Civ3:PTW Installation Sequence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3:PTW Installation Sequence

OK Ok ... lol ... so I haven't been around in a while ... but I just bought my copy of PTW last night at CompuSmart (would you believe the downtown Montreal Future Shop didn't have it ???) ...

Anyhow ... my first question is ... does PTW include all prior Civ3 patches ???

I've been running the CD version of Civ3 for some time now (due to reinstalling windows too many times to bother with finding the patches)

So anyhow ... is the order

A-

1. Install Civ 3
    2. Install Latest Civ3 Patch
    3. Install Civ3:PTW
    4. Install Latest Civ3:PTW Patch

or

B-

1. Install Civ 3
    2. Install Civ3:PTW
    3. Install Latest Civ3:PTW Patch

PS ... I'm sure this is answered somewhere but I could find it I'm sorry to say !!! lol

I also have a question on firewall ports ... but seening as it is a very seperate question, I'll open a new topic !!!

oh yeah ... I also wouldn't mind a link to any thread or page that lists all the patches to date (including regular Civ3 patches) ... does anyone know where I can find that list ???

Comment

I think installation sequence B is correct, but lets get a second opinion....

Comment

dont have ptw but i guest it's B
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I hope not as I did A and seem ok so far. Well actually the first 2 steps were done before I got PTW. I just dropped the cd in and installed. I then put the patch on and played. I suspect both are fine as PTW is in a seperate folder. If you want to play std civ3, you would want to have the patch for it on, I would think.

Comment

I did the second.
            But cannot play multiplayer games...

Comment

B is correct. PTW should patch Civ3 to 1.29.

A will work too, it should not be required though.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                B is correct. PTW should patch Civ3 to 1.29.

A will work too, it should not be required though.
                I am not buying that as my executable for std civ has not been changed and PTW is in its own folder. Unless they checked to see it already has been patch and ignored it if so (not impossible, but unlikely). So it could be that your std civ3 exe will saty as it was, what ever version. If you will always use the PTW exe then no problems. I loaded a 129f save with PTW and it had some of the changed tech in the tree, so I am not sure what may be affected. I did not play it only looked.

Comment

vmxa1:

Sorry, but I think you are mistaken - if the filedate of your original Civ3.exe is 28 june 2002, it's the 1.29f version.

If that's not the filedate of your Civ3.exe after installing PtW too, you've done something wrong in the install process.

It doesn't check to see if you already have installed Patch 1.29f as such, it just overwrites your regular Civ3 directory with Patch 1.29f files

As for installation procedure in general, you are forgetting some very important steps:

- 3. Backup all files you want to keep from your regular Civ3 install (mods, savegames, etc)
                  - 2. Uninstall all Civ3 Patches (from Add/Remove Programs in the control panel)
                  - 1. Uninstall Civ3
                  0. Delete the Civilization III folder manually.
                  1. Install Civ3
                  2. Install PtW
                  3. Install Patch 1.04f

Doing that will keep you bugfree a lot longer.
                  Double Your Pleasure mod | DYP Forums | DYP Mod thread

Comment

Thanks for the help guys ... I also got help in the chat too .. .thanks again !!!

So ... on for my 2nd issue ... does anyone know where I can find a list of all Civ3 patches ???

Also ... here's a new question ... once new patches are installed ... are old saved games playable ???

If so ... are they played with the pre-patch parameters you had with the version of Civ3 when you started the game (in my case, the first version that came on the CD itself) ... or do the game parameters (rules and tweeks etc) change the first time you load up your game after installing a patch ???

The main reason I never installed patches, was to not corrupt games I had saved that I wanted to play later.

Also ... a very similar question ... even if older games ARE playable after a patch is installed ... will older Civ3 games (regardless of patch number) be playable under Civ3:PTW ... and if so ... what happens to games in progress ??? Do they get access to the new units, improvements and wonder ??? Or will the game proceed as it did under Civ3 without PTW installed ???

Once again ... thanks to all who reply !!!

Comment

Research how bic's and bix's work.

The saved game (wait, maybe they started doing this after a certain patch? -- darn my memory) stores the bic/x used to start it. The rules et al are stored in the bic/x and thus they are stored in your sav. You can figure that changes to the engine would effect you, but tweaks and rule changes to the default bic/x wouldn't.

Comment

IIRC there was a patch that broke the compatility. 129f will work with PTW. The readme for 129f will say if it did occur and with what patch as it has the history of all fixes.

Comment

i have civ3, 1.29f patch, PTW, and the 1.04 patch....

i need to know the exact sequence step by step for installation, so far i can't seem to make it all work?

plz advise
                          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

See my post above
                            Double Your Pleasure mod | DYP Forums | DYP Mod thread

Comment

I did it this way:
                              Civ3
                              129f
                              Ptw
                              104F

Comment

Working...
                              X