Let's have fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah...Real Madrid = Soccer.
    Tut tut, UnO; Real Madrid = football. You have to remember you're speaking to Europeans with their crazy screwed up terms for things

I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Coventry City! Then Gordon Strachan could be your manager (or has he moved on? My knowledge of the Premiership is a couple of years out of date).

You had the strat forum regulars forming what many view as the Real Madrid of civ teams, Gathering Storm
      This is a perception I deeply regret not having fought from the beginning. It has, IMO, caused us no end of trouble.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
        No offense Soccer/football fans, it's one of those sports that, for me, is fun to play (I played fullback in highschool) but not so fun to watch on the TV. Much like Baseball and Basketball.
        Yes, yes. For me the only sports worth watching are [b]true/b] football games (American football) and hockey. Thank heavens College Football is right around the corner!

Hockey and Football best represent the medieval combat, especially football, their like two forces of knights dismounted in full armor squaring off against one another....................

Soccer, on the other hand, is like watching a bunch of neighbor brats running around on the lawn and through the sprinkler......

(Sorry, that last statement may not make sense to some, do they have running water in Europe?)

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

This is a perception I deeply regret not having fought from the beginning. It has, IMO, caused us no end of trouble.

-Arrian
          Look back, even I tried to fight it. It was to no avail, though. I know that many felt your team was being elitist in it's choosing of members and specifically recruiting strat forum and AU members through private means, not simple posting in here, in order to build an elitist team.

Yes, I could safely say it HAS caused you a good deal of trouble. There were those who never saw you in that light, but we were, I fear, a minority.
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Yes, yes. For me the only sports worth watching are true football games (American football) and hockey. Thank heavens College Football is right around the corner!

Hockey and Football best represent the medieval combat, especially football, their like two forces of knights dismounted in full armor squaring off against one another....................
            Yep!

Though I sure wish my Raiders would return to their roots of Smash Mouth Football. Im getting sick of this passing every down BS.
            One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

True, UnO. And as such, I doubt it was possible to come in "under the radar" so to speak.

Though if it had not been for the PM I got, I never would have even ventured to this forum and joined up. So I'm glad I was "recruited."

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

This thread hates to be on-topic.

Comment

My point exactly.

I didn't care if you guys were trying to make an 'elite' team. While at the time you were all very skilled Civ players. This is Multi Player. Your skill in SP, while greater than my own at the time, posed no threat at all in Multi-player that I could see. It is an entirely different game, and we were all starting anew with it.

I pointed it out at the time. Any recruiting for THIS game only had the possibility of gaining your guys' activity for future games.

Besides, there was a certain anticipation of wanting to face off against 'the best' as well. At least to me. I respected the team and the players, but fealt no fear in facing off against them, nor did I label them 'the team to beat' as I get the impression some did.

If anything, I would say GS has played much as I predicted at the beginning. I did a bit of a psychological workup of all the teams, and with the exception of a few unforeseen personality disputes between some members, and the inability to predict starting locations, it has gone pretty much as I expected so far.
                  Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; August 14, 2003, 11:58.
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Coventry City! Then Gordon Strachan could be your manager (or has he moved on? My knowledge of the Premiership is a couple of years out of date).

Indeed you are 2 seasons out of date. Strachan is the manager of Southampton now and has been doing a very fine job.
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Doesn't Southampton kinda suck too? (Coventry was just good enough to stave off relegation, and Southampton struck me as a similiar sort of team).

*smacks self* BAD!

Oh, um, Uno, good post. I agree (SP skill and MP skill may overlap in a few areas, such as micromanagement, but being good at SP does not in any way guarantee MP success).

-Arrian

Comment

They were 8th in the league last year and FA Cup finalists. Much better than they were a few years ago, hence my saying that he's done a very fine job as manager.

[/threadjack]
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
                          I think you guys should be proud. Whatever our feelings to GS as the in-game team personality, I can only say most people have the deepest respect to GS as players.
                          A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                            They were 8th in the league last year and FA Cup finalists.
                            [/threadjack]
                            yeah but I can't see them doing well again, just like Ipswich and Leicester they'll fade away as they don't have the quality or commerce to stay where they are.

My prediction is they'll be relegated this year along with Portsmouth and dare I say it Chelsea

or at least not do very well

[on topic] errrr.... team MAST are like Brazil
                            [/on topic]
                            Are we having fun yet?

Comment

I can't find an analogy for GoW as football teams, but as american football teams, we're definitely the Raiders

(this comment will please UnO... )
                              A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by OPD
                                My prediction is they'll be relegated this year along with Portsmouth and dare I say it Chelsea

or at least not do very well [/on topic]
                                LMFAOROFWL
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                                X