This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAMESPY Matchmaking Clarification

Some clarifying words here from the Developer Relations Manager at GameSpy (that's me):

'Uninstalling GameSpy (Arcade)' will not affect your game performance. For one, having it installed while you're doing all your matchmaking using the in-game system couldn't affect your performance, since it's not running. More to this later on.

Plenty of other games use Arcade for matchmaking, including TBS games like Moonbase Commander, Heroes of Might & Magic IV. Telling people to uninstall it would be extremely ill advised, especially since it is not the root of the problem here.

Even if your game is launched by GameSpy Arcade because you chose to browser for games with it, Arcade will use next to no extra bandwidth while minimized. This is documented here:

Additionally, if you're using the in-game matchmaking system (accessable via the 'Multipayer' menu item), you're still using GameSpy tech as a matchmaking solution BTW. Infogrames and Firaxis have licensed our tech to allow you to find opponents in-game without needing to run an external matchmaking application.

So why's the game so slow then, you say? PTW currently sends more traffic than it should when performing in-game GameSpy matchmaking. It's a known issue by Firaxis and GameSpy, we've isolated the problem and Firaxis will be fixing this in the next patch.

GameSpy Arcade also doesn't install any spyware products. All software bundles are specifically prompted for. If you installed it straight off of the CD, you're getting a version that is clean of any third party software bundles.

What is GameSpy Arcade there for then, if the game features an in-game matchmaking lobby? As some have mentioned in the forums, it's a convenient way of seeing activity in the lobbies, will not having the game running full screen. You can idle and do other work elsewhere on your desktop. If people decide they want to use the in-game solution solely, more power to them. Just remember you're still using GameSpy technology as implemented by the developer
    Developer Relations Manager
    GameSpy Industries
    http://www.gamespy.net

Good to hear that the problems are being worked on.

Comment

I agree. If you do not have GameSpy running, how could it effect launching games?

I also applaud the news that the issues have been identified and are being fixed.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The only issue I have with gamespy is the memory, I can't have both run or I will have color issues but that is all on my end of it.
        GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

How much memory is on the rig?

Comment

Mine? 364 MB
            GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

364 MB memory, and you have memory problems?!?! Man, that GameSpy program must be bad programmed or something... I'm glad I have 512 MB!
              Last edited by Nikolai; November 7, 2002, 10:05.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

jschuur, Thanks for the input

This confirms a post (I cant remember exactly where) that said essentially the same thing. The MP slowness problems are not due to gamespy, its a problem with the game itself and directIP hosting (that many people asked for) wont help.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Gamespy sucks, use all seeing eye instead. No crap ads, slow memory hog software etc. You can donate if you want to, and with the approach the all seeing eye has taken, i am more likely to give them my money.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                    364 MB memory, and you have memory problems?!?! Man, that GameSpy program must be bad programmed or something... I'm glad I have 512 MB!
                    It is more CIv3x that is the memory hog, but running anything in the backround will cause for "team" color loss.
                    GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

364 MB and your having problems?
                      Do you have a lot of programs running in the background? You should check msconfig (typed in the "run" box) and under Startups deselect whatever you don't want. Check here for a list of what most of those things are, and whether you need them.
                      I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Re: GameSpy Matchmaking Clarification

Originally posted by jschuur
                        ...if you're using the in-game matchmaking system (accessable via the 'Multipayer' menu item)...
                        Freudian slip perhaps?
                        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Re: Re: GameSpy Matchmaking Clarification

Originally posted by Maquiladora

Freudian slip perhaps?
                          That is rich.

Or should I say, HE is rich?

Comment

I did just read gamespy's staement, and I am a bit saddened, they replied to a thread I started at CFC, and yet, it appears they did not even take the time to read what I had posted.

In fact, my intelligence was insulted, as he went on to address how gamespy does not contribute to lag, (which I had already clearly clarified thaT UNINSTALLING IT WOULD NOT HELP lag issues) but did not address the fact that two different programs being used for the same game in the matchmaking process could be having problems, (even though thte techs are the same, something I also already aknowledged...... if he would have read the first post of the thread before he replied

then he went on to say that arcade and the Civ 3 PTW lobby use the same tech, not the same program

It seems to be inattentive damage control.

Additionally, if you're using the in-game matchmaking system (accessable via the 'Multipayer' menu item), you're still using GameSpy tech as a matchmaking solution BTW. Infogrames and Firaxis have licensed our tech to allow you to find opponents in-game without needing to run an external matchmaking application.
                            So does that mean that these two programs are going to function with eachother flawlessly? Is there a chance that the two lobbies could be conflicting?

BTW the problem should be fixed in 1.05 patch, so I hear.
                            Last edited by NeOmega; November 9, 2002, 04:37.
                            Pentagenesis for Civ III
                            Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                            Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Thats the problem with gamespy, they have been pulled down the buisness route, and lost touch with ordinary gamers.

Like they are going to ever listen to what you and I say .... but its their problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X