Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timeline

Prologue

The eleven judges of the world tribunal walked silently into the chamber. They all had the tired look that everyone had become used to in a world gone to war. Their solemn nature did not seem to reflect the fact that it was all coming to an end. The only sound was the scraping of chair legs on the ancient wooden floor as they took their respective seats. The courtroom, as well as the world watching on the vid transmission, awaited their ruling. It was not so much that the ruling was in doubt, it was just a tired and abused world very much needing the closure of hearing it.

The Supreme Justice of the tribunal looked over the packed courtroom and took a moment to reflect on the events that had brought them all to this time and place. Five hundred years of high intensity warfare…five hundred years of billions laying dead in the streets…five hundred years of destroying the planet that they all loved. It was hard for him to believe that these ten prisoners before him were responsible for every last tragedy. For the first time in his one hundred year career on the bench he questioned his society’s rule against the death penalty. If ever an exception should be made…but no. No, that was the type thinking that these criminals hoped to foster in everyone. The solution that had been decided on was the best. Enough! It was time for him to pass sentence to the criminals and to address his world. He straightened his robe and his back . He avoided looking at the criminals and looked squarely into the camera.

“Ceasar, Cleopatra, Shakka, Bismark, Elizabeth, Catherine, Mao, Joan, Abraham, Smoke-Jaguar…You stand convicted before this court of the most heinous crimes against humanity. The blood on your hands is without parallel in our world’s history. The billions that died at your hands and the billions more that died bringing you to justice cry out for our strongest punishment.” The Supreme Justice now hardened his look and his resolve and faced the criminals squarely. “It has been decided that you shall be banished from this world for the rest of your natural lives. A ship will be constructed that will be capable of transporting you to a primitive world that will sustain your retched lives. There you shall live among the heathens until death claims your worthless souls. Your passion for war and violence shall be eliminated from our world. Your supporters will be hunted down and imprisoned. The cycle of violence that you inflicted upon us is at an end. There is no appeal…there is no reprieve. This judgement is final and will be carried out immediately upon completion of the transport ship. This is the will of the people.”

There…it was done. Finally, the centuries of war that these leaders had imposed on this world were over. The world was united and now at peace. So to were the justices of the tribunal. The only unnerving moment was Bismark as he was being drug from the courtroom in chains yelling “I will return! If it takes me five thousand years, I will return!” The justices all silently trembled at this remark.

The sentence was carried out as imposed. The transport ship ejecting the life pod of each leader at various points around this primitive world. It did seem that there were some wondering bands of humanoids down there but that was the least of the worries of the ships crew. They were simply happy to have this filthy duty behind them. They smiled on their return trip knowing that the warmongers could no longer practice their evil craft.

-My first attempt! Be gentle. All criticism is welcome and appreciated. I recognize that many on this board have far greater expertise as writers than I could ever hope to. Still, I have gotten such enjoyment out of your stories that I felt compelled to contribute. Enjoy.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Not bad at all

I like the prelude to it all. It works well for me.

J

Comment

Amazing 23 years ago I was involved in a D&D game that had a very similar opening. I look forward to where you take this.

I too, am new to writing, although I have been reading these stories for some years.

If I can offer you any advice, have fun with your writing, never think that an idea is too outragious, and never be disturbed if very few people leave comments.

I was a 'lurker' in the shadow world for way to long, and it was only when I started to write something that I understood the power of feedback.

So have fun and let the story roll....
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Nice start PLATO

Now dont take as long as me to update your stories
        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Quite an intriguing start, PLATO. I hope you don't forget to keep this going.
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

vovan How fast do you read? Dude, your post here is 1 minute after your post on marcos' latest space machine thread. Considering the time it takes to type & and post a message, that means you read this story in less than 30 seconds.
            Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

No it doesn't. I first read as much stories as I can fit into myself, and then comment to all of them. As opposed to read-comment-read-comment. So, the one minute is exactly how long it took me to type up the response.
              Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by vovan
                Quite an intriguing start, PLATO. I hope you don't forget to keep this going.
                I won't. Time...such a precious commodity. Thanks for the interest. I've got some good ideas where I want to take this, just need the time to sit down and do it. I actually anticipated having some time or I wouldn't have started. Sorry to keep you waiting.
                Last edited by PLATO; January 14, 2004, 01:01.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I want to see more!

Very nice beginning, yes, there must be more.
                  Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Ok, so can we please have some more soon...?
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Very cool and creative introduction, I will be waiting for more.

Comment

Hey guys! I am actually working on the next installment right now. Should have something posted this week. Thanks so much for your interest...and your patience!

Comment

Would be good to see what it is you are working on.
                          Spore page

Comment

Hi Plato,

we have not forgotten you.

Hope you are having a great week.
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

waiting eagerly
                              I am a prisoner on a ship of fools.

Comment

Working...