Things I've learned while reading the PtW Demo Game forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I've learned while reading the PtW Demo Game forum

* People love to watch fights, esp. trash talking threads and flame fests.

* Flame fests increase post count proportionally to the amount of people you can inflame.

* A good plan isn't half as important as good diplomacy.

* When two nations have goals that conflict, war is inevitable.

* War isn't won by armies, but propaganda and trash talking.

* If you need good propaganda, contact Beta.

* Posting any kind of manifesto is guaranteed to ruffle feathers.

* Don't mess with GS's chickens.

* The ally of my enemy is my enemy.

add your own...
    badams

You needed the PTW forum to tell you that?

I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Re: Things I've learned while reading the PtW Demo Game forum

Originally posted by badams52

* If you need good propaganda, contact Beta.
      I'm touched. (That should spark a response.)

But I do need to add:

* Winning the propaganda war feels good but you may still lose the main event.

And, given recent events:

* Perspective is everything.

And from history:

* If you go to war against GS, leave the swords at home. Bring chicken bovril and a big skillet.
      Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

* don't forget to throw RL out of the window

* join Demo-games if have nothing worth throwing out in the first place
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

* demo games take lots of time if you are involved, and can cause girlfriends to go away unexpectidly and perminantly....
          If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Originally posted by GodKing
            * demo games take lots of time if you are involved, and can cause girlfriends to go away unexpectidly and perminantly....
            And cause you to have horrible spelling.

But, I love you for your little faults, and little they are.

Comment

Razing cities - whatever side they belong to - is always satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                Razing cities - whatever side they belong to - is always satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by GodKing
                  That's terrible! Thanks for the warning!

We could say that the PTWDG civ and the girlfriend civ have a conflict of interests
                  "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                  "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

To put what some have already said another way:

* The pen is, indeed, mightier than the sword.

Comment

I agree. And when given the chance to do it all over, the players of PTWDG2 chose to emphasize this even more.

Comment

I'm not so sure the point of PTWDG2 is "propaganda and trash talking" so much as it is "joking around and roleplaying". Those two things aren't the same IMHO, but YMMV.
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by dejon
                          * The pen is, indeed, mightier than the sword.
                          * It's good to arm your mounted troops with giant stabbing pens.
                          A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Re: Things I've learned while reading the PtW Demo Game forum

Originally posted by badams52
                            * People love to watch fights, esp. trash talking threads and flame fests.
                            Actually, I hate doing this, which is why I rarely peruse this forum. I hate Jerry Springer, I hate watching politicians bicker, etc. I hate over half the content of this forum.

* Flame fests increase post count proportionally to the amount of people you can inflame.
                            Exponentially, because those you inflame have friends who will come to their defense, regardless of whether they were inflamed in the first place.

* A good plan isn't half as important as good diplomacy.
                            A good plan invariably involves good diplomacy.

* When two nations have goals that conflict, war is inevitable.
                            Yes (duh? )

False. So far in this game I've yet to see a conflict resolved purely via diplomacy. The propagand and trash talking in this game, regardless of the effort put into it, has been nothing more than hot air. I would like to hear someone disprove this claim with a specific example.

* Posting any kind of manifesto is guaranteed to ruffle feathers.
                            'Manifesto' is a dirty word.

Oh yes (duh? )

---

Sorry for being so negative in this post, but the one thing I've learned in this democracy game is that competition brings out the worst in people.

Dominae
                            And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Re: Re: Things I've learned while reading the PtW Demo Game forum

Originally posted by Dominae
                              Sorry for being so negative in this post, but the one thing I've learned in this democracy game is that competition brings out the worst in people.
                              Oh yes? Then I must be really-really good, if this is the worst me

I just think that some people are taking things way too seriously (I couldn't possibly imagine a situation when I would make a phonecall to announce an ingame event !!! (which I know is the case for some). This is a game, for christsake, don't take it so seriously.

Of course, OTOH others are taking (actually giving) flames too easily, ignoring the fact that they may cause real unpleasent emotions (there must be a better expression for this) to the receiving real person . I can shoot someone in an online game, so flaming him shouldn't be a big deal. Right? Wrong! Some online characters do actually live

There may be also people who realize that they are talking with real persons but being cowards in RL they become online bullies. I don't think there are many such people around, if any (at least I hope so). Maybe in the off topic forum

Let's keep some balance, folks.
                              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X