New Unit: Droid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Unit: Droid

Well it looks like there will be some new units (other than UUs) in Play the World and I have an idea for what I think is a good one:

A droid unit with similar A/D/M to infantry but with the bonus of having no effect on war weariness. Obviously, we don't want a panacea weapon that would allow unfettered warmongering under democracy which is why the unit should be defensive. Such a weapon would allow you to: hold your borders, establish a presence in enemy territory, pillage enemy infastructure, disrupt resource/luxury supply, and kidnap workers. Also, the AI would naturally engage the droids thereby giving us the opportunity to exact an attrition cost on the enemy army.

Much of the war weariness in Civ3 comes from having your troops in enemy territory. It seems logical that your citizens would be less concerned about your droids conducting "police operations" in enemy territory than they would be about seeing flag draped coffins come home. It's also logical that the droids be defensive as I am willing to argue that the first robot warriors will be better defenders than attacks - defense is usually easier: Hold a position, when see enemy, destroy enemy.

Interstingly, the droid would probably be quite compatible with Vel's "defend your enemy to death" strat. Advance a line of droids into enemy territory, killing enemy attackers as they come. Continue to move your "line of control" forward (without taking the enemy cities, as this requires offensive units). When you have "seized" the territory you require move in the attackers, take enemy cities, and force the AI to pay for peace.

I imagine the droid could be better than infantry but not as good as mech infantry (there has to be an advantage to having men on the ground).

A/D/M: 8-10-1
    requires: robotics
    cost: 120
    resources: oil, rubber, aluminum

Seeing how Civ3 only goes to the modern age I don't see this happening.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I think Firaxis have already decided on the new generic units: a guerilla unit (possibly a land-based hidden nationality) and some sort of medievil infantry.
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        Seeing how Civ3 only goes to the modern age I don't see this happening.
        We've got spaceships going to Alpha Centauri, why not robotroops?

Comment

Wait till you see Godzilla tromping on cities.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'd want a mech before a droid.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Baout the medieval infatry : I think it's a way to bring the swordsman back in the upgrade path. If true, this is great news ! at last, the standard rules won't show any more swordsmen in the ancient age !
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Sounds too sci-fi for me.

Comment

If we had mechs, this could be France's new unique unit:
                  Attached Files
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
                    I think Firaxis have already decided on the new generic units: a guerilla unit (possibly a land-based hidden nationality) and some sort of medievil infantry.
                    The way I read their comment, these were examples of some of the new non-unique units being added. There will most likely be more than just those two.

As for Droids, no.
                    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by DrFell
                      Sounds too sci-fi for me.
                      Perhaps, but if the new editor is as promising as it seems this idea would do well in a scenario, I suppose we will have to see what features it is possible to take advantage of in the update.

As for the unit being implemented into the actual game, I honestly doubt that happening, although I like the idea and it does have potential.

Comment

Too sci-fi? The first instance of humans surrendering to a machine occured during the Gulf War. We will probably see automated combatants well before we even have manned ships going to the outer solar system. Anyway thats just speculation.

Nice concept but I don't feel it fits into the game? Can't say why though.

Anyone know what happened to that really good mech animation that was posted a while back? Is that available for download somewhere?

Comment

Mikel: Could you please tell us more about that gulf war example? What kind of machine was it?

Comment

It was a plane.

I can't see 'driods' being used in the timescale represented in civ3, even if only for the fact that they'd be much more expensive than human combatants.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                              If we had mechs, this could be France's new unique unit:
                              If they add Mechs (would come with robotics), they should be BattleTech mechs, & not those horrible, horrible Gundums!
                              Know your enemies!
                              "Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!" ~ Dr. Strangelove

Comment

Working...
                              X