FAST C3C PBEM game USA Evenings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually Man o War was 1920(?)

I think that Seattle Slew did it in 1977.

Comment

oh right ... i knew that ...
      next thing you know I'll be asking you how Seabiscuit's doing these days ...

on to you
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

To Swissy.

You know you can almost hear the turns clicking off like a clock. Cool.

Comment

yeh ... still going 12-15 minutes each. Wow. Pretty soon we'll have caught up with noobgame ...

Comment

To Swissy.

yes quickly passing everything else we have started even 2 weeks ago.

And approaching a 3 player one that I started 4 weeks ago.

Comment

and back to you.

I can barely get two turns (sometimes) of my SP game in between ... course, that's because I'm at AD 400 and at war with the indians, but still ...

Comment

To Swissy.

I look at it this way. We have a great start that will make the turns during the week not as boring. Or next weekend when I will be traveling and probably down to 1-2 turns a day.

Comment

I'm in 3 other pbem games. One gets 1-3 turns a day, the others seem to be timed in weeks not days.
                  "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

yeh ... only one of my other pbem games has more than one turn per day and that's like 8-9 turns a week... much happier here Definitely like getting the cruddy turns out of the way now.

Also glad of Accel Production ... not sure how anyone can play PBEM without it, otherwise it's twice as long before anything happens ... doesn't matter as much later in the game where we're just throwing 2x as much stuff at each other, but at this point it helps a lot

Now just wish I had gone with a seafaring civ ... (Not sure why the Greeks aren't seafaring, really. They're really the first seafaring civ imho (or rather the Phoenicians who are essentially greek) ...

Comment

To Swissy.

Yes at this moment it would be nice to be seafaring. But as for the Greeks and the Phonecians.... Kind of two different groups (particularly linguistically). There were certainly groups of them that were highly seafaring, but then there were those that were incompetent at sea. The classic Mycenaeans were certainly seafaring (just ask Odysseus)

I think the problem is that the designers looked at the classic Athenian period. Athens and Sparta were not known for naval battles (although the Athenians were not bad) they relied on allies and for some reason US education tends not to talk about Delos, Rhodes, or Illyria. And Alexander and Perseus certainly did not use Naval power. Just the Phalanx. Thus the Hoplite UU.
                      Last edited by MFCamillus; May 1, 2004, 21:44.

Comment

yeh ... realize the phoenicians are quite different peoples but not particularly far away, and likely were melded into the greek culture much like the romans melded various cultures into their own ...

Civ designers definitely focussed on particular periods for each civilization. Byzantines, Ottomans, Russians, even Romans could easily have been very different cultures, but for our limited "standard american education" in history Not that history is particularly practical to most people, but at least then people would have an understanding for why they are where they are ...

Comment

oh yeah, and on to you.

Comment

To Swissy.

If there was one thing that Alexander set a good standard in it was in integrating other societies. That can be seen by the staying power of some of the Hellenistic successor states. It just never ceases to amaze me when I look at a map how far he went and how fast he did it.

Comment

yeh ...
                              one of the books i read a while back, don't recall exactly which one, was an alternate history where a bunch of people got thrown together from different time periods ... british from the afghan conflicts in the late 19th century, americans from the 1990s, and ... Alexander the Great, on his way back (and within a week of his death). Of course, one of the first things that happens is his advisors are told of his near future, and he averts it They end up in Babylon (as in a thousand or two years prior to Alexander babylon, if I recall correctly) ... don't recall the title, think it was by maybe Eric Flint or one of the other Baen authors. David Drake maybe? Anyways, quite interesting book, especially watching Alexander come to grips with modern weapons (even modern in the "brits in the 1880s" sense of the word).

Comment

turn sent

Comment

Working...
                                X