Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Firaxis can fix the two Civ traits everyone hates- Expansionist and Commercial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Firaxis can fix the two Civ traits everyone hates- Expansionist and Commercial

Four of the six civ traits are mostly well liked, you may see an occasional bad post about Militaristic, or maybe someone who doesn't like scientific every once in a while. But compared to these four, there are two civ traits that *MUCH* more complained about. These two are Expansionist and Commerical. In the thread that follows I will explain the case against them for any would-be Firaxis readers and exactly how they can be fixed in a balancing way.

Expansionist-
    Why we don't like it- First and foremost, there is absolultely nothing to look forward to beyond the first ten or twenty turns. This goes beyond not being a very good trait, but it's absolutely no fun at all. You have no idea how depressing it is to know that once the first few turns are over, you have one civ trait that will contribute absolutely nothing to your cause. Secondly, the benefits that it offers aren't nearly as good as the others. The fact that you *MIGHT* get a few ancient level techs if you happen to be close to a few goodie huts is hardly ever as good as the benefits of say cheap temples or faster workers. So even if you do happen to have a little bit of good luck, 99.9% of the time the benefits you get are very slim compared to other civs. Moreover, if you are lucky enough to find horseback riding in some goodie hut, everyone knows ancient level techs are the easiest thing in the world to trade for anyway, so this is doubly damning to any conceivable benefits to being an expansionist civ. And yes, you do get to explore the map a little bit earlier, and maybe gain a shield or two of production from a couple of your cities because you were able to place your cities in more strategically sound locations, due to scouts. But that is about the only thing Expansionist civs have going for them. So we have already established that being an expansionist civ is without question much less "fun" than any other trait, is arguably much less "effective" than other trait, the fact that it's entire success is based on pure luck is something that just shouldnt' be in a Civ game. The fact that expansionist civs recieve absolutely ANY benefit at all relies on map settings being set a certain way is just ludicrus. As I see it, If Expansionist civs aren't retooled, there is going to exist a game-balance hole big enough for a mack truck to drive through.

How to fix it: There are a number of novel ways for expansionist civs to be effectively retooled. I like Apolyton user Nationalists' suggestion to make it less likely for cities conquered by expansionist civs to culture-flip. Thus, effectively allowing them to "expand" more easily. Given some player's annoyance to Culture-flips, this would make them much more attractive. It would simply have to be a resistance to culture-flipping large enough to be noticeable, but small enough to not be game-balancing. If you could simply do this, expansionist civs would see their stock rise greatly.

Commerical-
    Why we hate it- I don't really have any particular outspoken feelings regarding the commerical trait. It's just that, well, it just doesn't do much. It is said to reduce your corruption in theory but in practice all it does is increase your optimal number of cities by one (read: it does nothing). Poster Alexman's study has proved it does next to nothing for corruption. So beyond that it offers a little bit of extra income in your major cities, which is helpful but isn't really a huge deal. And aside from that, it does nothing! It doesn't even lower the cost of commerical-oriented city improvements. Which leads us to our next point.
    How to fix it- Simply raise the ammount that it lowers corruption by, raise it maybe to be about equal to the ammount that a courthouse lowers. And then just allow commericial civs to have cheaper marketplaces and banks. That's it. That's all you need to do.

I hope Firaxis takes this into serious consideration, and I urge players who agree to vote yes, in the poll at the top, that these civ traits to need to be improved in order to be taken seriously in multiplayer competition. These traits are at the heart of every civ, and if not improved will create a huge balance issue.
    Yes
    59.62%
    No
    25.00%
    Undecided
    15.38%
    Last edited by monkspider; June 6, 2002, 04:09.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Today:

Expansionist
    Russia,America,Zululand,Iroquois,England
    Free scout & can build scouts
    Passive barbarians more generous
    (problem with unbalanced free money and techs from GH)

Commercial
    Rome,Greece,France,India,England
    1 more gold from city tile in pop 7+ cities
    Lower corruption

1st has role 'Trader' civ
    2nd has role 'Imperial'

Proposal:

'Trader'
    1 more gold from city tile in pop 7+ cities
    Passive barbarians more generous

'Imperial'
    +1 Settler from beginning
    +50(100)% optimal number of cities

Scouts prerequisite are Map Making and allowed for all civs
    with move=1 and Hidden Nationality

5 gold from Barbarian Camps
    10 gold from Goody Hut and decriesed chance for Advances

Need decrriesing cost of Currency
    CiviPort

Comment

undecided, because i think only commercial needs improvement...ok, maybe expansionist could have a bit of tweaking, but if the map is not an archipelago, it can be very good.

Comment

Missed:

Commerical- Best chance of getting first republic.
        Expanist- With scout you can quickly find other civs and bulid cities to block them from getting much more cities.

Comment

Monkspider, is that confirmed that it only raise optimal cities by 1? I've been playing with commercial civs lately, and thought I could see a noticeable reduction in corruption. But maybe that was across the board...
          I think commercial civs should get cheaper marketplaces (needed because it's actually a rather expensive improvement) and either cheaper banks or cheaper harbors - I can't decide which. No big deal either way though.

Also, a good suggestion for expansionist civs was that their galleys and caravels have a lower chance of sinking in deep water (and in my view, all others' boats should have a higher chance of sinking). They could more easily claim islands, contact other civs, etc. Thus their benefits could potentially extend all the way until Navigation.

Comment

Well I think expansionist trait will be good in MP as you'll be able to locate your opponents much earlier and they won't all be stupid enough to share maps with you

But if you really want to make it a killer give scouts a 1 defence.
            Last edited by DrFell; June 6, 2002, 14:22.

Comment

Hm. Isn't there a flag in the editor that lets you determine what unit an expansionist civ will get at first? Maybe that should be changed from Scout to Settler, to give them an early game boost? (One that might be more useful than having a scout from the start...)
              |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
              | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

A free settler would be far far too powerful for any civ trait IMO. Instantly doubled expansion = you will be nearly double the size the whole game.

Comment

I voted a resounding NO. If people can't come up with ways to use it properly, well then its just too bad.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                    I voted a resounding NO. If people can't come up with ways to use it properly, well then its just too bad.
                    Nope! I'm alredy expansionist, militarist, scientific, industrious and a lot commercial . My Empire is Greeeeaaaaat! But AI aren't. 'Expansionist' AI civs no expand. Where imperialistic spirit of AI?
                    CiviPort

Comment

I vote yes. I think both these traits are too weak compared to the others.

All games need to be tweaked after release. The experience and knowledge of 1000s of games played is vast compared to pre release testing. Players are bound to find that some things are too powerful, and some too weak.

I disagree with statements like "If people can't come up with ways to use it properly, well then its just too bad." Its silly to assume things were perfect when they were released; with greater testing, the things that need tweaking will be revealed. I think these two traits have been so revealed.
                      Good = Love, Love = Good
                      Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Actually the Zulus are always expanding all over the place and so the Brits.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Im not assuming that they were perfect. Im just saying that some people in this forum have found ways to make Expansionist very potent, and that increaseing its strength will make it too potent.

Comment

Well if Expansionist does become too potent, and people can't think of ways to make the other traits just as potent, well that's just too darn bad.

http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

? I'm sorry monk, I'm confused

Comment

Working...
                              X