Let's have fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's have fun!

Ok, since the other thread has turned into a SPDG nostalgia /PBEM setup thread, I just wanted to share some thoughts on the original intent of Nathan's thread in a more on-topic way.

First of all, despite the fact that for the last two weeks I've been rather unattached to the game for RL reasons I can honestly say I've had fun since the first moment I joined the PTWDG. It is intense. It is passionate. It is not for the faint of heart.

I understand the reasons why some people have lost the fun part out of this game due to the aggresive nature of this competition, and the feeling that people have been insulted directly or indirectly. Whether that has been done is not the topic of this discussion, but more than one person share this sentiment, while many people simply view the trash-talking as a natural part of any competition and is to be taken lightly.

Yesterday night, me and Arnelos were talking about the demogames with AdrianHon, it was more of an interview really, but certain things come to mind that are relevant in this case.

First of all, we must understand the origin of the PTWDG and thes takes that are involved, and mind you, they are HUGE. Bigger than anyone will likely admit in public. The first SPDG was a team affair, everyone united for a common end despite the fact that the means to achieve that end varied and was the nature of the political parties. I wasn't in that game, but from what I've been told, it was ALL about the politics, yet that same political "dis-unity" created a common bond in the sense that people were nevertheless in the same boat together and like it or not, were in with each other to the end.

The PTWDG changed all that. For the first time it was not just "who had the better idea" but rather "who are the best civ players". No way to say the hawks could have done it better, or the DIA could like in the SPDG. Here the winner will be decided by who played the best game of civ, plain and simple.

Now many people in the PTWDG were not involved in the SPDG while the old SPDG crowd spread out among the various teams, more suited to their political inclinations of that first game. The Hawks went to GoW, and the DIA to RP and Lego for example. But new crowds got involved also. You had the strat forum regulars forming what many view as the Real Madrid of civ teams, Gathering Storm. Then you have the germans at ND, and the more aloof but no-less dedicated Voxians.

And you still don't think the stakes are huge?

It's all-or-nothing. There will be one winner. One group of select people who can lay claim to have been the winner of the first competitive democracy game in the world's biggest civ site. So much for being "just" a game. In this sense, the stakes may even be higher than the ISDG. Do we cross paths with CGNers, or GCAers or Firaxians every day? Nope. But we see each other here, the competeitive spirit is always with us, be it PBEM, MP, or just plain who kicks bigger ass in SP, and especially since many of the PTWDG teams have done much better than some of the ISDG teams from what I've seen. If the level of competition is more fierce, the satisfaction of winning, is invariably greater.

We all have a little bit to prove here. If GoW wins we can claim that realpolitiking and opportunism won the day. If GS wins, they will be proud that all that time in the strat forum paid off and prove that they're not just good at kicking the AI's butt. If ND wins, well, imagine a rival site beating out the best Apolyton has to offer! You get the picture.

So, for the sake of humility and sportsmanship, most people will say in public that this is just a game played for fun. But honestly I doubt any of them believe it, and if it were so, all this passion over other team's coments or actions would not be very important to some. Whether you are hyped, insulted, or just got caught rolling your ass off on the floor laughing, you can't deny that this game has grown on you and that for good or bad, feel a passion for it, and an overwhelming desire to win. That is the spirit of competitiveness, which though manifested differently by each person, is with us all.

So, all I can say is, get real, this is more than a game, it's Civ for christ's sake! It's our favorite game for some of us, played in our favorite community! It gets serious, it gets nasty, it gets heated, it gets comical, it gets to be everything at some moment. So enjoy it, have fun, be passionate, and most of all:

PLAY TO WIN

and don't be surprised if the others do too by all means necessary.

(and give yourself extra credit for having read this whole damn rant )
    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Some things I forgot to mention, also chatting with certain people we noticed that the biggest resentments or grudges were between people who were either not in the first SPDG or in the ISDG.

