No announcement yet.

PTW Patch 1.04f!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You explained that the game production cycle is longer than patch discovery and solving...
    it's called "support of a company that respects itself and it's customers"

Mike, longer fixes explanations next time
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

PTW and patch 1.29

I have civ 3 installed and plan to install PTW tomorrow. The 1.29 patch and for that matter no patch have been installed because I just put the Civ 3 on a new computer. My question is do I need to download the 1.29 patch or does PTW have it included?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS

Sigh.
        You guys read way too much into this. At one point, with both Mass Regicide and Regicide enabled, if you lost a king on the first turn of the game, you got the popup saying "Congratulations! You've Won" and then the game crashed. It's not nearly as dumb as the readme makes it sound.
        Sheesh!
        Funny comment. Programmers are often unable to write coherently. They can create complicated code (not flawlessly but pretty good), however, most could not write a competent business letter. Firaxis is one of the worst companies for Readme files. You almost NEVER know what the hell they are talking about until you play and find out for yourselves.

Comment

PTW includes 1.29 for the original Civ3, or so I've heard.

BTW, yes I did play one to the bitter end while testing. So there Uber, you can sleep well knowing 'your' testers are doing their jobs.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel
            pity that half the things the twenty odd testers brought up were either their problems caused by tjheir own ignorance(RTFM), questioning the unit data or were their suggestions for improvements. still they caught a lot of things we'd not have found otherwise.
            Hmm.... no comment.
            Mike Breitkreutz
            Programmer
            FIRAXIS Games

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              Mike, longer fixes explanations next time
              Agreed.
              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick

Funny comment. Programmers are often unable to write coherently. They can create complicated code (not flawlessly but pretty good), however, most could not write a competent business letter. Firaxis is one of the worst companies for Readme files. You almost NEVER know what the hell they are talking about until you play and find out for yourselves.
                We (programmers) do not write the readme files...

However, the readme files are created from programmer code updates that are written for programmers, by programmers. I keep telling the producers that the contents of the readme shouldn't be taken verbatim from our code updates but I think that's just their way of trying to tell us to be more descriptive (so they don't have to write as much).

If I was more concerned about what was in the readme, I'd make them far more descriptive (but then I wouldn't have as much time to make updates for the readme....).
                Last edited by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS; October 30, 2002, 21:01.
                Mike Breitkreutz
                Programmer
                FIRAXIS Games

Comment

pity that half the things the twenty odd testers brought up were either their problems caused by tjheir own ignorance(RTFM), questioning the unit data or were their suggestions for improvements. still they caught a lot of things we'd not have found otherwise.

Mike Beer
                  Hmm.... no comment.

That's not how things were at all, we never dared question your impeccable unit data.
                  http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh really? Sometimes it seemed a bit like a game design group, rather than a play testers group.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Amadan

Will never visit GameSpy, as Multiplayer is something I will not use.
                      Your loss...
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

We (programmers) do not write the readme files...

However, the readme files are created from programmer code updates that are written for programmers, by programmers. I keep telling the producers that the contents of the readme shouldn't be taken verbatim from our code updates but I think that's just their way of trying to tell us to be more descriptive (so they don't have to write as much).

If I was more concerned about what was in the readme, I'd make them far more descriptive (but then I wouldn't have as much time to make updates for the readme....).
                        Oh, it sounds even more disfunctional than I thought.

The programers can't write in anything but programmer speak, which the producers can't read. So what we get is like a Greek translation of Hebrew produced by the Chinese.

Comment

Hmm.... no comment.
                          not that there were any bugs in my code natch!

the worst/most comical time was when the only functioning water cooler in the office was in the testing room and you had to sneak in past the testers to get a drink. one of my colleagues would disappear for half a day at a time when they'd catch him cup in hand.

Comment

I previously said that I wouldnt buy PtW on its release date, because my disgruntlement with some aspects of CIV3. Over the last few days though, the excitement has built up and I've been wondering whether I should pick up PtW anyway.

Lo and behold I look at the forums and PtW is out! AND NEEDS A PATCH.

I'll wait. I can be patient
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

SOSDD I see...

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

As you like, sir: here in Italy we had few weeks ago some thousand cars (an old model) recalled to the factory - the assistance points - to have a free repair of an old problem that can cause trouble to the passenger. Some years ago, my TV was inspected and a component replaced free because the manufactured discovered it was defective...
                              Hrm, and here I thought that's what the FREE PATCHES were for, to fix a problem that had been discovered??

Unlike a car, which can be taken in to any number of local auto repair shops, it's a little harder to compile master code and burn a new CD when the distribution centers are few and far between...

And for all those who complain about a patch right out of the gate, Blizzard does it all the time and tet I still hear how great their games are, so what's the problem now? A last minute patch means they kept working to find and correct bugs even after the code was "locked" to be sent to the duplication center.

Comment

The Problem Now Is...

....That much of the game is still unplayable. That is a huge problem. Every single attempt at joining a game online causes it to crash and I can never see more than 3 games when searching for them. From my understanding this is a common problem. This is, of course, after installing the patch.

Comment

Working...
                                X