Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I've learned while reading the PtW Demo Game forum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The 4am phone call, and that period of the game (the initial Vox invasion), were some of my favorite points this far.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

    Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

    Comment


    • #17
      Someone actually phoned somebody?!?

      Comment


      • #18
        Yeah... when Vox surprised us, and we didn't have quite enough bananas ready, Sir Ralph called me in the middle of the night (Germany to NYC!) so we could formulate a response. I was a little, uh, fuzzy at first, but we rallied.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

        Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Re: Things I've learned while reading the PtW Demo Game forum

          Originally posted by Dominae
          Sorry for being so negative in this post, but the one thing I've learned in this democracy game is that competition brings out the worst in people.

          Dominae
          I'd say competition brings out the passion in people. And passion is both a combination of the best and the worst in everyone. Guess that's human nature... same thing can be said on practically any other competitive event. All I can say is that a psychologist would probably have a field day with this forum and this game.
          A true ally stabs you in the front.

          Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Theseus
            Yeah... when Vox surprised us, and we didn't have quite enough bananas ready, Sir Ralph called me in the middle of the night (Germany to NYC!) so we could formulate a response. I was a little, uh, fuzzy at first, but we rallied.
            That's amazing!

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Re: Re: Things I've learned while reading the PtW Demo Game forum

              Originally posted by Master Zen
              All I can say is that a psychologist would probably have a field day with this forum and this game.
              That's an 'affirm'.
              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

              Comment


              • #22
                Boy oh boy.
                Getting called at 4 am just to find out that we surprisingly would be in war with ... let's say Legoland, would lead to a mayor RL conflict beteen me and the one who's calling me thats for sure.
                After all it's just a game and I need some sleep.
                Member of the Apolyton C3C DG-Team

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Re: Re: Things I've learned while reading the PtW Demo Game forum

                  Originally posted by Master Zen
                  All I can say is that a psychologist would probably have a field day with this forum and this game.
                  I am a psychologist which is probably why I love this so much
                  Are we having fun yet?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Darekill
                    Boy oh boy.
                    Getting called at 4 am just to find out that we surprisingly would be in war with ... let's say Legoland, would lead to a mayor RL conflict beteen me and the one who's calling me thats for sure.
                    After all it's just a game and I need some sleep.
                    Well... Theseus gave us his number and said that if something important came up that we should call him, no matter what time it was...

                    Well, the opportunity came up... hehe. We decided it would be better if the voice on the other end of the phone carried some Teutonic weight, if you know what I mean...

                    I must say, Theseus' significant other responded like a trooper. I think she said something like, 'just kill Vox already' at some point.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
                      King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
                      ---------
                      May God Bless.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by notyoueither
                        Well... Theseus gave us his number and said that if something important came up that we should call him, no matter what time it was...
                        If someone was dumb enough to give me their number and instructions like that I would called them too. Course I would've called them for lots of other things just to annoy them..........
                        Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 9, 2003, 22:28.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Actually, Ghengis, it was an absolute blast, and I still have all of my contact info posted for the team.

                          My close friends and family know about it, and obviously about my obsession / passion for Civ3, Apolyton, and the DGs, and it's all a subject of much fun (and intellectual pondering and discourse... a new arena, as the psychologists have commented).

                          And my 'significant other' is still not sure about the Voxodus... she is from Alabama originally, and Southerners are known to hold a grudge. (j/k) So remember that, all who choose to battle with GS: besides banana smearing and War Chickens, you've got a Southern Belle mad at you... BACK OFF!!
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

                          Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Theseus
                            Actually, Ghengis, it was an absolute blast, and I still have all of my contact info posted for the team.

                            My close friends and family know about it, and obviously about my obsession / passion for Civ3, Apolyton, and the DGs, and it's all a subject of much fun (and intellectual pondering and discourse... a new arena, as the psychologists have commented).

                            And my 'significant other' is still not sure about the Voxodus... she is from Alabama originally, and Southerners are known to hold a grudge. (j/k) So remember that, all who choose to battle with GS: besides banana smearing and War Chickens, you've got a Southern Belle mad at you... BACK OFF!!
                            Well speaking of significant others .... mine was completely opposed to to the attack on GS. She thought it was backhanded, and treacherous, and un-noble. Of course, she was right.

                            (maybe we should have listened to her...)
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Beta
                              Well speaking of significant others .... mine was completely opposed to to the attack on GS. She thought it was backhanded, and treacherous, and un-noble. Of course, she was right.

                              (maybe we should have listened to her...)
                              Nah...

                              This just goes to show one of the rules for the play of the game Diplomacy (which should apparently apply to Civ3 as well):

                              Never play Diplomacy with anyone you are either in or wish to be in a romantic relationship with

                              "Backhanded, treacherous, and un-noble" actions are standard behavior in cut-throat games of this style - which understandably doesn't mix well with significant others...

                              So as long as you don't treat your s/o the way you treat your "alliance" partners, everything should be cool
                              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by notyoueither
                                Well... Theseus gave us his number and said that if something important came up that we should call him, no matter what time it was...

                                Well, the opportunity came up... hehe. We decided it would be better if the voice on the other end of the phone carried some Teutonic weight, if you know what I mean...

                                I must say, Theseus' significant other responded like a trooper. I think she said something like, 'just kill Vox already' at some point.
                                I called actually from work and for me it was 10am. My vis-a-vis colleague slightly raised his eyebrows, guessing with whom I may talk through my mobile phone in English and about things absolutely not work related. Who the hell is Vox and the Glory, and what the heck is Arashi?

                                Actually, my voice has not much teutonic weight, it's rather soft and must have an outrrrrrrrrrageous accent, because I rarely care about pronouncation.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X