Being a member of the ISDG and the PTWDG I can say that it is very funny yet refreshing to know that your hated rivals in the PTWDG suddenly become your teammates in the ISDG. I assume that the people close to the original SPDG have the same feeling. Like I have said many times, many of the people in GoW's #1 enemy, RP, are actually some of my best friends from the ISDG, like Togas, BF, WB, Arnelos, E_T, WIA, NW, etc etc etc. For those who are only in the PTWDG it would be interesting to see how their perceptions of others change once you actually get to work with those you think are your detested enemies. It's a whole new ballgame and I for one am glad I joined the ISDG. It's a wonderful show of unity how all grudges and issues from the PTWDG are evaporated the instant we step into the forum or the chat and work together for a common goal, which for all those unbelievers, proves that the PTWDG rivalries are truly only skin-deep.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Plus winning the ISDG will be enjoyable.

Oh, and I want my extra credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip

Oh, and I want my extra credit.
        /me puts a shiny star sticker on Trip's homework

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
          Plus winning the ISDG will be enjoyable.
          I'm afraid you're mistaken. CFC isn't down for the count yet, and we don't plan on losing anytime soon.
          Join a Democracy Game today!
          | APO: Civ4 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ4 Warlords Multi-Team - SMAC | CFC: Civ4 DG2 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ3 Multi-Team 2 | Civ3 ISDG - Civ4 ISDG |

Comment

ISDG trash talk!!!

Originally posted by Octavian X
            I'm afraid you're mistaken. CFC isn't down for the count yet, and we don't plan on losing anytime soon.
            They never do... plan on it, that is.

Though history has shown that that goes without saying.

Comment

We didn't know CFC was down at all in the ISDG.

Comment

stop thread-jacking my thread!!!

Comment

Hmmm....
                  It's just a game.
                  You can not consider to find out who's the best civing team from the results of one game.
                  Just consider if Legoland would have played that well were they in the position of ND. How would have GS played if they were in the position of RP? How would have ND developed had we been in place of GS? What would have happened to Lux if they would have started on Legos?

I'm not telling that anyone would have played out their chances better or worse then they did. I just think you can not realy claim to be the best civing team just because you may be the winner of this.

If I got it right you wanted to find out how some Roles could be played out in this scenario.
                  The Builders.
                  The Warmongers.
                  The Roleplayers.
                  and so on.

Well it was suposed to be fun and competitive. Now the fun part is somehow shrinking....
                  Member of the Apolyton C3C DG-Team

Comment

Originally posted by Darekill

I'm not telling that anyone would have played out their chances better or worse then they did. I just think you can not realy claim to be the best civing team just because you may be the winner of this.
                    Obviously luck has a lot to do in civ, just like it does in RL. But I doubt the winning team will win by luck alone without displaying some considerable display of skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Darekill
                      Hmmm....
                      It's just a game.
                      You can not consider to find out who's the best civing team from the results of one game.
                      Just consider if Legoland would have played that well were they in the position of ND. How would have GS played if they were in the position of RP? How would have ND developed had we been in place of GS? What would have happened to Lux if they would have started on Legos?
                      The obvious solution to this is to replay the game with all possible permutations of teams and starting positions. With 7 teams (and therefore 7 starting positions) that's only 5,040 games to determine which team is best in all circumstances. That should be doable once we all have lifespans of about 15,000 years...

Comment

MZ - great post. Very thought-provoking.

I still lean to this being more of a game. But you have hit upon some of the reasons things do get as heated as they do.

And - if GS is Real Madrid, that makes Vox something along the lines of Crystal Palace (English soccer - tirer 2 or 3 team).

Hey - but just wait!
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Re: Let's have fun!

Interesting stuff Zen

Originally posted by Master Zen
                          But new crowds got involved also. You had the strat forum regulars forming what many view as the Real Madrid of civ teams, Gathering Storm.

If GS are the Real Madrid then I'm Steve Mcmanaman.
                          Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Beta
                            MZ - great post. Very thought-provoking.

I still lean to this being more of a game. But you have hit upon some of the reasons things do get as heated as they do.

And - if GS is Real Madrid, that makes Vox something along the lines of Crystal Palace (English soccer - tirer 2 or 3 team).

Hey - but just wait!
                            I'm sure you meant to say Accrington Stanley rather than Palace

Comment

Ah...Real Madrid = Soccer.

No wonder I was lost...

No offense Soccer/football fans, it's one of those sports that, for me, is fun to play (I played fullback in highschool) but not so fun to watch on the TV. Much like Baseball and Basketball.
                              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X