City limits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City limits...

Hi folks, first post here; if this is in a FAQ I apologize, but I couldn't seem to locate it.

Play the World game, 16 civs, 256x256 map.

Two big continents. 1860's. I found it curious that the western continent was still largely unsettled. I sent over some settlers.

"Too many cities"

What is the limit, and is it hardcoded? Is there somewhere to uncap it?

I know the civ team traditionally seems to LOVE hardcoded limits on their games; but its not as though my machine can't handle it. There has to be approximately 500 cities on the map as it is, (I would imagine the limit is then 512 or 640) and there isn't too much slowdown. Between this and learning that there is a hard limit on units I am getting a bit disappointed.

The question is, how are you supposed to conquer new cities now?
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Unless I need to make a resource grab, I like to let the world fill out before going after my neighbors.

Besides, on a planet this big, established road/railroad networks are a must before starting any action.

Comment

I *think* the city limit is 512, and as far as I know it's not uncappable.
        Friedrich Psitalon
        Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
        Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

The Limit is 512 and it IS hardcoded
          * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
          * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
          * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
          * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

You're playing this game during your work hours in a NASA supercomputer, aren't you?
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Comment

Dual Athlon MP1800+ w/ 2Gb RAM.

Seriously though, one should not need a computer like that to play a game like this.

Comment

Well, there is a lot going on. In particular, the shortest path finder seems to be the culprit for slow down. Every time something changes that effects this portions need to be recalculated.
                  Seemingly Benign
                  Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

512 / 16 Civ's = 32 Cities for each Civ.

4096 / 16 Civ's = 256 units for each Civ.

256 / 32 = 8 units for each City.

unless some Civ's have more or less.

How many Cities and Units should the game have?

Totally that is??

Maybe a further patch will have a higher limit, although its only a model of a reality of the real Civilization, and anything else might be to be considered as Government Work!

Comment

It should, ideally, be proportional to the largest map size, if limited at all.

Comment

They NEED to fix this!

What is the point of playing on a gigantic map?!
                        I know it's not a big deal to MP.
                        I know it's not a big deal for slower computers.

But it is a BIG DEAL to people with faster computers!

I wish I saw this thread before wasting 10 hours on a 300x300 map.

I can envision this already: Come late industrial age, I'll have to raze an AI city on continent A to build a city on continent B!

Or if I want my next city to connect to the rest of my cities (you know, naturally placed....), I'll have to go raze an AI city on the other side of the continent!

Stupid.
                        sum dum guy

Comment

Raion,
                          Where did you get your stats?

Flash
                          Flash
                          Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
                          the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

I would say it is sad, but not stupid. They may have many reasons, but undoubtably one is the impact of all the cities, if they allowed say 1024. If one harbor was destroyed, it would be a very painful calculation to check on all the trades, etc.
                            Sure makes rexing paramount. I could see making as many cities as possible very close. This will hit the limit sooner and no one can make a new city, until one is razed.

Comment

My scenario, uses a 362 x 320 map of earth.
                              But I'll deal with the limitations and maximums
                              I would love having over 4096 units, but I'll make due until the release a patch. can u imagine the support for 4000 troops?
                              Flash
                              Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
                              the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

Working...
                              X