Serendipity Part 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, well here are my thoughts for anyone who cares to read them:

I really shouldn't have won this game. I had the smallest and narrowest land mass, with a mere one river and virtually no food bonuses and only 2 luxuries. I had no coal (the most important Industrial Age resource) and relied on Kloreep's benevolence to build my rail network. I was only able to build 5 cities beyond size 12 - reason being I had to pack them so close together to use every single tile of available space as early as I possibly could.

My military sucked big time and I relied on the fact that an archipelago is way easier to defend than it is to attack. Because of my diminutive size and narrow island (many city tiles being ocean and so no shields), I trailed badly in shield production and as a result never had a chance to build as decent a military as you both, particularly since my main focus was city improvements.

The single advantage I had over you guys was my research power, painstakingly accumulated over the ages by masses of diligent workers and by building the right improvements as early as possible. My corruption was also lower, since I built my cities closer together (ie, lower distance corruption), though this advantage reduced later in the game when you both built your Police Stations which I could not build, not having researched Communism.

Because I essentially maintained a tech lead for almost all of the last 2 ages (except for a brief period at the end of the Industrial Age when you cooperated to block me out of trade and catch up), I was able to pre-build and complete the most important wonders before you had a chance to build them. This gave me critical research power as I built Copernicus, Newtons, SETI and the Internet.

As a result, I managed to build an almost unassailable advantage in commerce....which translated into superior research power. At above 70% research neither of you could hope to keep pace with me, which is essentially why I powered away towards the end with the last few Spaceship techs. I can only surmise that neither of you realised how powerful my research capability really was and wrote me off as being in front due to a bit of good luck (perhaps from building Darwins?). I can understand that misconception, given the small size of my civ compared to both of you.

What I could never understand though is why either one or both of you never cut off my supply of luxuries. That was my one major achilles heel, as reducing me to my own 2 domestic luxuries would have necessitated the use of my luxury slider, probably to 20% or 30%. This would have seriously cut into my ability to research and I almost certainly would have fallen behind.

My strategy then was to gamble everything on my ability to build the spaceship first by researching the required techs first. Your cooperative position on tech trading in the modern age certainly helped, but towards the end I could have done it on my own anyway.

Your other option was war, and you both left this too late. I was expecting to be attacked by either one of you for a long long time, and again could not understand why you didn't. Granted, I built an impressive navy to give me early warning of an attack, but I neglected to build an airforce. I suspect it was Dauphin's massive fleet of Bombers that crippled my navy towards the end of the game, but it was too late by then.

At various times during the game I began to devise my own retaliatory military strategies in response to either a military strike or a trade embargo (of either luxuries or coal). I even started planning to take Kloreep's coal island around Industrialisation. I also had a contingency plan to research Amphibious Warfare, build an army of Marines and conduct suicide raids on your major coastal cities (especially Dauphin's) from afar, as I could keep my transports just outside vieiwing reach but still get to the coast in one turn. But this never proved necessary.

All in all a very interesting and satisfying (for me) game. But it also shows that after about 320 turns of Civ, with fully developed civilisations, it's still going to be reasonably close. I would guess you both would have been in a winning position in less than 6 turns, assuming war had not broken out.

Well those are my thoughts. Happy to debate any aspect, and would very much like to hear your respective strategies to fill in the gaps in my thinking.

Thanks to you both for a very enjoyable game over a long period.....3 years and 4 months I believe
    So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
    Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

• Originally posted by Aqualung71
      Ok, well here are my thoughts for anyone who cares to read them:

I really shouldn't have won this game. I had the smallest and narrowest land mass, with a mere one river and virtually no food bonuses and only 2 luxuries. I had no coal (the most important Industrial Age resource) and relied on Kloreep's benevolence to build my rail network. I was only able to build 5 cities beyond size 12 - reason being I had to pack them so close together to use every single tile of available space as early as I possibly could.
      I had no coal.
      I had no oil.
      I had no aluminium.

Any action from the Industrial Age onwards was acutely sensitive to my strategic vulnerability.

My military sucked big time and I relied on the fact that an archipelago is way easier to defend than it is to attack. Because of my diminutive size and narrow island (many city tiles being ocean and so no shields), I trailed badly in shield production and as a result never had a chance to build as decent a military as you both, particularly since my main focus was city improvements.

I had pretty much discounted the possibility of a military conquest being in my interest. It is too easy to defend across ocean, especially in the age of rail. Additionaly, the lack of oil meant building units was reliant on a supplier and it would be extremely easy to emaciate me by cutting of my supply of oil and so my ability to build replacements.

The size of Kloreep's army was comparable to my own and I considered any attack against him to likely end in a stalemate, even with key resource. I also considered that any attack against you would precipitate a response from Kloreep involving a declaration of war against me. Without oil, coal (and later aluminium) that would be devastating.

My only hope was to enter a war with you against Kloreep, but that would never have been in your interests.

I figured my best bet was a space race victory - my production was comparable to Kloreep's and in excess of yours. The spanner in the works was no aluminium - any attempt at a space race victory was a complete waste of time as well it seemed. Should I be close to completing, the simple response from the supplier would be to cut off my supply. Although game mechanics now tell me otherwise.

