things i dont use in "civ3" that can be changed/modified in "ptw"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay a simple one, catapults.

They are useless on attack (really). On defense though, they are great (in their era, of course). Put a couple in an important city and it will knock those hit points off, blunting the attack.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Colonies would be more useful if more terrain were restricted from city building (particularly desert and tundra). This will be possible in the new editor, and I for one cannot wait. As for the other stuff:

-fortresses - agree.
      -costal fortresses - agree.

units:
      -Scout - agree.
      -Explorer - agree.
      -catapult - good for defense, or offense if six or so are grouped together.
      -Privateer - agree.
      -Cannon - same as catapult, only more so.
      -Helicopter - agree.
      -Stealth Fighter - agree.
      -Cruise Missile - I modded the hell out of this and now wouldn't live without them.

Intelligence-
      -Steal World Map - agree.
      -Expose Enemy Spy - agree.
      -Steal Plans - I've actually begun using this to help plan my attacks. It's nice to know exactly where everything is that you are up against.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I think out of city improvements, Coastal Fortresses and SAM Batteries are the most pointless (has anyone actually ever seen them work?)

Units:

-Scout - I like these - allows to get lots of goody huts early on, and locate resources early on - effective use of scouts can drastically affect the course of the game

-Explorer - these are useless, I never used them for pillaging, because I would rather built Cavalry than Explorers

-Armies - rarely use them most of the time, only if I get a leader and there no wonders to be built, and no wonders will be available in the next 10 turns, then I might create an army

-Catapults and Cannons - good for long sieges of enemy cities, if a number of them is used at a time

-Privateer - with its current stats it is not able to sink any enemy shipping, so I never build these in default games (in my current game I made them stronger, so maybe I will use them more)

-Helicopter - I hardly ever use the airdropping feature (although it did come in useful once when my offensive force failed to capture an enemy city, so I airdropped a few infantry units using helicopters). I find it useful that they can rebase to any city while carrying units - useful for reinforcing remote cities without airports. I modded Helicopters so that they carry 2 foot units and have 2 movements and now they are really useful!

-Stealth Fighter - never used it with default values, but now I modded it to give it a greater bombardment strength, so now it is much more useful. I laso increased bombardment of Stealth Bombers and Jet Fighters.

-Cruise Missiles - as soon as I got the game, I increased range to 6 and now I allowed nuclear subs to carry cruise missiles, so now they are extremely useful.

-AEGIS cruiser - I find that the default stats make it too weak to be of any use, so I modded it so that it is a good modern replacement for the battleship.

Out of intelligence mission I agree that exposing enemy spies and stealing world maps are pointless. I do like however stealing enemy plans when planning offensive operations.

Comment

Re: things i rarely use in "civ3" maybe change/modify needed in "ptw&

Originally posted by m_m_x
          terrain feature:
          -colonies
          -fortresses
          -costal fortresses

units:
          -Scout
          -Explorer
          -catapult
          -Privateer
          -Cannon
          -Helicopter
          -Stealth Fighter
          -Cruise Missile

Intelligence-
          -Steal World Map
          -Expose Enemy Spy
          -Steal Plans
          hi ,

okay , you dont use them , but a lot of oter people do ,
          it does not mean that you dont use them that they should be removed , however if you dont use them , why dont make some thing usefull out of it yourself , example , give the explorer a 2 defense value , and let him patrol outside areas , ...and so on , ..

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by LordAzreal

Well, assuming that you can, why is that a problem?

th problem is that if everyone has an edited game, MP will be a radical change.

all players in a MP game will need the same bic. ideally, there should be a "standard" bic for everyone to use that makes everyone happy.

if you're used to your corruption levels, your policies on lethal bombardment, and you join a game with totally different settings, you'll be in a world you know nothign about.

perhaps there should be several "offical apolyton match" bic files?
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

th problem is that if everyone has an edited game, MP will be a radical change.

all players in a MP game will need the same bic. ideally, there should be a "standard" bic for everyone to use that makes everyone happy.

if you're used to your corruption levels, your policies on lethal bombardment, and you join a game with totally different settings, you'll be in a world you know nothign about.

perhaps there should be several "offical apolyton match" bic files?
              hi ,

okay , that might work , but then again , we shall have so many , ....

maybe we should get a D-base , and one can look into it before he or she play's , and accept's it .

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
              X