No announcement yet.

Attn: Gathering Storm and Legoland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by DeepO
      GF, you know there are other solutions right? Garlic, crushed tiger bones, bird-nest soup,...

DeepO
      There are no tigers except Togas' Big Scary Cat which we have never found, no garlic, and GodKing refuses to trade us his Exotic Birds luxury.

Comment

If all else fails, you could always put a sac over her head. That is, if she isn't half male down there too

DeepO

Comment

Originally posted by DeepO
          If all else fails, you could always put a sac over her head. That is, if she isn't half male down there too

DeepO

listen to DeepO on this, he would know. Check for small packages.

Comment

hey, this is book-wisdom, not first hand experience!

(I'm far from Chinese, BTW)

DeepO

Comment

obviously, if you weren't I'd be guessing your opinion regarding chinese women would be different.
              badams

Comment

Exotic Birds.

Me? You must be joking. Of course, the plumage of those exotic birds is what must be meant…. But wait one.

In ancient Rome, a delicacy was the lightly fried tongue of flamingo. Kinda hard to take the tongue and not the rest of the bird…

In ancient Persia, they made a pastry out of “[a]n unknown bird, imported from lands beyond…” Clearly an indication that exotic birds were a traded commodity.

In the lands of the Inka, the Sapa Inka was crowned not with what we would consider a crown royal, but of something made with gold wire and decorated with a couple of parrot feathers.

The Aztec nobles wore cloaks made of feathers. Something the conquistadors commented about most profusely.

The nobles of Western Europe through the dark ages imported many exotic birds, at first to provide a splash of colour, as the feathers even in death rarely faded even after years. Then birds were brought in to make exotic dishes. Check the menus of Louis the IX (IIRC) and you will see many interesting recipes. Menageries of birds were almost common among the nobility up until Victorian times.

A popular sport among the wealthy was bird hunting – duck, pheasant, grouse, etc. Sure, you might consider some of these birds common, but not everybody has seen a duck, nor of the many species that are out there, many of which are brightly coloured.

So, if you want some birds, I am more than happy to trade them. Just ignore that bit of ectoplasm on the feathers….. Of course, the price is going to be relatively good also – just destroy a total of 6 population points of ND cities, 2 or 3 cities is all. A bargain for the deal. I would shake on it, but being dead and all it is not like you can actually touch my hand.

Ghost of GK
                If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Originally posted by GodKing
                  The Aztec nobles wore cloaks made of feathers. Something the conquistadors commented about most profusely.
                  A little bit off topic, but still kind of strange... the bird Aztecs worshipped most were chickens, and indeed the conquistadores commented in great detail about them. Not because they were so exotic, but because the black chickens used in many rituals (eating them was considered blasphemy) were so common... everything else was very exotic. Which of course made them stand out.

Only a few years ago, it became common knowledge where these chickens came from: a Chinese armada had imported them in 1421, years before the first Europeans 'discovered' America.

So we have chickens being imported by Chinese, 'discovered' by conquistadores, and now the Chinese are asking them back?

DeepO

Comment

Lol, noone seriously beleives that the America's were 'discovered' so late. In fact the native Americans would have found it many years before

Nevertheless, Columbus was the first to widely publicise its existance in Europe and therefore gets the credit...
                    Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Comment

*cough*

DeepO, 1421 is universally reknowned as one of the most untrustworthy history books on the market today. Menzies puts forward his theories with no real tangible evidence to support it. It's rather ridiculous. Take it from a history guy, don't cite 1421...

All my best,
                      History Guy,
                      A History Guy
                      Empire growing,
                      Pleasures flowing,
                      Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

[talk-show host voice & pose]
                        "So, who did discover America? We'll find out after these messages. Don't go away!" *audience applauds*
                        "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                        And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                        Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Ah, I grant you that, History guy... but at least his explanation of events is more plausable then the reports of Atlantis or aliens being responsible for the found maps (e.g. the Pirii Reis map).

He is not the only source, though... there are also more academic sources which basically mention the same things, it's just that Menzies brought it all together in some sort of novel like book. I still like it, even if it may not be the most accurate source

(BTW, where did the chickens came from then? Egypt? )

DeepO

Comment

Originally posted by redstar1
                            Nevertheless, Columbus was the first to widely publicise its existance in Europe and therefore gets the credit...
                            Columbus, the forerunner of Bill Gates, the Hype-master of the Spanish Main.

"The Americas, yeah I discovered them, don't know why they didn't name em after me. Don't know where the people came from, but if you want a piece of the action all you gotta do is sign this licensing agreement........."

Comment

Working...
                            X