Love PtW. Is CivII worth having?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love PtW. Is CivII worth having?
    Now, on-topic. Andemagne raises some respectable points out.

Still, if you want a short answer, it's 'no'. If you see it for €5, and have some extra money, then reconsider

Comment

Get CivII, but only if it's cheap. Merely for the novelty, and also so you have some idea about what everyone's talking about when they complain about lost features.

For me, the only usefullness CivII REALLY brought me was an introduction into the Civ series. Before that I was playing SMAC, then for my B-day my sis gave me CivII (knowing that I was into TBS). I played a bit, though I still preferred SMAC. But I was ecstatic to hear about CivIII. Now that CivIII is out, CivII has lost most of its usefullness to CivIII. But still, if you see it cheap somewhere, get it.
      I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomerehu

You mean the questions about research-advancing? They're easy, if you've played the game.
        No he means its not free, even though it has been abandoned and no longer produced.

civ3 will never replace CivII as long as it cant support proper scenarios and customizability. Theres just too many CivII scenarios for it to be replaced by civ3.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomerehu
          Still, if you want a short answer, it's 'no'. If you see it for €5, and have some extra money, then reconsider
          are you saying that 10€ for Civ2 is too much?
          My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Civ 3 is King in my opinion.

With that said, Civ 2 offers excellent scenarios. I occasionally go back to play them. In fact, as much as I love Civ 3, I think it's a real shame that they didn't implement the scenario capabilities that Civ 2 has.

My favorite Civ 2 scenarios are "The World Of Jules Verne", "Alien Invasion" (both included in Civ 2), "Sub Wars" (a download) and this other one (can't remember the name) that was based off of the Deep Space 9 series (another download). Good stuff!

Comment

This BTW thread I started is still going?
              Must be some strong feelings about the 2 games.
              Here's what happened:
              I got it for a song ('Me and Bobbie McGee', I'm sorry to say), played it a couple of times and have this to say:

I had to do my best to forget about CIII/PtW, but it was, overall, fun, and (surprise!) that's what I want in a game. May never play it again, tho'.

But I will say this (Tolkein fans will understand): CIII is a bit like reading 'Return of the King' before 'Two Towers'--that is figuring CI as 'Fellowship.'

Or maybe not. CIII was my intro to these kind of games. Can you think of a better intro?

(edited glaring grammatical error only. If they don't glare I don't edit)
              "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

are you saying that 10€ for Civ2 is too much?
                ...why...

Yes, if he has Civ3 & PTW

Comment

Why I like civ 2 better
                  Yeah well I love Fundamentalism.
                  why
                  every city can build 10 units before requiring support
                  tithes
                  no corruption
                  no war weariness
                  no be successful min tax rate and max science lol like you need more money with this gov cause with it you are running a Religious, warmongering, Bill Gates government
                  Have many cities and fully develop them
                  With fundementalism bigger is better
                  I could care less about culture and hate being disposed
                  So any highly cultural enemy gets razed. I play as a monarch gov.
                  Ps. Is it possible to warmonger with democracy?
                  When I played the WW2 scenario I would immediately revolt the US into fundamentalism
                  CiV III just adds better graphics and more units like UU and modern Armor. And advantages of one civ to another

Comment

BlueWaldo said:

"CivII is hands down the best game of all time. With that said, CivIII is a better game than CivII. However, it does not come close to replacing CivII as the best game of all time."

My sentiments exactly!

GarP
                    Addicted since early Civ I

Comment

Working...
                    X