The single advantage I had over you guys was my research power, painstakingly accumulated over the ages by masses of diligent workers and by building the right improvements as early as possible. My corruption was also lower, since I built my cities closer together (ie, lower distance corruption), though this advantage reduced later in the game when you both built your Police Stations which I could not build, not having researched Communism.

Because I essentially maintained a tech lead for almost all of the last 2 ages (except for a brief period at the end of the Industrial Age when you cooperated to block me out of trade and catch up), I was able to pre-build and complete the most important wonders before you had a chance to build them. This gave me critical research power as I built Copernicus, Newtons, SETI and the Internet.

As a result, I managed to build an almost unassailable advantage in commerce....which translated into superior research power. At above 70% research neither of you could hope to keep pace with me, which is essentially why I powered away towards the end with the last few Spaceship techs. I can only surmise that neither of you realised how powerful my research capability really was and wrote me off as being in front due to a bit of good luck (perhaps from building Darwins?). I can understand that misconception, given the small size of my civ compared to both of you.
      My economy was heavily geared towards cash. I had over 12,000 gold at some points. In 'unit' terms I would say that my gold production was equal or even better than your science research. I say that because I focused on markets, banks etc which had no maintenance cost due to Adam Smith's - and it manifested itself in a massive uplift in productivity on the demographics screen when I dropped my research rate. It was the reason I was never concerned about anyone gaining a tech lead as I had a lot of slack in what rate I could apply myself - and if nothing else I could steal techs. Even at 2,500 a pop I could afford to fail on average at least once and get the tech at cost, and my bank of cash meant I could have plenty of attempts. I also figured that I would be a preferred tech partner if I wasn't the tech leader. Finally, the extra cash could be used for a range of things including spying, build purchases, and unit upgrades.

What I could never understand though is why either one or both of you never cut off my supply of luxuries. That was my one major achilles heel, as reducing me to my own 2 domestic luxuries would have necessitated the use of my luxury slider, probably to 20% or 30%. This would have seriously cut into my ability to research and I almost certainly would have fallen behind.

My strategy then was to gamble everything on my ability to build the spaceship first by researching the required techs first. Your cooperative position on tech trading in the modern age certainly helped, but towards the end I could have done it on my own anyway.

Your other option was war, and you both left this too late. I was expecting to be attacked by either one of you for a long long time, and again could not understand why you didn't. Granted, I built an impressive navy to give me early warning of an attack, but I neglected to build an airforce. I suspect it was Dauphin's massive fleet of Bombers that crippled my navy towards the end of the game, but it was too late by then.
      Until the need to declare war in a last roll of the dice to stop you I had spent the longest time trying to consider a way of taking Kloreep's aluminium (as it was the nearest source) and holding it for enough turns to complete the space race victory myself. My army, airforce and navy was therefore focused around my southeast. Which just so happened to be where the maelstrom that destroyed your navy came from.

When I had oil I decided that an air force was my best bet. A navy is nice but in my thinking the long range of bombers and the fatal kill nature of them made them far more useful than a navy. My land army consisted mostly of defensive units. My bombers proved very effective at taking out your navy with only a few shot down - proving their usefulness. I consider they would have been just as effective in a defensive role (especially when complemented by fighters to take out enemy bombers).

At various times during the game I began to devise my own retaliatory military strategies in response to either a military strike or a trade embargo (of either luxuries or coal). I even started planning to take Kloreep's coal island around Industrialisation. I also had a contingency plan to research Amphibious Warfare, build an army of Marines and conduct suicide raids on your major coastal cities (especially Dauphin's) from afar, as I could keep my transports just outside vieiwing reach but still get to the coast in one turn. But this never proved necessary.

All in all a very interesting and satisfying (for me) game. But it also shows that after about 320 turns of Civ, with fully developed civilisations, it's still going to be reasonably close. I would guess you both would have been in a winning position in less than 6 turns, assuming war had not broken out.

Well those are my thoughts. Happy to debate any aspect, and would very much like to hear your respective strategies to fill in the gaps in my thinking.

Thanks to you both for a very enjoyable game over a long period.....3 years and 4 months I believe
      I was pretty close. All I had left to do was trade our final tech trade and then steal your last couple of techs. I screwed up a bit in that my steal timing was off (I should have tipped my hand after our trade), but even so, I was about five turns away (based on production and likely succesful steal) before I declared war, but that was not soon enough. I had to attack you, take out your aluminium supply and make sure it stayed destroyed until I could take it (before Kloreep). Your nuking of Kloreep also made me feel confident that in any post war scenario I would be favourite to win over Kloreep should he declare war on me.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Last turn I had:

72 Mech Inf
        25 Fighters
        28 Bombers

I also had several battleships and cruisers and a few destroyers and subs.

Comment

• The effect of high and low research rate.

1st at 100% science:

Then at 0% science:

And an absolute gold saving per turn at 0% science for comparison purposes:

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback Dauphin...love to hear Kloreep's thoughts
            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Working...
            X