The Craziest Men on the Planet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Craziest Men on the Planet

The interesting thing about the military is that the senile, paranoid crazies are typically the ones who hold positions of power. This may have something to do with the fact that in order to achieve such high rank, you must stay in the military for a long, long time, and the crazies are the only ones deluded enough to stay in the military for such periods of time. The consequences are usually cataclysmic...

All was quiet on that fateful summer morning, as the sun rose over Grand Forks, Montana. It was the start of a perfect day-there was not the slightest hint of the chaos that was to come...

Slightly north of the main ICBM base at Grand Forks, there was a new mound rising up above the plains. At the top of the mound, there was yet another blast door, similar to those on the Minuteman and MX silos to the south.

The mound housed the results of Project Toggenberg, which itself was the result of the SDI bill pushed through Congress by President Bash the First, helped in no small part by the overthrow of Premier Gorbachef. Gorbachef had managed to escape from the Soviet Union and seek asylum into the US after being rescued by a team of SEALS, but his succesor, a senile maniac named Desadesky, had inflamed international relations, and put disarmament talks back to Square 1. As such, Project Toggenberg was pushed through Congress, and the Toggenberg Strategic Defense Laser was built. The plan would have been perfect, if it wasn't for the insidious ravings of the heads of SAC, CIA, and the newly established Missile Defence Command...
    Now just don't go forming any angry mobs now, you hear?

The high speed Chrysler limousine sped down the Montana highway towards Grand Forks AFB, and the Toggenberg base. Aboard was the President of the United States, and his Secret Service entourage. The limousine sped past after farm, and farm, and farm...

Occasionaly, they would pass by a small town, but those were few and far between. Inside, the President was passing his time talking...

The resason the President was visiting the Toggenberg site was that he was a Democrat. Instead of using an ABM system, the President advocated arms control. This visit would be pivotal in the history of the Toggenberg system. Would it stay...or would it go the way of Safeguard and Sentinel?

Comment

As the Chrysler limousine was speeding toward the Toggenberg ABM base, a very different arrival was occuring halfway across the world, in the cold, snowy wastes of Siberia...

The C-130 arced downward over the frozen Siberian tundra. It was rocked back and forth by the fierce winds. At the rear of the C-130, a large cargo door opened, and three small specks were seen to emerge, and fall...

The C-130 picked up speed and flew away.

On the ground, the three agents were in confusion...

Lt. Collins picked himself up, despite the stinging pain in his lower spine. He rubbed his back to soothe the pain. In any case, the cold would numb it down soon...

He grabbed his partner, Lt. Donaghue, and pulled him up. They walked-no, struggled over to the equipment pack, and opened it. They grabbed their packs and donned them.

"****! This weather is god damm horrible!" Collins yelled.

"WHAT!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" his partner answered. It was going to be a long, painful day.

Comment

Bring it on, I am enjoying this
        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
        I am of the Horde.

Comment

(Note: This story is a prequel to Havoc in Zero Gees. Once I am done with this, Zero Gees will have work resumed on it)

As the C-130 dropped off it's cargo of agents, a meeting of sorts was taking place in the Kremlin. The Central Commitee (Desadesky, Kissof, Chernenko, Andropov, and a bunch of other similar gap-toothed idiots) sat down at their tables. Desadesky was at the end as usual, sipping a glass of Stoli, as was everyone else. A few moments later, the whole rotten lot was thoroughly drunk.

Their attendants, seeing this, rushed in and administered a heavy dose of sober pills.

The effect wore off after a few hours. Comrade Desadesky was the first to speak.

"Okay, everyone...The reason I have called a meeting is because there is an issue concerning the nuclear strategic balance. The Americans have gone ahead with an SDI anti-missile laser. The effects could be very destabilizing. Intelligence warns us that the laser is very effective. We will have to build more nukes. I will call a vote."

As everyone at the table was of the same mindset as Comrade Useless Baboon's Arse (Desadesky) the vote was unaniumous. The USSR's defence industry was going to build more nukes. And they would be used in anger.

Comment

Never mind the lack of feedback here, Marcos. It's just because everybody is so captivated by your story, they can't type.

Keep going with this. While the installments are short, they are pretty good.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

Not bad for an angsty kid, eh?

Comment

Not bad at all....

Just curious, Do you Play Multiplayer often?
                I am of the Horde.

Comment

Five hundred miles away from Moscow, something was afoul...

A huge transport truck, the kind usually used to transport large ballistic missiles in parades through Red Square, rolled down a dirt road that had been hastily beaten between a huge pine forest. The transport truck negotiated the road until it finally came to a stop in a wide, open clearing. There was nothing to discern this clearing from the others except for the fact that a huge mound had been built, and it rose out of the center of the clearing like a a bruise on the forehead of a person. On top of the mound was a large concrete slab which resembled a manhole lid. As the truck came to a halt, the noise of hydraulics could be heard. The lid turned on a fixed pivot until it opened. Then, a pillar, which looked similar to a telsecope mounting, rose out. The truck raised the container, and drove to the pillar. Then, the container was lowered, until it snapped into position. Then, the container was raised. When it was all finished, it looked rather like the Toggenberg ABM laser.

Comment

ahhhh, you do like to tease
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Good stuff with a little dose of intrigue
                      A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Halfway across the globe, the limousine ground to a halt in the Grand Forks AFB parking lot. With a low click, the doors unlocked. Then, they all opened simoultaneously. Out stepped six tuxedoed Secret Service agents, followed by the President, the Vice President, a US Congressman, and several presidential advisors. There was little to discern the President and his entourage from the Secret Service agents other than the fact that the Secret Service agents wore sunglasses.
                        "Well, well, well, what do we have here?" the President asked, a tone of contempt tinging his Arkansas accent. He pointed to the Toggenberg ABM laser. "So, that's it...I'm dissapointed. I though it was going to be more impressive up close, but now it isn't..."
                        He turned to his Presidential advisor.
                        "It looks like a telescope," he said.
                        "That's because it's derieved from telescope optics," the advisor replied.
                        "Thank you," replied the President. "Hey, Al! Get some beer from the trunk for everyone!" he yelled.

Comment

hurry up
                          Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by unscratchedfoot
                            hurry up
                            yeah well

some more would be good....
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

Yup, yup, waiting for another installment. Keep them goods coming.
                              XBox Live: VovanSim
                              xbox.com (login required)
                              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                              Spore page

Comment

Working...
                              X