elite horsemen to go for leaders or try to survive until I get riders.

To the people that regularly play monarch or above: does the AI ever pay for its atrocities? The Germans have broken 4 peace treaties, but the other civs don't seem to care. In fact, I have been betrayed more times than I have betrayed. Alliances are short lived, except the ones against me. I only have 2 luxuries, and I am scared to move my workers out so I can trade them.

Ok, how do you kill those guys? It is so disgusting how powerful they are in numbers. I am currently the #1 civ on my continent with a strong military, although much of it is reserved for defence and military police. Should I try to prolong the war to gain a leader for the FP or make peace and take advantage of my vast territory and recover?
    Wrestling is real!

attack unrelentingly. Rush the FP, reach monarchy and get ready for a couple of thousand years worth of war.
    DANGER! - Unexploded Civilian

Comment

not that I've played on monarch yet ::
      DANGER! - Unexploded Civilian

Comment

Hehe, I think winning monarch will be very difficult. I would like to see the other civs fight each other as much as I fight them.

I did notice that the AI treats cities with less respect, maybe that is why I am attacked a lot. They don't see it as a big deal. I mean, I got 3 cities from a peace negotiation! It really is important to keep up some border cities for defence...

Anyway, I am playing Double your Pleasure mod for fun now. It will be cool to play that mod in multiplayer with my friends. 8)
        Wrestling is real!

Comment

Sounds like you're getting your butt wooped. The few times I've actually played civ, I noticed you can win easily by keeping on good terms with the ai's until one of them threatens you. Tell them to bugger off and when they inevitably declare war on you, you just round up all the ai's who like you to go and waste the bully while you watch the fun. You'll have to pay a bit of coin to make your buddies fight, but it's usually not too much. Its better if a strong ai with a lot of protection pacts declares war on you so you can set up 2 alliances of multiple countries to scrap it out with each other. High body counts result.

By the way if you want to play with your friends (like real people I mean) how do you set up your computers to do it?
          Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

I played monarch once with greece, i managed to keep out of war untuil i was crushed in the middle ages (gave into alot of demands)
            Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

I had both Germany and the Aztecs as neighbors. I should have gotten ready for war a lot earlier. Because I was behind in the tech race, I had nothing to barter with to make an alliance. I managed to hold them off until the Iroquios joined in.

I find monarch to be more fun because you are constantly in danger of losing. Unfortunately, too much of the danger is caused by the AI cheating, rather than its strategies.
              Wrestling is real!

Comment

I just hate when I must resort to never-ending flatulence just to keep myself in a state of mind that can handle situations like those, but I don't think it's cheating that on higher difficulty the AI gets an advantage
                First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

The AI gets cheaper buildings and starts out with free units. I would rather have the AI become stronger by becoming smarter, not by getting free stuff.
                  Wrestling is real!

Comment

unfortunately, they have yet to develop a computer that thinks...
                    First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                    Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

But they can do pathfinding. The AI should have to make decisions based on what it knows about its surrondings, not because it has access to the whole world map! And it shouldn't become so powerful by having free units. It should know what to build and when. That's what is unfair.
                      Wrestling is real!

Comment

play on chieftain if you don't want difficulty, otherwise, stop whining or wait for MP

Comment

But I do want difficulty! I don't want chieftain because then I would get an unfair advantage. The AI is supposed to get smarter on higher difficulties and I haven't seen a difference.
                          Wrestling is real!

Comment

All AIs are basically the same, the Chieftain AI does things more or less the same as the Diety AI, the difference is they are given extra stuff at the start to provide a challenge. If you want a new AI, my suggestion is you hack into the hard coding of your game and change it. Expect to be at this for a while though, just to eliminate the extra techs took one of my buddies about 8 hours of nonstop hacking, and then the game kept crashing.

Comment

I'm not hacking this game. I'm wondering why so little effort was put into the AI. Handing out free bonuses to the AI doesn't make the game much more interesting.
                              Wrestling is real!

Comment

Working...
                              X