Volcanos, Tornados and Airships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volcanos, Tornados and Airships

I've noticed there's no climate or natural disasters.
    Volcanos for example:
    It can be like a barbarian hut (with the correct grafics) and an special stealth worker that produces lava (at cost of its life, to have control of the amount of lava flow). Is it possible?

Tornados:
    I suposse its more simple; another "barbarian" hut (invisible) that produces tornado units. They must have an very high attack value and 0 defense (and gets destroyed after combat? like a nuke?). But while in the invisible hut it must not be visible too, because you will only have to atack them before they put in movement, to knock them out. mmm ... some ideas?

Hurricanes:
    the same but with a naval unit?

Airships:
    Please! an eye in the sky! we need this.
    evolving of course; from tiny balloons to Hindemburg size vessels. In modern times it may become a sattelite.
    Did some one can work on the grafics?
    "A man is an animal with questions,
    a God is a man with answers"

me.

Try the Double Your Pleasure mod - it has balloons and airships. Pretty cool addition.
    "Got the rock from Detroit, soul from Motown"
    - Kid Rock "American Badass"

Comment

Try the Double Your Pleasure mod - it has balloons and airships. Pretty cool addition.
      "Got the rock from Detroit, soul from Motown"
      - Kid Rock "American Badass"

Comment

jontar, you have inspired me to play with natural disasters of another sort. I have given luxury resources a Disappearance factor (half 200, half 400).

I found that Bonus Resources (e.g., Cattle, Gold) cannot have Disappearance factors, so I changed them to Strategic Resources and gave them values also (Gold 200, others 400). Don't know yet if this will work.

Comment

Jaybe...

Let me know how that goes. I kinda like the sound of that. Could make for an interesting game.

BigD
          Holy Cow!!! BigDork's Back!

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?

Comment

... I've just think about something.
            If i'm right, The AI know where all resource is in the beginning of the game...

So, does AI know when Resource will disappeare and where they reappear...

Another question: When One resource of iron is disappearing, is it another somewhere elses are reappearing??

Merci,
            bleh

Comment

I don't think natural disasters need to be in the game as units . After all, what tornado, hurricane or volcanic eruption lasts a year? That is the shortest amount of time passage per turn- without modification.
              However, in Civ2, you could place these into the game as events . You could have a volcanic eruption, tell the AI to change several squares around the volcano to a different terrain, even lava ( which I found on a mod, maybe the Mars scenario). You could even obliterate islands or create new ones. I had one scenario where an entire contient was torn in half. I had another one where desert occupied the interior of the pangaea, and every few hundred years, I programmed an event to expand the desert until it occupied every single square on the island! (My "whispering shifting sands" scenario- winnable only if you had terraformed some desert squares at some point!) A better Civ3 scenario editor is what is needed to bring more climate and geology into the game!
              My words are backed by... Hey! Who stole my uranium??!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quasar1011
                I don't think natural disasters need to be in the game as units . After all, what tornado, hurricane or volcanic eruption lasts a year? That is the shortest amount of time passage per turn- without modification.
                True, but there are hurricane seasons, and we're all aware -- from the news if not personally -- how devastating these can be, certainly effecting an area's productivity etc. for a year.

-Oz
                ... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...

Comment

I lived on Guam - which is an island in a region where we often have typhoons - 4 years ago. I've seen what powerful typhoons can do. A strong enough typhoon could easily paralyze the economy for a while. Typhoons also are extremely destructive to infrastructure. In Typhoon Omar (1992), we were without electricity and water for a month and in Supertyphoon Paka (1997), it was a quarter of a year. It took the island a full year to recover and our economy in Paka was damaged severely because of the extensive damage on infrastructure. Even several of our newest power plants were destroyed in the storm.
                  "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
                  but when there has been naming
                  we should also know when to stop.
                  Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

Originally posted by MotownDennis
                    IT DOES?

Dang it...I though I was on to something with with what I'm working on...
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDork
                      Jaybe...

Let me know how that goes. I kinda like the sound of that. Could make for an interesting game.

BigD
                      Still playing a previous game at this point. It's going to be another week or two before I start a new one, and they last 2-4 weeks (standard maps are small for me, though I will probably test it on one).

Comment

Just one more thing in which SMAC was superior...

If i remember, there were natural disasters in Civ1, an earthquake would randomly strike and destroy one of your improvements.
                        A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by Master Zen
                          Just one more thing in which SMAC was superior...

If i remember, there were natural disasters in Civ1, an earthquake would randomly strike and destroy one of your improvements.
                          Indeed -- volcanoes for cities next to mountains IIRC -- and the scripting language in Civ II was used, at least once in a fine scenario, to have Atlantis actually sink ...

*sigh*

-Oz
                          ... And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away ...

Comment

Re: giving bonus resources disappearance factors

I found that Bonus Resources (e.g., Cattle, Gold) cannot have Disappearance factors, so I changed them to Strategic Resources and gave them values also (Gold 200, others 400). Don't know yet if this will work.
                            Bigdork,
                            Downside of all these extra Strategic Resources is that they all show up in your Strat. Resource list box.

Just started a Std.-map game with disappearing resources this evening and none have moved on me yet. I am not using debug.

Comment

Update on changing Bonus Resources so they can move

It basically doesn't work.

"This source of Furs has been expended" results in losing the Furs in the luxury box, but the Furs graphic & its tile bonus (food/gold) remain. Not the effect I had in mind.

Also, it is possible that there are some bug ramifications involved. The furs was worth 2 happies, but now my cities have variable happies (5-7), though my having been at war a few turns may account for something. My 7 pop cities have 5 happies, 9-10 pop cities have 6, and my 11-12 pop cities have 7 happies. Playing Rome, luxury setting at zero.

EDIT: Fuzzybrain syndrome. Furs are not (originally) a Bonus Resource. Can't wait to see what happens when one of THEM move on me!

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Oh Scrap! I had TWO furs; 1 expired on me and it I lost the furs in my luxury list in my cities. Later my second furs also expired on me and I had to trade to get some.

Not much fun to see bonus resources as potential trade goods. No one wants wheat or cows for trade.
                              Last edited by Jaybe; March 17, 2003, 03:21.

Comment

Working...
                              X