Our Need....Our Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Need....Our Right

PRESIDENT SMOKE-JAGUAR'S ears were ringing from all the shouting. Normally docile senators and congressmen were red faced with anger.

"THERE IS ALUMINUM NEAR the Babylonian town of New Karana!! WE have NO aluminum deposits in all of our territories! We have the most powerful and advanced military on Earth! Hamurrabi has no use for it! He doesn't even know it exists! There is no reason why we shouldn't take it!!!" screamed the senator from Xcalmkun.

"There IS valid reason!" retorted the senator from Lazapa. "We have had peace on this continent for over a thousand years. Would we violate that now? We can trade with the Indians..."

"The INDIANS? Those fascists? They'll trade it away...!"

"What makes you th..."

The Speaker banged his gavel. "Gentleman, can we please maintain a semblance of decorum?"

The President rose to speak.

"The Chair recognizes you, Mr. President."

"Gentleman, esteemed colleagues, it is my opinion we must never be dependent on a foreign power for a vital resource. When we found we had no iron and coal, we set up fortified outposts of Fort Jaguar and Fort Defiance to control unclaimed deposits. Unfortunately, now there is none of this resource that does not already lie in another realm."

"As much as it pains me, as I never gladly and willfully send our men into battle to die, we must act to claim this resource by force."

The vote was soon cast, 54-46 in favor of war.
    Last edited by justjake73; June 14, 2005, 15:48.
    One OS to rule them all,
    One OS to find them,
    One OS to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.

OPERATION SEVILLE, 15-22 MARCH 1978
    OBJECTIVE: SEVER DIRECT ROAD LINE BETWEEN BABYLON AND FORT LIBERTY

One OS to rule them all,
    One OS to find them,
    One OS to bring them all

Comment

Not a clean paste in #2

Can't correct it now
      One OS to rule them all,
      One OS to find them,
      One OS to bring them all

Comment

OFFICE OF MAYAN SECRETARY OF DEFENSE, 10AM MAYAN CENTRAL STANDARD TIME, 4 APRIL 1978

"The French have honored our mutual protection pact without us asking, Mr. Secretary. They have attacked Babylon in several border areas, with predictable mixed results."

"We must act to protect our allies and our border. Commence War Plan Red Alpha. Reinforce the French and build firebases as planned."

"Yes sir."

32nd TANK REGIMENT, NEAR MONT BLANC, FRENCH REPUBLIC

"YEEEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWW!!!! RUN you babette, RUN!"

"Jeez louise, Fife! Could you keep it down a little? Yellin' like that tends to echo in here!"

One OS to rule them all,
        One OS to find them,
        One OS to bring them all

Comment

Interesting indeed.
          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

MSS TIGERFISH, 65 DEG 34 MIN N, 43 DEG 9 MIN E

"Sir, Conning Tower reports fog is making visual observation difficult. Estimated visibility is less than 200 feet."

"Acknowledged. Last reported sighting of Babylonian convoy?"

"Sir, the Lionfish reported losing contact at 1305 ZULU, position 63 degrees, 20 minutes North by 39 degrees, 12 minutes east."

"Very well..."

Suddenly there was shouting. The master chief and seaman who had been observing on the deck were clamoring down the ladder.

"ENEMY SHIPS SIGHTED BEARING TWO-FIVE-ZERO, 200 FEET!!!"

"CRASH DIVE; CLEAR THE BRIDGE!"

"LAST MAN DOWN, CONNING TOWER HATCH IS DOGGED SHUT!"

"GREEN BOARD, PRESSURE IN THE BOAT!"

"MAKE YOUR DEPTH 1-2-0 FEET; 4 DEGREES DOWN BUBBLE!"

"MAIN INDUCTION SHUT AND LOCKED!"

"PASSING 100 FEET, 4 DEGREES DOWN, SIR!"

"VERY WELL, ALL-AHEAD ONE THIRD, HALF-A-DEGREE DOWN BUBBLE!"

"Torpedo room, Conn, flood tubes No.1, No.2, and No.3."

"CONN, SONAR - HE'S RIGHT ON TOP OF US SIR!!!"

"CHIEF-OF-THE-BOAT; RIG THE SHIP FOR DEPTH CHARGE."

"RIG THE SHIP FOR DEPTH CHARGE AYE."

The crew never got a chance for a shot; the Baylonian destroyers were on them too quickly.

One OS to rule them all,
            One OS to find them,
            One OS to bring them all

Comment

"What are we doin' out here anyway? We're supposed to be a garrison force! Now we're marchin' across a frozen wasteland to capture some forbidden fleaspeck of a town? I'm freezin my butt off!!"

"Kwitcher bellyachin, Private, or I'll give you somethin' to cry about! We do what we're ordered, and that's your number one purpose in life! Move!"

1925 ZULU, 20 OCTOBER 1978

OPERATION BAUXITE SUCCESSFUL. BABYLONIAN CITY OF NEW KARANA OCCUPIED. ALUMINUM DEPOSIT SECURED. CASUALTIES BELOW EXPECTATION.

END.

One OS to rule them all,
              One OS to find them,
              One OS to bring them all

Comment

I haven't seen many stories structured this way- with sheer immediacy and only told through dispatches and dialogue.

Personally, I think that made it hard for me to get into it and become involved with the story.

but as a work of art and an experimental work- it's pretty nice!
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                X